“Go Cubs Go!”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #75 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 October 2007

We took the family to Chicago for the Cubs baseball and needed a full service hotel for our stay. We have three children, 11, 10, and 8. We booked two rooms connecting as the hotel is older and the rooms smaller. For example, if you want two beds, they are doubles, not queens. The hotel was very accomodating, placed us on the 29th floor, incredible view of the lake and river! They delivered custom desserts to the children on our second night, along with tall glasses of milk!!

We ate in the hotel cafe every morning for breakfast. Riverside Cafe was terrific with a daily buffet. they allowed our youngest to eat free, and half price for our other two children. Terrific breakfast, very nice service, fast friendly, etc. The location is perfect. Directly on the river, 5 min walk to the nearest train stop, four blocks from the navy pier, $7 cab ride to any place downtown.

The concierge service was great. They made our reservations, gave daily directions, details about walking, taking the train, taxi, etc. Many hotels we have stayed at are not this friendly to families with children.

Our biggest complaint was we could not locate the corkscrew for the minibar!! room service brought one up immediately and insisted on opening the bottle for me. Nice service.

We would go back.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank nebraskabunny

Reviewed 27 September 2007

We made our first visit to Chicago to celebrate our 8th anniversary and the Sheraton Hotel and Towers was great. Everone from the bellman, registration and concierge services were top notch. Easy to walk to things from here...although the location is a bit quiet if you are looking for more action then Michigan Avenue hotels might be better. Their signature bed was so super comfortable. We ate at Shula's one night, it was delicious but a bit overpriced, we also had some drinks at Chi bar one night which was fun. The gym is well equipped but you do have to pay for it (my only complaint). The elevators are also super fast - it was like you pressed the button and the elevator was there. The concierge staff was top notch and had great suggestions and clear, complete directions for everything! Overall had a great time and would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank domandmeg
Reviewed 27 September 2007

We stayed at the Sheraton this past weekend (September 21 – 23) to explore Chicago and go to a Cubs game. Check-in was fast, we had a clean room and very comfortable beds. Our room was on the 22nd floor with a view of the city (fast elevators; never had to wait long). Although we were on a non-smoking floor, our room had a strong smell of smoke. The shower also drained very slowly. I’m sure we could have switched rooms but didn’t bother asking.

The location is great; within walking distance to the parks, beach, Navy Pier, restaurants, shopping, public transportation, etc. At night we took a short cab ride (about a mile) to the bars/clubs on Division & Rush.

The Concierge Desk was very helpful. They gave us walking directions to a restaurant for breakfast (West Egg Cafe) and the El (Red Line) to get to Wrigley Field. However, the El stop at Grand & State (about 7 blocks away) was under construction over the weekend. We had to take a complimentary CTA shuttle bus to another stop. It's only $2 to get around on the El but not very convenient with the construction. We decided to take a cab back from Wrigleyville (about $15).

The mini bar is very pricy ($4 for a can of soda, $4 for a small bag of M & Ms) but there is a Walgreens & liquor store right across the parking lot on Illinois Ave. (about a block from the front door). We didn’t spend too much time at the hotel so we only ate there once. Stephan at the Chi Bar made great martinis and the flat bread pizza was tasty.

