“Dirty bed skirts and bathroom”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #78 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed in a double bed room for one night on the 28th floor. The layout for the room is nice however after review the bed for bedbugs I noticed that the bed skirts were dirty. They were stained!! I don't know what the stains were and I wasn't getting close enough to find out. The only reason that I didn't call room service is because I was tired from shopping all day.

The bathroom smelled like urine and I didn't want to shower in there because I didn't know it it was clean! I was very disappointed and I couldn't wait to check out in the morning!

• Stayed: March 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (5,180)

Reviewed 30 March 2012

As golden member of SPG, I was upgraded to excetutive floor as usual, the view from my room is uplifting! The Navy Pier just outside, especially the night view. Me and my Husband really enjoy the longue and the staff who serve us is the best. I cannot remember his name, Rene? is friendly and make me and hubby feel so warm in winter Chicago. He is a happy person try to let us enjoy all snacks in longue...Very impressive!

Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 29 March 2012

For a business hotel, I don't have too many requirements:
- Clean room
- Central location
- Restaurant options
- Good internet connection

The Sheraton delivered fine on the first three, but their internet connection speed has put this hotel on my "do not return" list.

The connection seemed slow at first, so I used www.speedtest.net to test it. I averaged 0.5 mbps download speed when using either the wired connection in my room, the wireless connection in my room, and the wireless connection in the lobby. To put that in perspective, my home connection is 40x faster and the "acceptable" range for hotels these days needs to be at least 5-10x faster. Because of this slow connection, I was not able to access my corporate network and therefore not able to access the programs and data that I needed.

This internet speed is almost unimaginable at a major hotel in 2012, and the fact that they charged $13.95 for it was the icing on the cake.

One additional point for business travelers: I tend to forget things during trips. This time, I forgot my razor. Obviously this is my fault. I called down to the front desk to ask if shaving kits were available and they said that they would send one up to my room. Forty-nine minutes later it arrived, and I had to call the desk two more times to check the status. I could have run to Walgreen's and back in half the time. Just plain frustrating...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We went up to Chicago for a weekend, and needed a place to stay. We found the Sheraton. We got a good rate, $125 for a $300 room, and their parking was only $39 a day. I know... $39 a day doesn't sound like a deal, but try parking in Chicago! Anyway, the website was sick. The place looked old, and classic and I was prepared for a great visit.

The location was good, but the hotel was just OK. The beds were REALLY soft, but that was about it. I asked for the Peter Hart suite, but was denied. (My good friend Peter Hart stayed there a few months ago. It was an inside joke!)

The hotel was just that... a bed, a shower, and that's about it. We were close to the subway, there was a lot of stuff within walking distance. Good trip, but the hotel was decent at best.

Room Tip: When you book your room, ask for a "water view". You either see the water, or the city. We...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ricky P
Reviewed 23 March 2012

This hotel is in a great location just 5 minutes walk from Navy Pier and Michigan Ave.
The room had a wonderful view of the river and downtown sights, bed very comfortable
great linens. Bathroom small and not opulent but fine. My husband and I had a two night stay whilst we enjoyed all the sights of Chicago.
Check in had a long line but another clerk came to help and a hotel employee stood at the front of the line and exchanged pleasant conversation while we waited. Everything appeared geared to customer satisfaction.
Would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great view - also separate elevators which made transit easy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolaprice
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Perfect location for shopping, theater or business. Nice comfortable rooms, pillow top beds good food, speedy room service and excellent work out facilities over looking the river. The internet service was spotty. At times, fast and efficient. In the eveings it was so slow it wouldn't even load gmail.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view of both the lake and the river. You'll love the sunrise over Lake Mi...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank watergirl3663
Reviewed 21 March 2012

The lobby area is fantastic. The guestrooms are outdated. I would not recommend this property to those who are not there for a convention. The property sits far off from all the "action" of Chicago so if you are into walking to the attractions, this hotel is not that convienient. My experience wasn't horrible that I wouldn't stay there again, I just feel there are better situated properties that are not as outdated.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business