“Great Staff (Except For One)”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #76 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

In Chicago for the NACS convention. Everything was well done from a quick check in to checking bags. The hotel bar was pricy, but the service was great. The morning breakfast buffet was outstanding- omelet guy was on point, except... our server WROTE in his own tip!!! (Not “tip included,” he wrote it in with a pen!). Management made it right, so it’s likely not a normal thing.
Overall a great experience.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Very large, very posh hotel. Lots of marble everywhere. Reception lady was non smiling, saying all the right things but meaning nothing. Quite unwelcoming I thought and I have stayed in hotels worldwide. Sheraton Grand you expect a little connection with the customer.
Room was OK and nice comfortable bed. Over the bath shower, which in this day and age is antiquated.
Minibar and snacks - don't touch anything. If you do it automatically charges you. You won't get any locally (cheap) water or beers in the fridge. They have designed it so tight there is no slack room. A Corona which nearly makes it into the proper beer category will cost you 8 bucks...

Access to WiFi is also a rip off. You can have access to 10mbit down load for $13.95 or 30mbit for $18.95 for 24 hours!!.
It costs the hotel nothing.
However, this allows you access for 15 devices. Obviously aimed to rip off the conferences forgetting about all the poor tourists. That said, on complaint at reception I was given complimentary access for my stay.
So do it !
Û

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank William K
SheratonChi, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hello William K.

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that you did not feel welcomed upon arrival and will share your feedback with our team.
We do offer complimentary Internet in the lobby as well as the guestroom for all reservations booked via a Starwood channel and for our SPG members!
We appreciate you giving us a detailed review and look forward to being of service to you in the future.

Kind Regards,

Shaun M.
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Spent 3 nights in Chicago and was very happy with the Sheraton Grand. It's situated well within walking distance of anything downtown and had magnificent views of the beautiful skyline. Enjoyed the pool, and the club lounge absolutely made the stay for us. The wait staff, especially Rene, were extremely friendly. Enjoyed the appetizers and breakfast, and as we were in a large group, enjoyed spending the evenings together there watching the Cubs on TV. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Was disappointed that the bar fridge was totally full with items for purchase and couldn't put our own drinks in it.

Room Tip: River view is really nice.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

Reserved a suite for business. Arrived and was treated like I was a bother. Plus, he said there is no late checkout because I was in a suite. The “suite” as it turned out was simply two mediocre smallish adjoining rooms with a view of the roof. The table was very dirty and there was no water or any of the normal SPG member goodies.

This is the second Sheraton stay in a row that I have been very disappointed. For the price, you can do much better than this this Sheraton in Chicago.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank MothLarva
Alexandra G, Manager at Sheraton Grand Chicago, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2017

Hello MothLarva,
I appreciate you sharing your experience and wish we didn’t fall short in this situation. We certainly appreciate your loyalty and I am sorry that you did not feel that. We believe in action, so I’m sharing your feedback with our front desk team so they can make every effort to improve. If you decide to return to Chicago, I hope you’ll let me know so that I can ensure you are taken care of. If you wish to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to call me at 312.329.6951.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2017

I stayed at this hotel for about a week for a conference and leisure in Chicago. Overall a great location although the hotel feels a little old with regards to the decorations and furniture in the rooms. The fitness center is nice although the treadmills need to be cleaned. The steak house and restaurant on the lower lever are very over priced. I appreciated the fact that you could order extra towels, pillows and etc through a text message. The hotel staff was nice, however nothing above and beyond. I am a gold member however that meant absolutely nothing at this hotel. No room upgrade or additional perks.

Room Tip: get a high floor with a view of the Chicago River
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business

Hello Jscav,

I appreciate you sharing your experience and I apologize that your stay fell short of your expectations. Thank you for your feedback. We certainly appreciate your Elite Gold SPG status, as well as your business. If you would like to discuss your stay further, I would love to connect with you at alexandra.gale@sheraton.com.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 18 October 2017

We reserved a superior king. Room was very nice but the services were anything but superior. To start, when you are paying over $300 peer night you would expect that wi fi would be provided as part of your covered services - not so, it is over $13 per night for wi fi. I travel the world and this is the first place in st least two years that still charges for this basic service. Second, we were offered a green option "Make a Green Choice" to help save water, electricity, natural gas and cleaning products. For this you receive a credit of $5 to spend on food and beverage. What they do not tell you is that you get no services whatsoever - no trash removed, no replenishment of coffee or tea used and no bed made. No maid service at all. Now that certainly is worth more than $5. Lastly, each of the four days we were there used food trays, dishes etc were left in the hall way leading from our room to the elevators. I am not talking about for an hour or two but for all day and into the night. We had a great time in Chicago but were not impressed with what the Concierge referred to as a luxury hotel. There are lots of choices within 400 yards of the Sheraton.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Gillian M

Hello Gillian M,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. Every aspect of our hotel is intended to help make your travel experience better and more enriching, and I’m so sorry we failed to achieve that during your stay. Thank you very much for your feedback regarding the Make a Green Choice program as well as the trays in the hallway. We will follow up with our teams regarding the challenges you experienced. If you wish to speak further, please contact me at 312.329.6951 so I can make it right.

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 17 October 2017

What a pleasure to work with someone like Crystal Mathis in the Group Sales Department. She was extremely helpful after I had a major issue with booking rooms through our conference portal. As a Marriott /Sheraton Platinum Elite member it is so nice to know that our patronage and loyalty is recognized during difficult situations and employees are empowered to show real customer service. Thank you Crystal!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business