“Ahhhmazing American Girl Doll Package”

InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile
Ranked #69 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just returned home from an overnight stay with my daughter for an American Girl weekend. We booked the AG package and from the moment we arrived until the time we left, we were in heavan. Jonathan Roby the Room Specialist was awesome and upgraded us to a suite which was totally not expected. We arrived in the room to the AG doll bed & tiarra and later in the day returned to cupcakes, chocolate mile and popcorn left for my daughter. Included in the price was a small breakfast in the morning but the waiters allowed my daughter to have the buffet for no additional charge. The hotel is in a great location, only 5 blocks from the Water Tower and AG store.
We stayed in room 2645 of the newer hotel and I would not hesitate to stay again. Great room, SUPER comfy bed, great smelling sheets and one of the best staff around.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Tracybozz
InterContinental_CHI, Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2012

Thank you for the 5 Stars, we'll be sure to share with Jonathan and the rest of our colleagues!

We hope to see you soon!

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile

Reviewed 3 March 2012

The InterContinental Chicago is a lovely old hotel with an unbeatable location on Michigan Avenue. Our room was on the smaller side but tastefully decorated and comfortable. The art deco pool area was very attractive and worth a peak even if you don't go for a swim. We had room service for dinner, and the food was on par with the rest of the experience at the hotel. We had no complaints about the level of service we received or quality of accommodation. The InterContinental is very convenient for both shopping and sightseeing. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank T_R_Grant

We appreciate your superb rating and feedback! Thank you!

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Stayed there on business this week and was very impressed. All the extra charges like 17 dollars for Internet and 57 bucks for parking did not amuse me but overall a very nice property with a very interesting story begins it.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank ramblingsalesman
Reviewed 29 February 2012

By typical I mean outstanding service, clean rooms and bathroom, top notch amenities and excellent value. My only minor complaints would be that I could plainly hear the tv and conversation going on in the room next to mine. I don't know if that is a problem throughout the hotel - I would imagine not, as it is fairly old construction and walls appear thick. The only other minor inconvenience was my room was quite small. I typically stay at the Intercontinental by the airport, which is a much newer building and the rooms there are probably twice the size. Again this is not a big problem as most rooms in downtown Chicago will be small, but if you want to spread out, I suggest you upgrade to the biggest room you can afford. If you have a car, be aware that Valet parking is $57 per night.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for the biggest room available!
1  Thank Djsubject51
InterContinental_CHI, Manager at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2012

We appreciate your 4 Star Rating Review and value your feedback. We hope to see you again, when you visit Chicago.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Unlike many of the reviewers on here, I had excellent service at the InterContinental Chicago. No service complaints whatsoever. Anyone I spoke with there was extremely gracious and helpful. I will agree, however, that they do go a bit overboard charging for each little thing. $7 for a bottle of water is a bit steep...don't you think? The room was nice and comfortable but not anything out of the way as far as luxury was concerned. Still no complaints there. I understand some people saying it is a bit worn out but I didn't feel that way at all. It's a lovely, old hotel. If you want something new and modern, it may not be exactly what you're looking for but I like this sort of hotel. I travel so much that I welcome a place that's not the same old thing all the time.

1  Thank RetaginTN
Reviewed 28 February 2012

My husband and I arrived at the hotel very early - before 6 AM. We were exhausted and hoping without optimism that there would be a room available. The man at the front desk was incredibly helpful. Even though a single room was not available he let us take a double and then switch to a single when it was ready. It made a huge difference to our first day to be able to grab a few hours sleep.

The rooms were beautiful. Honestly I wish I would have kept the double room because it was much more spacious and had more furniture - not just the extra bed. The furnishings were better than expected - even with a four star hotel. We slept very comfortably. I found everything to be clean and the lobby was impressive. You can take a self-guided tour of the historic building - they will give you instructions. I thought that was a nice addition.

The location can't be beat. We walked almost everywhere we needed to go - the Art museum, to the theater, to the famous hot dog restaurant. It was so convenient to be able to walk out the door and have endless options for eating, drinking, and shopping.

It was wonderful having a Starbucks right in the lobby. I always woke up before my husband and enjoyed going downstairs for a cup of coffee and to read the paper.

We went to ENO and felt they were arrogant and borderline rude. We thought it would be fun to try this ultra-trendy wine and chocolate restaurant but we were really disappointed. We asked for advice on the best menu items to sample but the attitude of our server was almost comically snobbish. We ended up spending an insane amount of money for two glasses of wine, a few bites of cheese and a piece of chocolate - all while receiving bad service. That was one of the most disappointing parts of our entire trip to Chicago.

I recommend this hotel because all of the staff were friendly and helpful because the rooms were nice and comfortable, and because the location was great. We got this hotel for a song because it was the off-season and had a great time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for the wonderful review! We appreciate your feedback and are concerned about your experience in ENO and would like to quickly address. Please contact our Wine Director, at mike.taylor@ihg.com.

Warm Regards,

Robert

Reviewed 27 February 2012

The Intercontinental Chicago definitely had its best times a while ago. There is nothing I can really complain about and the building surely has its charm, however there are better properties to stay at in the windy city. The overall service is ok but the staff would not go out of their way to make you feel special. The wait for check in was about 20min.
What I didnt like was the fact that everything costs extra. The value for price ration wasnt too good. Internet access costs, the bottle of water in the room isnt complemetary either and there is not even a small selection of free TV on demand.
The feel in the room is a bit strange and my room had connecting doors to both neighbouring rooms. The bathtub is old and the bathroom not really appealing. The furniture in the room is chipped and worn out quite a bit. There are no slippers in the room and amenities are limited. There is no safe-deposit box. I expect that from a wannabe 5-star property. Meeting facilities have their charm but everything is arranged like a maze due to the age of the building.
I liked the Starbucks that is integrated into the lobby and the bar on the other side of the lobby has a great selection of beer on tap. The Michael Jordan Steakhouse is excellent, great atmosphere and good food.
For business travel the hotel is ok but I wouldnt come here for romantic get-aways unless the rate would be more attractive.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations IHGCare at InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Sveenz,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay with us.
I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us.
The feed back we receive is very welcome as it lets us know on areas we can
improve. I do hope to see you again.

Katie J