“Y me”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Y me”
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I was really excited booking my stay for 3days along with the complimentary parking however....After leaving my bank I'd deposited a large amount of money into my account an hour before I checked in. I was embarrassed because after the rep swiped my card he said that my card had been declined and I went straight to the ATM and then I was able to get some money. I had to use the ATM 3 times with each transaction costing me an additional$3.50. I was embarrassed 3 times. I felt singled out because of my race and I will never stay or recommend this hotel to anyone. I usually stay at JW Marriott. I chosed this hotel because of the parking which was the best feature. I used another account which had over a quarter million in the account and it was declined too. I hate this hotel and your staff is phoney and I know mos def that I make MORE money than all of them behind the desk. Never again will I stay here. I can withdraw money from the same account but U declined the same damn card! U made my stay feel like the fifties and never again will I stay at this hotel! I see why some of the staff boycott this hotel. Everyone should be treated the same!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Paul_Daly_151, Resident Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced during the check-in process. Please know that we work to provide a quick and efficient check-in and regret that the processing of your bank card for payment did not work. We do appreciate you staying with us, and invite you to call us directly if you would like to discuss this further. Thanks again for choosing to stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,344)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Delafield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This trip was a last minute adventure. We have stayed in this hotel before but this time got it through priceline randomly and it was a phenomenal deal. Sometimes when we use priceline (and the hotel staff knows upon check in), they treat you differently. Not here! We requested an upgrade and got that too! Rooms are modern, king beds incredibly comfortable, staff are courteous and helpful, breakfast buffet is delicious! All in all, a great stay in Chicago close to both Michigan Avenue and State Street,shopping, museums, the lake, the river, etc. If you're hoping to watch t.v., the satelite coverage is less than mediocre, but we weren't there for that. Highly recommended!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hyatt Regency Chicago on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to hear that you had such a lovely trip downtown with us. Thanks for the gleaming recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel upon your return to Chicago. Take care.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 March 2012

What can I add to the more than thousand reviews already written? No arguments on excellent location. This is the (probably) largest hotel in Chicago. It is a convention hotel. I stayed during one of the largest conventions in the city. Not a member of Hyatt program.

The hotel was full, but check in was fast at night. I was lucky that my rate negotiated by the travel agency included internet otherwise would have been a $15/day, which is unfortunate. A convention / business hotel should include the internet. My breakfast was included but I had to skip it 2 days as the lines were too long. What was really obnoxious was $25 charge if you placed any personal items in the minibar! That is ludicrous. Most hotels leave a small space for personal items.

The bed was ok. If you select the corner rooms they offer a little more space. The bathrooms I would grade as below average for a hotel of this size. The personal shelf space was minimal, and no bath-robe (should be standard at this level).

The hotel is connected via skyways and passages to Illinois center next door and then a small mall with multiple fast food outlets, LensCrafter, Dunkin Donuts and a CVS that you don't have to go outside for great esp in the winter/rain. Two AMC cinemas are within walking distance

Overall you are paying for the location. Average for everything and I give it poor marks for internet price, putting your stuff in mini-bar pentalty.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JeddaCath
Columbus, Indiana
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Stayed at the Hyatt for a 2 night vacation with my husband (Chicago w/o kids for first time, yea!). The location of this hotel is unbelievable; within walking distance to EVERYTHING! The staff was friendly and helpful from the moment we turned our car over to the valet to checking out of the hotel. And loved the Starbucks downstairs (which I think is always open and also offers quick, cheap bfast things...) Our only complaints (and they really are minor...): The refrigerator only holds beverages for sale and is not cold enough to hold any food (there is a sign inside stating this). Wish we would have checked first before our large Italian meal that we couldn't finish! Hate wasting food and we had to throw our leftovers away. Made sure we didn't order too much food from then on. Also the bathroom seemed to have been cleaned in a hurry...it was not dirty, but not spic and span. The bed pillow had a large stain too; we just put it to the side. To be fair to the Hyatt, we didn't address these things with the staff because we were having a great time! We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Chicago and for sharing this feedback on TripAdvisor. We are so pleased to see that you had such a nice couples getaway downtown Chicago. Regarding your additional room concerns, we would have been happy to assist you during your stay. Upon your return if you'd like more refrigerator space we do offer rentals to guests. We hope that we can welcome you back for a perfect stay next time! Please follow up with me directly if you have any items you'd like to discuss.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Nice location, exterior of building could use some updates. The room decor was recently redone and very comfortable. The hotel lobby bar although huuuuge closed at 1am, not exciting. Over all nice property. Valet is $50.00 a night just FYI

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for choosing to say at Hyatt Regency Chicago and for giving this feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy to read that you enjoyed your stay a the hotel. Upon your return join us on Facebook to take advantage of our Work of the Week to save on parking. We look forward to welcoming you back downtown Chicago.
wyoming
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Getting in to the parking garage ( and price )was the only drawback but we did manage to find it on the second try! Check in was a breeze! They offered a upgrade to a city view for 20.00 and it was worth every cent!!! this hotel is located right on the river with the best views of the city. We did not see the lake view as we wanted city views. Make sure to have a drink in the Big Bar as the city lights come on. Beaautiful Staff was wonderful, would/ will stay here again. Everything is within walking distance. You cant go wrong. We were able to get Wi Fi in the lobby and bars so we did not purchase teh WiFi package. Went for fun not work!!

Room Tip: Ask for city view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
So pleased to read that you had a nice couples trip at Hyatt Regency Chicago. Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share this feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back for another couples getaway downtown Chicago. Take care.
Champaign, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I stay at this property every year for Whiskey Fest. I am always impressed that the are always properly staffed at every turn. Valet, check-in, concierge, bell men, the bars and restaurants....NO WAITS!

I love it! 'Cuz I can get right to the whiskey!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
JenniferKedinger, Manager at Hyatt Regency Chicago, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Thank you for staying at Hyatt Regency Chicago for Whiskey Fest. We appreciate your feedback on TripAdvisor. Glad to hear that you made such a great connection with our hotel staff. We hope that we can welcome you back into the hotel downtown Chicago prior to the next festival. Take care.