“Two stays, multiple issues... better alternatives” 2 of 5 bubbles

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #66 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
San Diego, CA
“Two stays, multiple issues... better alternatives”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed twice in the last few months. First of all, the location is very good and the rate is also very good, but probably not much different from the Four Points which has a better location. I am SPG gold.

First stay (one Sunday night only) was upgraded to club level, not bad. Rooms are decent, club is large and comfortable. Nice view of the river. Check-in was quick (though again it was late on a Sunday, next day was a holiday). However, when I got home I found I got charged $50 for parking when I had no car. This was not on the folio I was provided upon check out. I had to e-mail and call multiple people to get the issue sorted out -- first to get the new, updated folio, then to figure out who to deal with, then to actually request the correction. Good thing I was checking my credit card statement.

Second stay (two nights, Thursday and Friday) started out poorly. Slow check-in. Minimal SPG gold recognition and no upgrade. It was a busy weekend and a lot of families were there, very loud in general both in the lobby and around our room. First room I go into smelled terribly of smoke. Housekeeping really should have noticed this and let the management know so they don't give it out (it was a non-smoking floor). So I call the front desk, they agree to move me. I stand outside the room for about 15 minutes waiting for someone to come show me my new room, I get a guy who just confirms my name and hands me a key and walks away. Fine, new room, actually on a lower floor. Was kind of expecting some kind of upgrade or amenity (had an issue with the Westin River North before and they upgraded me when I had to move rooms).

On the second day I called to request a 4 pm check-out, which is at this point guaranteed for gold members except at resorts and conference centers (which this location is not). The guy on the phone says he can do 2 pm. I call him on it and ask him, isn't this guaranteed? He says well, the hotel is busy the next day, can't do it. Not wanting to argue any more, I just accept it. On the way back from dinner, I stop by the front desk and ask again, and at least this time he confirms that it is guaranteed and gives me the 4 pm check out.

All in all, I've run into too many issues at this one location with little or no compensation. Yes their rates are good but the location is not better than any of the alternatives. Four points will probably be as good of a rate with a better location, Westin River North provided much better service, and I haven't had any major issues with the Westin Michigan Avenue or either W (Lakeshore and City Center). I likely won't be staying at the Sheraton unless the rate is significantly lower than the alternatives.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,345)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Doylestown, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Just returned from a 4 day Chicago weekend with my mother. We were visiting my daughter who attends University of Chicago. The hotel was really nice, don't listen to the negative reviews. The rooms were spacious and everything was new and fresh. We were very comfortable. The hotel was close to everything good in Chicago, lots of good restaurants and shopping, what a great city to walk in! We were also close to lots of public transportation so getting around was no problem.

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed at the Sheraton for 2 nights during Easter. I am a SPG platinum and was upgraded to a suite with a lake view. Beautiful room, nice shower with hot water and nice water pressure. Nice health club with sauna and separate locker rooms. The club room was huge, largest I have seen at a Starwood Property. The only complaint was someone's room service tray was sitting by our door when we got there and was still there when we checked out 2 days later.

Stayed April 2012
Windsor
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We checked in late Thursday April 5th to be told they did not have 2 double beds for us.
As we have a 14 year old a king would not do. They gave us two king rooms, one door seperated us. My husband took the other king room. The clerk accommodated us with
breakfast vouchers for 2 days, we were very happy with this.$150.00 total comp.,
Loved the view of the river, the staff was excellent. Breakfast buffet certainly wasn't worth $24.95 but non the less it was free. The hotel was clean, the staff was friendly and courteous.
The pool could have been a little warmer but other than that, a nice place to stay.

Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We got a great rate by booking from the SPG website, so we started off on a good foot. When we got to the hotel, it was packed with lots of families, so it was a long checkin process, but again, worth the wait. Asked for and got a renovated room, which was great again. The breakfast was fine, the club floor access was super, except that again, crowded with lots of families...the poor staff looked overwhelmed. Some families were letting their kids run around without supervision, which put stress on other guests and of course the staff. The pool was fine, but a bit too small for the 4th largest hotel in the city. Location was terrific, we walked everywhere. Parking was expensive, but it was the same price all over town, so park at the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
1 Thank SunLover25
Auburn, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

Overall, a good stay. We booked via hotels.com, and therefore prepaid. In our requests (noted that it could not be guaranteed) we asked for two double beds as we are traveling as a couple with our 6 year old daughter. Upon arrival, the valet service was impeccable, worth it - but be prepared for $51/24hrs. At check in, we discussed our request with Esteve. While he was efficient, he was not overly friendly or necessarily helpful. He indicated that there were no double rooms remaining. Fine, so we requested a rollaway bed. He checked on the rollaway to discover that no rollaways remained either. So, our predicament... while we've spent many a night with our 6-year old squeezing in bed between us, we'd hoped to avoid that situation. We agreed we'd make do. (Esteve indicated that they had been giving a second room to those who were traveling in quads...we suggested that was probably not necessary for our family.) The solution ultimately was a $50 room credit - which covered all but $1 of our parking, and vouchers for the $24.99 breakfast buffet. So, in all, we were "comped" $100 for our trouble, and our daughter was exhausted enough to crash out on the floor with the feather duvet. For the price, the location was perfect - walking distance to Navy Pier. ~$10 cab to Willis Tower. Cleanliness was average - bathroom was slightly dated. Room was small, with just enough floor space for our daughter's campout and tip-toeing around.

Saskatchewan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers for a second time this March because the conference I was attending was at the hotel. The location is good (walking distance to most everything). However, the room was filthy. I had to move the bedside table to plug in a charger and it was disgusting to see the amount of dust and discarded items behind there. I even left the table pulled out in hopes that housekeeping would clean behind there but they never did the entire time (4 days) that I was there.

I also looked under the beds and it was very dirty under there.

The windows were so dirty I couldn't even enjoy the view.

Finally, wifi was a joke. I could barely load email nevermind watch any video.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business