“Great hotel for business”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #75 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This hotel is huge and so they host a lot of large meetings and conferences. With thousands of guests at any given time, there is no personal service for the average traveler. The location is in the heart of Chicago with good access to almost everything. The facilities are convenient and fairly well-maintained. There is a fee for everything.

As an example, knowing that hotels have hundreds of mobile device chargers left behind every day, I asked about borrowing one from the concierge for my stay since I'd forgotten mine. They offered to charge my device at the Concierge Desk. Then proceeded to open drawers literally crammed to the brim with chargers to find one to fit and then I waited patiently in the lobby until there was enough charge to get on with my life, however, they couldn't possibly lend me one because someone else might need it.

I stay here during conferences because it's convenient and because I know what to expect

Room Tip: The higher floors are better and a lake view is always nice. Stay away from elevators and ice makers...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lmf22purple

Reviewed 5 April 2012

Staff was very nice, good location, but bathroom was outdated compared to the rest of the room. The floor was VERY slippery whether you were wearing shoes or barefoot - had to be VERY careful. Had a great view of Navy Pier and was able to walk nearly everywhere. Only complaint was the bathroom - bedding was plush and temperature easy to control. Very quiet which was nice.

Room Tip: Would ask for room overlooking the river or navy pier. Higher level floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bailey01Michigan
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I found a great deal on hotwire for this room therefore it was an EXCELLENT stay for the price I paid but at the hotel's asking price of $229 I don't feel that it lives up to that price. The front desk staff were very polite and allowed me to leave my bags in the luggage check until my room was ready (I arrived at the hotel at 10:30am) and they called my cell when the room was ready for check in. I had a very small "double" room which consisted of two FULL sized beds. It was fine for me because this was for a "mommy daughter" get-a-way so there was only one adult and one child in each bed but if two adults needed to share it would have felt very "dorm like". The bathroom was very yellow/dingy looking and there was hair in the tub and ON THE CEILING??? I re-cleaned the tub myself instead of calling to have it done because I was too exhausted after our walking tour of Chicago to bother with with front desk. Bedding was EXTREMELY confortable but bedskirts are dirty. They looked like they may have been scuffed from various pairs of shoes? I was on the 16th floor with a "city view" but it was more of a view of an empty gravel lot than anything else. Maybe the higher floors get more out of the city view. The wireless in the rooms are $13.95/day with free wi-fi in the lobby. I did sit in the lobby doing online homework for about 2 hours, great atmosphere, good variety of music playing. The location of the hotel is great, withing walking distance to just about all of the places we planned to visit on our trip. We walked to the American Girl store, Millinium Park and Navy Pier. We took a cab to Shedd Aquarium but ended up walking back so we could walk along the water and see the Buckingham fountain (it was about a 30-40 min walk back). Overall a very nice hotel as far as lobby and main areas but rooms could use some work.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 April 2012

The location in Chicago is great if you have meetings downtown or if you need to head north/south early morning because you are driving opposite of traffic. I had a 8am meeting at UChicago and made it from the hotel to the school in 15 minutes which is amazing considering the time and Chicago traffic.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We live about 90 miles from Chicago and go a few times a year to hit shops and museums. This time, our group included six adults and six children in three rooms... two rooms had views of the river and one looked out to the Navy Pier ferris wheel. The hotel was extremely accommodating... they had no problem putting the rooms together and requests for extra pillows/blankets/towels were no problem. The staff was unusually friendly so much so that it really stood out to us. Because we were such a large group, we decided to eat breakfast in the hotel restaurant and I have to say they have a FANTASTIC buffet. We sat down and looked at the menu and saw it was very pricey ($24/person) so we actually started to walk out. The staff followed us and said all the kids eat free... so if you have a number of children in your group, it is a value... I'm not sure that they have this on any signage so ask before you sit down. (Of course, the total check was $187 for breakfast which is totally high but everyone was so full it counted as our lunch as well so that's why I say value.) There is also a pool... it is small and was extremely crowded but it is a pool none-the-less in the city. And, perhaps most importantly, the location is very good. Our immediate family includes three children (11, 9 and 4-yr-old in a stroller) and we walked up to American Girl, over to Navy Pier, into the Theatre District over the weekend with absolutely no need for cabs. The parking is standard ($51/day) but they do not charge for a second day if you move your car before 6 p.m. on the second day. Therefore, we spent $51 for parking for the one-night/two-day trip which is decent by Chicago standards. We would absolutely return again on a future trip. A great time was had by all!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I stayed in a double bed room for one night on the 28th floor. The layout for the room is nice however after review the bed for bedbugs I noticed that the bed skirts were dirty. They were stained!! I don't know what the stains were and I wasn't getting close enough to find out. The only reason that I didn't call room service is because I was tired from shopping all day.

The bathroom smelled like urine and I didn't want to shower in there because I didn't know it it was clean! I was very disappointed and I couldn't wait to check out in the morning!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 30 March 2012

As golden member of SPG, I was upgraded to excetutive floor as usual, the view from my room is uplifting! The Navy Pier just outside, especially the night view. Me and my Husband really enjoy the longue and the staff who serve us is the best. I cannot remember his name, Rene? is friendly and make me and hubby feel so warm in winter Chicago. He is a happy person try to let us enjoy all snacks in longue...Very impressive!

Stayed: February 2012