“Excellent location....”

GreenLeadersGold level
Midwest
“Excellent location....”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

.... for shopping. Close to Water Tower Place and across the street from Nordstroms Rack.

Parking is prohibitive at $55 a night, so we parked the car ourselves in the ramp one block away (probably where the hotel would have parked also) for only $35.

Room was nice and we had a view of the Water Tower. Had to request turn down service and also had to ask for chocolates, which were not provided at turn down. Breakfast was very good, but pricey.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bamboola

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Crested Butte, Colorado
Reviewed 7 February 2012

Beautiful rooms, perfect location, excellent service, large room, larger bathroom (w separate toilet and a large tub), everything looks brand new. Very comfortable bed and linens. I can't say enough - amazing!

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Andrew H
Stockholm Sweden
Reviewed 31 January 2012

What a nice hotel! This provided much more value than I expected it to do (and I didn't have low expectations). Was here for a conference and stayed for three nights and here is a summary of +/-

Location : fabulous on Michigan Av and actually has lake view from some rooms (incl 803). Situated just opposite Ralph Lauren and the RL Grill (which was great as well).

Hotel itself : good mix between modern and classic. Standards and cleanliness was very good. Good roomy lounge area downstairs.

Conference facilities : very good and the catering was excellent as well.

Rooms : much larger than expected. Huge bathroom with window across the bedroom for a lakeview (room 803) which was very impressive and nice. The room itself was also very large, great bed, excellent work desk and had all the facilities you might need (excl coffee maker). Very nicely decorated, high standards and very clean.

Fitness room : pretty big, well equipped and connected with the SPA (incl changing rooms). All in all it felt modern and a good place for a nice workout.

Bar / Restaurant : NoMi lounge, bar and restaurant on the 7th floor. Interesting menu with good tasting food. Pretty well stocked wine list and good selection of international and local beers. Service was great and always with a smile (not the least from Stefan).

Service : Excellent, not one bad experience. Everyone very curteous, friendly and professional. A well run team I think.

All in all, this is an excellent hotel that I would recommend to anyone, whether going there on business, for shopping or just a trip away with the family.

Room Tip: get a room with a lakeview
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank RichardU71
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We have stayed at the Park Hyatt several times in the past years. Stayed for the weekend and enjoyed this time too. Great service for check in. Rooms are spacious with very nice amenities. I love the window seat. I could lounge in the window seat with the sun shining on me and read a book with pillows behind me and a great view of the city. Huge bathroom with a large sunken tub, candles, large bathtowels, two sinks, and large separate shower, private toilet area.

Husband used the work out area and said it was large and had the equipment - treadmill, weights that he wanted.

Nomi lounge and restaurant is always good. Nice food options. They had changed the menus and I always loved their champagne cocktail options - something that they had mostly removed but still had some nice cocktail mixes.

One thing I would like to see is coffee in the rooms. No coffee maker in the room. Husband went down to the lobby and in the "living room" area is free coffee and for that morning they had chocolate brownies with truffles. Nice to have but really didn't want to have to go downstairs to get it. That being said the brownies and coffee were good.

Overall we always love the Park Hyatt - great service, great location, nice amenities.

Will stay again I am sure!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelNut70
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My husband & I went back to Chicago to visit the family for Christmas 2011. After one week, we decided to head into Chicago and spend our last 4 nights downtown. The hotel was very welcoming when we checked in and boy, did we have a lot of baggages to load up since we'd been shopping all day. The hotel room was very comfortable and warm, the bed as well was a god send since we had been sleeping pretty rough since we arrived. The staff were helping with their recommendations and everything was within walking distance or a short cab ride to where we wanted to go. I liked the location of the hotel right on the river and slightly off the city centre so it was more peaceful. Will definitely come back next time we stay downtown and will recommend to family members as well.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 24 January 2012

