5,388 results
All reviewsthe rivernavy pierthe club loungeshula's steakhousewithin walking distanceconcierge deskmichigan avewhole foodsthe magnificent mileself parkingmini fridgefitness centercorner roommillennium parkhotel is in a great locationmag milethe loop
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We are having a great time in Chicago, so this is not just a review written by some disgruntled traveler. This is an honest assessment of this crappy, substandard hotel that we were unfortunate enough to have booked. Here is what we got:

First, in order to get a $40 per night discount on the room, we had to pay up front on the phone... two days and nights, unrefundable. Okay, so we did: $103 a night as opposed to $143. So the room was paid for and he HAD to stay there.

Finding the hotel was VERY difficult, even with a GPS. We had to use the GPS and call the front desk.... "we think we're in the area, but we're underground in what looks like a boiler room." "Yes, that's the parking area. Park and take the elevator up...." So we parked in this dingey, damp, VERY DANGEROUS looking underground roadway, and scurried to find an elevator to take us up before we were mugged, robbed, raped, and plundered.

So we get to the lobby... and keep in mind, we are, two casual acquaintances....and we had ordered a room with 2 double beds. NOPE! Although we paid in advance for our two double beds, the hotel had none. Instead, we HAD to take one king sized bed and a roll-away. We argued, begged, pleaded, etc. But there was nothing we could do. We paid in advance, so there was no refund...... and now we HAD to take the single bed and the roll-away. There was no alternative and the hotel guests made it VERY clear, almost to the point of anger.

The room had a dismal view of a parking lot. No mini fridge (you can get one, but it's $30 bucks more). The shower head WAS GREAT! The only thing that was good about this hotel. The WIFI costs $19. It is not free!

AND.... have you ever heard of a "continental breakfast" that costs $19 a person? Yep! No free breakfast here.

This is really a crappy place! As I said, we are having a great time in Chicago. But this hotel is clearly a low low low point of our trip. This is a city filled with hotels. If you want to stay somewhere nice and accommodating......who won't pull a bait-and-switch, lock you in and give you something else, give you a room with a poor fiew, charge you for a fridge, wi fi, and breakfast, and give you poor service on top of it all, then YOU DO NOT WANT TO STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tom A
Kevin K, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2012

Dear Tom A.,
Thank you for your very thorough review of our property. While it pains me to read of your dissatisfaction with your experience, we do appreciate the feedback that gives us the opportunity to improve.

I do apologize about your desired room type not being available upon check-in and regarding the associates' demeanors that assisted you. I have forwarded your notes about your interactions to our Director of Front Office so she can follow-up directly with the team.

I would also like to apologize about the location of our parking garage in relation to the hotel. I understand that it can be a little confusing but can assure you that the area is very safe. Our property safety and security team is centered just across the sheet as you enter the doors to the hotel and are proud to say that there has not been a security incident in the that area in over 10 years.

I can also understand your dissapointment with the charge for our in-room WiFi but would like to point out that as of January of this year, we are happy to offer free WiFi to our hotel guests in our lobby and in the Link Cafe.

Finally, I would like to apologize for the miscommunication regarding our continental breakfast in LB Bistro. Although we do label the breakfast option as a "continental", it encompasses much more. With the $19 Contintental Breakfast, you can enjoy all offerings from two of the pod stations in the restaurant, including made-to-order parfaits with over 10 ingredients available, a create-your-own smoothie station, fresh squeezed juice/smoothies of the day, steel-cut oatmeal, assorted cereals and that's only one pod! At the second pod, we have an assortment of fresh baked pastries and breads, made-to-order pancakes and a create-your-own crepe station with both sweet and savory fillings options.

If a lighter breakfast is more what you are looking for, we have ala carte options in the restaurant and the Link Cafe, where you can enjoy fresh pastries, breakfast sandwiches and an assortment of Starbucks coffee drinks.

Once again, I sincerely apologize that we were unable to exceed your expecations during your stay and hope that you will give us the opportunity the next time your are in Chicago.

Warm Regards,
Kevin Kalkut

Reviewed April 6, 2012

This hotel is huge and so they host a lot of large meetings and conferences. With thousands of guests at any given time, there is no personal service for the average traveler. The location is in the heart of Chicago with good access to almost everything. The facilities are convenient and fairly well-maintained. There is a fee for everything.

As an example, knowing that hotels have hundreds of mobile device chargers left behind every day, I asked about borrowing one from the concierge for my stay since I'd forgotten mine. They offered to charge my device at the Concierge Desk. Then proceeded to open drawers literally crammed to the brim with chargers to find one to fit and then I waited patiently in the lobby until there was enough charge to get on with my life, however, they couldn't possibly lend me one because someone else might need it.

I stay here during conferences because it's convenient and because I know what to expect

Room Tip: The higher floors are better and a lake view is always nice. Stay away from elevators and ice makers.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank lmf22purple
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Staff was very nice, good location, but bathroom was outdated compared to the rest of the room. The floor was VERY slippery whether you were wearing shoes or barefoot - had to be VERY careful. Had a great view of Navy Pier and was able to walk nearly everywhere. Only complaint was the bathroom - bedding was plush and temperature easy to control. Very quiet which was nice.

Room Tip: Would ask for room overlooking the river or navy pier. Higher level floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Bailey01Michigan
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I found a great deal on hotwire for this room therefore it was an EXCELLENT stay for the price I paid but at the hotel's asking price of $229 I don't feel that it lives up to that price. The front desk staff were very polite and allowed me to leave my bags in the luggage check until my room was ready (I arrived at the hotel at 10:30am) and they called my cell when the room was ready for check in. I had a very small "double" room which consisted of two FULL sized beds. It was fine for me because this was for a "mommy daughter" get-a-way so there was only one adult and one child in each bed but if two adults needed to share it would have felt very "dorm like". The bathroom was very yellow/dingy looking and there was hair in the tub and ON THE CEILING??? I re-cleaned the tub myself instead of calling to have it done because I was too exhausted after our walking tour of Chicago to bother with with front desk. Bedding was EXTREMELY confortable but bedskirts are dirty. They looked like they may have been scuffed from various pairs of shoes? I was on the 16th floor with a "city view" but it was more of a view of an empty gravel lot than anything else. Maybe the higher floors get more out of the city view. The wireless in the rooms are $13.95/day with free wi-fi in the lobby. I did sit in the lobby doing online homework for about 2 hours, great atmosphere, good variety of music playing. The location of the hotel is great, withing walking distance to just about all of the places we planned to visit on our trip. We walked to the American Girl store, Millinium Park and Navy Pier. We took a cab to Shedd Aquarium but ended up walking back so we could walk along the water and see the Buckingham fountain (it was about a 30-40 min walk back). Overall a very nice hotel as far as lobby and main areas but rooms could use some work.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed April 1, 2012

The location in Chicago is great if you have meetings downtown or if you need to head north/south early morning because you are driving opposite of traffic. I had a 8am meeting at UChicago and made it from the hotel to the school in 15 minutes which is amazing considering the time and Chicago traffic.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business