“Excellent location, great riverview rooms”

Wyndham Grand Chicago Riverfront
Ranked #66 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We had a very pleasant stay at this hotel. The location can't be beat. You can walk to Millenium Park, the Art Institute, the Magnificent Mile and tons of restaurants. Our room on the 25th floor overlooked the river and was large and well appointed. The bathroom was small, poorly ventilated but clean with good water pressure. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful as were the bellmen.

While my husband worked, I did some fun activities that I recommend: 2 hour Segway tour of Millenium Park from Absolutely Chicago Segway tour (a walk from the hotel), Chicago Architecture Foundation boat tour (very close to hotel), the Art Institute and shopping on the Magnificent Mile.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverview.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Perfect price point, modern classy decor. Really welcoming staff - upgraded upon arrival (check-out of a horrible nearby hotel) and could not have been happier. Cool and unique, this hotel fits right into Chicago. Great spot to walk to restaurants and shopping. The views - AMAZING. Popped into the restaurant just for a peek- the hostess could not have been more welcoming. Bellman was super helpful and hotel feels very safe. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: River views are stunning!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Hotel 71 is a three star hotel masquerading as a four star. I mean this in the best way. When researching hotels for my most recent trip to Chicago, this hotel really came across as a 4-star hotel. In reality, it is a nice, clean hotel with a great location, great prices (for downtown) but limited services. The decor in the lobby is fresh and up-to-date, but the rooms are pretty plain. Of course, I didn't stay here for the room decor. I stayed for the view - AND WHAT A VIEW!! We upgraded to a river view room on the 33rd floor. They put us in a corner room which was even more phenomenal. We never closed the curtains. For the price, it met or exceeded my expectations in every category. I had a small problem the first morning (with housekeeping - which was otherwise great) and each of the staff members and managers with whom I spoke were very professional and concerned with my satisfaction. I could not have asked for a better experience. I will be back.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 May 2012

I'm a little biased on this review, because my wife and I have been spoiled at other hotels we have stayed at. Not that Hotel 71 is terrible, they just don't measure up to some of the other hotels we have stayed at such as the Westin and our new favorite, Hotel Monaco. One thing that is important to us is a great view and, which Hotel 71 has, but the other hotels we have stayed at have a place at their windows where you can lounge and just relax and enjoy the view. You have to stand and stare out the window at Hotel 71. I know I'm being picky, but you would be surprised how nice it is after walking around all day in Chicago and to be able to kick back and just watch either the city lights or the river (Hotel Monaco actually has a little lounging area built into all their windows - very nice). Also, the walls must be super thin, because we heard our neighbors, talking, not shouting, until 2:30 in the morning! On the plus side, the rooms were clean, but are starting to show wear, which is ok. I know hotels can't stay pristine forever, but I just haven't seen this at our other favorite hotels. They also need to have in-room safes. This is pretty standard in hotels now, so I was surprised we didn't have one in our room. On the plus side, their personnel are very friendly and do their jobs well. Good customer service is important to me and this is why I'm giving Hotel 71 the rating I'm giving it. I think Hotel 71 is a nice hotel, but there are other hotels in the area that are better, at least in my humble opinion.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dwraff
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I stayed here while attending a conference. It has a restaurant, although I didn't eat there. The rooms were an OK size for two people. We had a room with 2 sinks, which was nice. Beds are very comfortable. Close to restaurants. Have a nice sized fitness center with good equipment.
Only complaint was that we asked for a refrigerator and were told all of the rooms have them, which was not the case. They did bring up a refrigerator but it looked old and they just put it on the floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a refrigerator and microwave before arriving if they are important to you.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2012

The river view room was amazing. The 25th floor view of Chicago was truly breathtaking and we got it without even asking for it. We were kindly upgraded by the reception staff from a city view room. The 4 people room was very nicely decorated and big enough to fit any needs. We didn't really have anything to complain about. Prompt service, spotless, amazing location, a great experience.

Room Tip: Try to get a river view room
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2012

My daughter and I were in Chicago in late March to visit Northwestern and enjoy a spring get-a-way for a couple of days. We got a good rate - around $155.00 per night ( make sure you call hotel and ask about special rates and packages, I never just book online - I always call ) Hotel 71 was excellently located for us : near the train ( the EL ) , great shopping opportunities and restaurants. We could walk or ride train to all our destinations, with no problem . Room was clean and comfortable and good deal for the price. Biggest glitch was bathroom door did not shut easily- perhaps needed hinge adjustment for alignment. We had a great view- we had a corner room on a high floor ( tip I got reading other reviews on tripadvisor) . Sneak up to the banquet room area on top floor for even better views!! We had dinner one night at the hotel restaurant and thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Hotel staff was also very helpful and courteous.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family