If you are a frequent tripadvisor viewer like, me, you probably scroll through the pictures that other travelers have taken to get a sense of the property. By doing this and observing the photos that other people took of the stay, by the 10th picture of this property, I was sold. You can tell by the sleek, chic room décor how awesome these rooms are. I was inspired and booked my stay here, coupled by the fact that this hotel had dropped significantly in price at the time of my booking, making it the overall winner.
When we pulled up in our cab, even the outside of this hotel is amazing, stunning, and impressive. It is ideally located and truly in the middle of everything. We noticed right away that NoMI is the affiliated restaurant there, which was a good sign for us. Once out of the cab, the doorman is microphoned and asks for your name. He “mics” your name to the front desk so that they can pull up your reservation and that they are all ready for you. It is pretty awesome. The sweetest, most professional reception girl greeted us and processed our check in seamlessly. At our former hotel (the Conrad) we were stuck looking into another office building from our hotel room. Here, we were smart, and requested a view. She stated that it would be $30 more for a view, and we politely declined. This hotel is definitely a splurge purchase, and you really don’t want to pay much more than what you already have paid. Interestingly enough, when we checked into our room, we had a stunning, gorgeous view of Chicago. (Thanks, check in girl!)
In a previous review, I complained that the Conrad had no “WOW” factor, but was simple and suitable. THIS hotel is one big wow factor after another. The lobby is gorgeous, dark, stately, and sexy. It is just a place where you want to stay at as long as possible. When you go into your room, you are just struck by the trendy, cool, vibe that rises up and greets you. The rooms are immaculate and pristinely designed to satisfy even the most highbrow consumer. The blinds are all electronically controlled by the wall, along with your lights and just about everything else in your room. The office desk is this really modern, cool design and swings on over across into the room. I was immediately in love. The main stunner? The bathroom wall opens, so you can take a big, bubble bath, while sitting in your tub, enjoying the view of your room, or outside your window. It is a REALLY well designed room, and smartly aware of what a traveler wants for a comfortable stay. HUGE bonus points awarded for the bedding. This is why you pay more for a hotel room. Probably one of the best nights sleep I have ever had the pleasure of enjoying. In fact, we loved the bedding so much, contacting the hotel about their complete list of bedding / mattress / mattress pad is still on my list of things to do. It is something that I would be interested in replicating for my own home. (Yep. It is THAT outstanding!!)
Here is what makes this a 5 star property: Extras and details. I got to enjoy the most luxurious bath with complimentary bath salts, stocked in the rooms. It was truly a special experience and trust me, we really didn’t want to leave. Additionally, the mini bar is well stocked with all sorts of treats, plus complimentary apples in your room for you to enjoy. We loved everything about the room.
The one downside came into play when I ordered breakfast the next morning. I ordered a basic breakfast ($16 and not a bad price for this nice of a property) plus a side of fruit, a juice, and coffee. When I went to go pick it up, I had to wait about 15 minutes for the girl to get back with my change. I just was left there, standing, with no explanation. I paid in cash, instead of charging it to my room. Normally, this wouldn’t annoy me, but it is early, I am tired, no makeup on as people are trickling in to enjoy their $60 brunch, and I just wanted to pay and get out of there. Instead, I had to loiter around this fancy hallway endlessly for her to get back with my change. Apparently, she explained that they only rely on the bartender for change and since the bartender wasn’t there on Sundays, she had to go downstairs to the reception area to hunt down change. Fine. I would have appreciated being told that, and I would have just charged it to my room to save both of us the trouble. Now 20 minutes later, I high tailed it back to my room, with the breakfast in hand. I open it only to find BLACK toast, totally burned. Really? Who would be so careless to package up burned toast at this nice of a hotel at these prices. My bill was $34 for 1 meal, 2 drinks, and my toast was burned? Fine. I then realized that they didn’t process the order right. It was supposed to include a meat (not included in my takeout) and the toast was supposed to be included (which I was charged for.) SUPER annoying. My coffee had no cream or sugar, which we had to go back downstairs to get. In an ultra-classy, uber trendy hotel, I just would have expected things like this to go much more smoothly. I will say, the staff is super nice, accommodating and polite. It is just the breakfast on Sundays that can use some work.
Reluctant to leave, our checkout was smooth and uneventful. The bellmen are all very prompt and professional; they have been well trained and work very hard for the hotel. We were really impressed.
With the exception to the breakfast blunder, this has become my favorite place to stay in Chicago. I would describe this hotel as dark, modern, sleek, sophisticated, sexy, trendy, professional, upscale, desirable, and luxurious. If you can afford the splurge of spending to stay here, do it. One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in and will look forward to a return here sometime.

Room Tip: Request a view, but don't pay more for it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelingBeautifully
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I speak often of customer service. From Asia to Europe, to here at home....I often have the opportunity to talk about what it means to provide exceptional customer service. For many years, i have shared not one...but SEVERAL stories of where this property made an impression on me. This hotel is simply WONDERFUL!

The location cant be beat. Its on the doorstep of Chicago's best....

The decor is terrific. I prefer a hotel that is not too 'fluffy', and this hotel features stunning artwork, classic furnishings...and a 'WOW' factor that makes me happy every time i walk in the doors.

Nomi is a dining option that is rare in a 'Chain' hotel. Its a Chicago DESTINATION. From the view, to the incredible bar vibe...to the AWESOME food offerings, this is and continues to be a very popular Chicago TRADITION. Even if you arent staying here at the Park Hyatt, drinks at Nomi should be part of EVERY hotel stay.

I have tried the Peninsula, The Four Seasons, The Ritz, and so many other Chicago hotels. I keep going back to Park Hyatt.

The staff is what really sets this property apart. Wow...the stories i have to share. Wonderful, caring stories that will always make this hotel a favorite for me.

Downside? None.

Room Tip: I prefer the lake views, of course. Additionally, i don't like the corner rooms with standard b...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business