“kind of worn out” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Chicago

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
InterContinental Chicago
Ranked #73 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Zurich
“kind of worn out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Intercontinental Chicago definitely had its best times a while ago. There is nothing I can really complain about and the building surely has its charm, however there are better properties to stay at in the windy city. The overall service is ok but the staff would not go out of their way to make you feel special. The wait for check in was about 20min.
What I didnt like was the fact that everything costs extra. The value for price ration wasnt too good. Internet access costs, the bottle of water in the room isnt complemetary either and there is not even a small selection of free TV on demand.
The feel in the room is a bit strange and my room had connecting doors to both neighbouring rooms. The bathtub is old and the bathroom not really appealing. The furniture in the room is chipped and worn out quite a bit. There are no slippers in the room and amenities are limited. There is no safe-deposit box. I expect that from a wannabe 5-star property. Meeting facilities have their charm but everything is arranged like a maze due to the age of the building.
I liked the Starbucks that is integrated into the lobby and the bar on the other side of the lobby has a great selection of beer on tap. The Michael Jordan Steakhouse is excellent, great atmosphere and good food.
For business travel the hotel is ok but I wouldnt come here for romantic get-aways unless the rate would be more attractive.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
Dear Sveenz,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us.
I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us.
The feed back we receive is very welcome as it lets us know on areas we can
improve. I do hope to see you again.

Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Rockville, MD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have stayed in hotels and resorts all over the world, and never have I come across a review as difficult to write. I will start with the good, and then the bad. If i could give half stars I would give this place 3.5

The good
1) Location - directly on Michigan Ave
2) The rooms - nice, clean, bed was comfortable
3) Dining/Bars - lots of options, even though we are elsewhere
4) The doormen will get you a cab in less than 30 seconds

The Bad
1) They will nickle and dime you for every last penny, and i felt cheated
a) the mini bar has no price guide. I drank a diet coke from it and was charged $7.12 after tax. I understand you pay a premium for the mini bar, but this is above any beyond what should be legal
b) the gym they charge you $12.00 a day to use it, or $15.00 for your entire stay. I have never seen any other hotel in my life charge for use of a gym
c) parking is $57.00 a night. This is a high rent district, but this is still about $10.00 higher than average
d) our shower was 100% stopped up when we got there. They had to snake the drain during the first night
e) coffee had not been replaced from previous guest

Full disclosure - I paid $89.00 a night through priceline for this hotel this previous weekend. Would i come back for that price? Absolutely. Would I pay the $179 weekend advertised rate? No chance. There are other properties that make you feel more valued and you wont feel like they are trying to take every last dollar in your waller

3 Thank bigdaddylev
texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2012

For the prices this hotel charges they should be going above and beyond on service...NOT! I just recently stayed at this property for 12 days on a business trip and was constantly disappointed.
1. My room was the first disappointment...tip to all who stay here...GO CHECK THE ROOM THEY RESERVE FOR YOU BEFORE YOU GET THE KEYS! Some are much better than others...DO NOT stay in 2014. My room was so small and SO DARK...one tiny window that looked out to a brick wall...no natural light at all. To change rooms was such an inconvenience that I just stayed and made sure to stay out of the room most of the time. The rooms are older and plumbing was an issue the whole time.
2. Room service will break you! $40 for breakfast which consist of egg white omlette toast and coffee??? Really??? Not kidding! Another instance I needed a fork so I called room service and they told me it would cost $5 for a fork! Really??? So I went downstairs in my pjs to the restaurant and got a roll up silverware myself...nice service Intercontinental...NOT! ALso another note on room service...whenever I did call them, they never once addressed me by my name or repeat my room number. Now when I am paying to stay at a place that wants to charge me $5 for a piece of silverware, I do have certain expectations and the Intercontinental never came close to meeting them.
3. Upon checking in a collegue of mine was sharing a room with another coworker...keep in mind that we are here 12 days. She was told they had a king bed. When kindly reminding the receptionist that there were 2 of them, the response was "we will get you a roll away bed"...really??? Yes that was their answer. Finding a room with 2 beds was an inconvenience to them.
4. I had flowers delivered to me during my stay and my friend wanted to make sure the flowers were delivered properly. He informed me that he had the hardest time just getting someone to answer the phone and when they did, the conceirge told him that I was not staying in the hotel! Once that mix up was solved, my friend told the hotel to deliver the flowers to my room and have them in the vase waiting for me...they were not. Note:I had not communicated with my friend of all the bad service I was experiencing. So his experience with the front desk was just ANOTHER situation.
5. They will charge you to use the business center and charge you for each copy you make! When I went in to use the center there was a homeless person sleeping under the desk! The center is on a higher floor not ground level! How can this get by hotel security???
I travel ALOT for pleasure and business. I stay in family b&bs to hotels to vacation rental properties and this was by far one of the worst experiences I have had in a long time.
The Intercontinental is expensive and their lack of concern for the guest is apparent.

