“Sheets Were Soft as Sandpaper”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #75 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Stayed 3 nights for an industry conference. Club lounge was a nice perk but not sure it was worth the additional cost to stay on the club floor (other rooms were sold out). Room service was good - but expensive.

Two major gripes:

1) New king sheets were soft as sandpaper. After our first miserable night we asked housekeeping for softer sheets but were told they just got new king sheets and the old sheets had been thrown out. Fortunately I had brought a long sleeve cotton t-shirt and my partner had a silk nightgown or we wouldn't have gotten much sleep on this trip.

2) Peeling wallpaper and ants in bathroom. Not a big deal for me as a guy, but my female partner was not happy.

Mentioned these 2 issues at checkout. Was given a $40 room service credit on a $1200 hotel bill. Employer was covering the hotel, otherwise I would have made a bigger fuss.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank David999Seattle

Reviewed 21 October 2011

We spent 3 nights in this hotel and overall while it wasn't the worst experience, it wasn't the best either. The staff is friendly and helpful. The location is good with wonderful views and our room had a great view of the river. But the rooms was small and ordinary. They put us in some sort of suite the first night and the bed was essentially a pull down sofa bed so we had to switch rooms the second night. With a convention there, the hotel was booked and limited on space and rooms. We paid a premium rate for our room and I wasn't at all impressed. The onsight resturant was horrible - over priced and the food wasn't very good. There are great resturants within walking distance and I'd suggest eating out. Housekeeping was horrible. I think the hotel has the potential to improve. I wouldn't stay at this hotel again and my husband thought less of it than I did and isn't interested in staying at any other Sheraton any time soon.

Room Tip: River Views are the best and so are upper floors. Housekeeping is noisy all morning starting at 7am...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jennifer K
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Had a great stay at the Sheraton. The front desk rep (Brian) accommodated my room type request and even found one with the most amazing view of the river and of the skyline, all because the person in front of me took so long to check in. Everyone from housekeeping to engineering to security went out of their way to acknowledge you and say hello or ask if you were enjoying your stay or needed any assistance. You hardly ever see that anywhere these days and a lot of hotel operators don't seem to understand how far that goes and the impression it makes on a guest. This was the last stop for me on a trip through the Midwest and most of the other hotels I stayed at it was hard to even get most of the staff to acknowledge your existence. Spot On Sheraton Chicago. It really made me fell very welcomed when walking around the hotel. I will definitely make this my go-to hotel when in Chicago.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Ric H
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Attended large professional meeting here. Meeting facilities were fine. Hotel and room clean. Service was professional and friendly. Dining options in-hotel were very limited: basically Shula Steakhouse or room service. (Chicago Burger "in hotel" was shut down.) A bit of a walk to best shopping and restaurant rows; other hotels have more convenient locations. Slow Internet. Would not choose for a personal stay.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 17 October 2011

The hotel is a-okay.. We spent 3 nights here and to what i can recall, the room is average-sized (similar to the rooms at double-tree). What i like about its location is that it's walking distance to one of the attractions in our checklist ( Chicago's First Lady-- River Cruise), but it's a few blocks away from magnificent mile..1 mile approx, bummer. I guess my only complain is that they charge so much on valet service. Alternative: less expensive parking at the service apartment next door.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We had a $300.00 gift certificate that was about to expire so we chose to use it at the Sheraton while in the Chicago area for a volleyball tournament. Total cost of the room was $368.00/night. I get that it is the location that is costly, but I found the room very small and in need of some updating. I was surprised that the rooms were not equipt with wireless. You could use the wireless in the lobby area for free.
Parking is like most hotels in Chicago $50/day.....It is best to park your car and cab it around town.

The bed and bedding were very comfortable, and our view of the water was beautiful.

We had a drink in the bar downstairs...yikes...a rum and coke was $11.00.

The staff in the hotel was friendly, and the room was clean.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Love2vacation2
DanitaCEO, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2011

Dear Love2vacation2:

Your review is greatly appreciated...thank you for sharing. I am delighted that you encounters with our associates and the cleanliness of the hotel met your expectations.

I am pleased to let you know that later this year, the hotel begins the first year of a multi-year guestroom renovation project. While we cannot change the size of the rooms, we will be making changes in the furniture and color scheme in the bedroom as well as making changes in the bathroom. I am confident you will enjoy the look and feel of the new guestroom.

I do apologize for any mis-understanding with regard to guestroom internet access as we do now have wireless internet in the guestrooms. I have asked our director of housekeeping to ensure that each room has the internet information card.

We look forward to welcoming you back and to experiencing our new guestrooms!

Warmest regards,

Danita Harth-Bates,
Director of Rooms and Chief Experience Officer

Reviewed 15 October 2011

I paid over $2,000 for two rooms, 3 nights each to stay here with my family and my sister. Whereas the lobby, location and rooms are great, the hotel is terribly understaffed for the very large amount of guests they have. Staff is mostly a bunch of untrained, rude people. Examples: first, I asked for connecting rooms at check in and "sir, I am unable to find one". Ok, I understand, they may be at full capacity. Second: paid the $49/day for valet parking...called for my car, waited 25 minutes; got my car only after asking several times for it. I had tickets for 5 for the Mary Poppins musical and almost did not make it. When I got back at 11:30pm, there were NO VALET, but a sign that said to go to the front desk...ok, I went and the attendant on duty said with all the best attitude from south Chicago: sir, I need the keys.. they are in the car, I said... to which she responds..sir, I need the keys.. Well, so much for valet parking. On Friday night we wanted to ask about tickets for the musical and the Concierge was no were to be seen. We waited for about 10 min and someone from the hotel walked by and told us he was on a bathroom break. I understand having diarrhea, but only one concierge in a hotel with hundreds of rooms? Worst of all: how many attendants in the front desk for this huge hotel? two. So, lines are long, service is bad, all the employees are in a bad mood. I would say I can swallow this for one night but not for longer than that. Won't stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear DNA Scientist -

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your experience as a guest of our hotel. I deeply regret that we failed to meet your expectations not once but several times during your visit. Please know that the satisfaction of our guests is our most important priority.

Each of your concerns are being addressed with the appropriate department leader so that we can revise our processes to ensure that we not only have the correct number of agents scheduled on any given day but that our associates are cross-trained to assist with concierge related questions should a concierge not be available.

Please know that your experience is not at all typcial for our hotel and should you decide to give us another try and I hope you will, we will demonstrate that we are able to provide the quality of service you have every right to expect from a Sheraton Hotel.

Warmest regards,

Danita Harth-Bates
Director of Rooms and Chief Experience Officer.