Although the hotel charges for internet usage, they do offer complimentary boarding pass printing at the Business Center (behind the Bell Desk). Overall, we had a good stay at this hotel and would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank Debba9802
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Upon booking, I was uncertain due to previous reviews about this hotel. They seemed to be all over the place. More negative reviews seem to be older postings--whereas more of the newer ones are more positive. B/C I was uncertain I contacted a guest coordinator prior to our stay. She was great--she not only followed through (ensuring us a great room)--but followed-up upon our arrival. I would recommend doing this if you are uncertain.
Here's my take:
Location: This hotel is in a great location--positioned between Mag mile and Navy Pier. We had an excellent view of the river and city skyline. Right by the NBC building.
In room amenities: free amenities are limited. The items in the rooms are overpriced. My recommendation is to go to Walgreens across the street (literally across). There are actually Walgreens everywhere in Chicago. Great place to grab snacks. There is a charge for internet (but not too shocking--as many of the hotels I have stayed--charge. Hamptons are really the only place I've stayed that we have had free in-room access).
Hotel Amenities/Transportation: we did not try the pool--didn't even see it. But from what I can gather access to the pool is free. There is a charge for the work-out facility. My recommendation:go walk Mag Mile. We walked everywhere we went (Navy Pier, up and down Mag Mile, Milli. Park, John Hancock Building). We took a shuttle to/from airport--they were very timely. We took a cab to Seoond City.
Housekeeping: the rooms and hotel areas that we saw were very clean. I do kind of inspect for this thing--b/c stray hairs in the bed or shower gross me out--I didn't see any here. Housekeeping was also very nice and non-intrusive. We went out everyday about 10:30a-1:30p--and they had the room picked-up/cleaned by the time we got back--with plenty of towels/washclothes/etc. I was happy about this--b/c in several hotels I've stayed before--this can be a issue.
Check-in: easy/pleasant/quick.
Room size: on the smaller size (but not tiny) compared to some--but it is downtown Chicago and from what I can tell this is common for many hotels downtown based on reviews of the other ones. It's Chicago--we weren't there to stay in the room much anyway--other then to enjoy the view late evening. I do agree with a previous reviewer--turning the loveseat and coffee table around--is a great idea--to sit back and enjoy the view.
Our favorite things in Chicago: view from our room, lounge on the 95th floor of the Hancock building, just exploring downtown/Milli. Park-ate some Chicago pizza that day, Second City--the current revue is great--great team of actors.
This trip was just my husband and I. We would most definitely stay here again. I really don't think this would be a super-kid friendly place. Great for adults. If I stayed in Chicago with my kids--and wanted to stay downtown--I think I might try the Swissotel (close to the Sheraton)--I saw in their website they have rooms specifically decorated for kids. However, their price is a bit more.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annetteboatright
Reviewed 17 September 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August. We waited a while to check in even though there were quite a few desks open, this was a little annoying as the receptionists seemed to work in two's. Our room had a great view of Navy Pier and was a good size. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean. The location of the hotel is the best, we walked to Navy Pier and Michigan Ave. The breakfast buffet was great although a little pricey and the bar very relaxing for a nightcap or two. Would certainly recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sundy
Reviewed 11 September 2007

Stayed here for three nights as a combo weekend/business conference, which was hosted within the hotel.

Though the property was sizable, we had no problems either checking in or checking out. We asked for a room with a view and they did not disappoint. They're located at a very convenient nexus (if you're going on one of the various architecture boat tours that are popular, including the one given by the CAS, most leave from within easy walking distance from this hotel), and had great views of both the Navy Pier and the Chicago skyline, north of the Chicago River.

The room was a decent size, though not huge. If there was any complaint with this hotel, it was the HVAC, with an emphasis on the "ac". My room was comfortable, but I could never quite get it cool enough. The meeting rooms were the complete opposite, and were often cold enough to hang meat.

Of course, the biggest complaint that most travelers have these days is the insistence of the the better chains of charging for Internet access. Why places like Residence Inn can offer their guests free internet access but Sheraton and Hilton cannot is beyond me.

All in all, I enjoyed my stay and would stay again, at the right rate.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank maisany
Reviewed 6 September 2007

I spent 5 nights at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers in Chicago with my husband and 2 boys, ages 11 and 9. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The room (a double) was a little on the small side but fine. They did not have queen size bed, only doubles which was a little cramped when my husband and I were sharing a bed. The location was several blocks from Michigan Ave (approx, 5-8 minute walk,especially with kids). From our room, we were able to see Lake MIchigan and Navy Pier. I thought the location of the hotel could have been better having our lazy kids with us. My younger son did not like walking anywhere and just wanted to take cabs. The city buses are located on Michigan Ave and took about 5-8 minutes to walk there. We took the buses all over town. The train took us to the 2 ball parks. The subway was further away, approxiamtely 10-15 minutes by foot. The food in the hotel was very over priced. There is a Starbucks in the lobby and they charge $3.00 for a samll coffee and $3.00 for a bagel. One of the restaurants in the hotel which was open for breakfast and lunch had a great kids menu for approximately $4.00. The food for the adults was also very overpriced i.e. $21.00 for a breakfast buffet, $12.00 for a waffle, etc. Across the street is a Walgreens which had snacks, water, boxed cereal, etc. I bought snacks for the room and cereal for my kids for breakfast. Also across the street was Dominicks which is a supermarket. There is a Starbucks in there and the coffee was half the price than the hotel. They had a bakery section and all the usual sections in a chain supermarket. There is a lap pool in the hotel which overlooked Lake Shore Drive and Navy Pier. Our kids had fun but sometimes had to share the pool with adults wanting to do laps. On Wed. nights at 9:30, we were able to see the fireworks at Navy Pier from the pool. Great view! Overall, the hotel was fine. If you have kids with you, I would recommend staying closer to Michigan Ave near the buses or trains unless they do not mind walking. State street is also a great place to stay since it is near shopping and all forms of transportation. If you don't mind walking a bit, the Sheraton is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family