Now a few good notes.
1. Great location to downtown CHicago.
2. Front door men are AWESOME...they know how to orchestrate taxis!
3. There is a Starbucks connected to the lobby and it is friendly and you can get coffee and a quick breakfast or snack for 1/4 of what the hotel charges.
4. Michael Jordan's restaurant is in the lobby and it is good although pricey BUT the bartenders make really good cocktails and are very knowledgeable on their craft as well.

My advice, Chicago is pricey anyways...there are SO many places to stay in the downtown area that are newer and less expensive. Save your money for shopping, sight seeing, restaurants and night life and stay elsewhere!

Room Tip: Ask to see room first. There are 2 towers one is historical and the other new. Check rooms on both...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jcks09
IHGCare, IHGCare at InterContinental Chicago, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
Dear jcks09,

Thank You for staying with us and providing your feedback. We apologize for any of the inconvenience caused to you and your co-workers during your stay. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service and are happy doing so. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. We have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. we look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Lin S.
IHGCare
Augusta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights from February 17-20 as we celebrated our wedding anniversary. This hotel is just perfect! It was well worth the $97 a night deal that I got from Hotwire. When they heard it was our anniversary, they worked hard to make our stay extra special.

We stayed in 1461 and had a great view of North Michigan Avenue. The room was super clean and plush. I loved the robes and slippers!

The location is perfectly situated in the middle of all the action on North Michigan Avenue. Plus, it is only three blocks from the Red Line subway, so traveling in from the airport is simple. There's no need to rent a car. Chicago was made for walking!

Thank you, Intercontinental, for such a special weekend. We loved it, and we will be back!

Room Tip: The two-room suite is phenomenal!
2 Thank jmb578
Perrysburg, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

We booked the room on Hotwire. This was the first time we used a third party booking service. I'm not sure if the hotel holds lesser rooms for these services, or how it works, but it so happened that we ended up with an older room, outdated bathroom, and paper-thin walls.

The staff was prompt and friendly, and the hotel was clean. The location was second to none. If considering this hotel, maybe spend the extra for a newer room.

Also beware, parking at the hotel is $57 for every 24 hours!

Room Tip: Maybe consider twice before booking through a discount third party online vendor.
Rockford, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Our friends talked us into staying at Intercontinental. The room was average for an upper end hotel, and was not very clean. The pool was closed for repair, and the check in staff was less than helpful when we tried to change rooms. The room was very noisy with what seemed like some kind of plumbing issue? The bed linen felt very low quality and the bathroom sink area was not in great shape - some of the finished areas were pealing! Not what I would expect of a 3 star hotel let alone a 4 or 4.5 hotel. Go to the Marriot across the street, same great location and a much better hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank g m
Howell, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

The hotel is located in a very convenient location for walking to nearly everything. The valets are very helpful and polite. The entire staff seemed to be very professional. The room was a bit of a disappointment in both size and cleanliness though. We found someones socks between the bed and wall and some toys under the bed. I was also a bit shocked at the daily rate for wifi. Nearly $15 and $20 for normal and high speed access. The biggest disappointment was by far the non functioning swimming pool. This pool is gorgeous. It is obviously a big selling point as it is pictured on their website and most of their literature, including the free postcards in the room. It looks to be at least 10' deep and huge. Unfortunately it was closed and had no water in it. This wasn't mentioned until being told by the bellhop in our room. He had no idea when it is to be reopened. The kids were ready to leave. Fortunately the Marriott across the street allowed us to use their pool. It was very nice of them to accommodate us but their pool is not nearly as nice as the one we thought we were getting. I later found out from an employee that the pool has been empty since October. Better call to make sure that you can swim in the pool first.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family