“A nice hotel made better by an outstanding staff”

Sheraton Grand Chicago
Ranked #75 of 192 Hotels in Chicago
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 17 February 2010

We were in town for the Chicago Auto Show, and this was the "official" hotel for the show. We got a fair rate plus free tickets to the show, so we chose to stay there. From the moment we pulled into the driveway and were greeted by the bellman, our experience with the staff was excellent. Everyone was polite, courteous, and helpful. Although the room seemed clean, the beds were comfortable, it was quite, and the price was nice, it's not a "gotcha" hotel in terms of being out of the ordinary. And that's not a snub, it was a nice place. But the staff is what really makes you want to stay there again, they're that good.

A word of caution. Use the valet service if you have a car to park. The self-park is across the street and underground, so it may not be the safest place to park. I didn't have any problems, but I really didn't want to go out to my car after dark when I forgot to get something out of it. And it was $16 a day, so it was no bargain. Use the valet parking.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 February 2010

This hotel was one of the host hotels for the "Chicago Style" gymnastics meet. The hotel was easy to find and the location was great. The staff was helpful and friendly. The shuttle to the Navy Pier was fast and efficient. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfy. However, you will be charged a “fee” for use of the computer and use of the workout room. Don’t touch the water bottles in the room unless you want to pay an arm and a leg. Parking costs $50 for overnight. The rooms are poorly insulated and you can hear everyone and everything that goes on in the halls and in the rooms around and above you. The hotel was nice but overall I was not impressed especially for the price.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed 11 February 2010

One of the better Sheratons I have stayed in. It is tucked away behind Michigan Ave, but close enough. The Club Level rooms were nice and spacious.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Evening staff were a delight. Gave great ideas for dinner and evening entertainment. I usual stay at the Marriott, however, after this trip I will definitely recommend the Sheraton Towers to other colleagues.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers in February. Everything about the hotel and experience was superb. The location was wonderful as well. Our room overlooked the river and we had a great view of the lake towards Navy Pier. The best part of the stay was the "sweet sleeper" bed. It was so comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful as well. Nothing bad to say about this Sheraton! I will stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 February 2010

I enjoyed my stay overall, but was upset by having to pay extra for Wifi and to use the workout room! Sure you can swim free, but there's no hot tub. I have never had to pay to use a treadmill at a hotel before. Breakfast cost an arm and a leg as well. It seems that no one will leave the hotel for breakfast because it's quite a walk, so they can charge whatever they want. I feel that the price I paid to stay at the hotel should have covered the rest of the amenities.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I was really excited when I booked my room at a seemingly good discount for New Years Eve. When My friend and I arrived we were totally psyched to see our room because the lobby was so gorgeous. Check in went smoothly and we were allowed to check in a few hours early. When we walked to the elevators there were security guys asking to see everyones key card, I'm still not exactly sure what the deal was( they were gone when we got back from the club we went to at about 2 am.). They elevators were a bit small but whatever. When we got out on our floor (18) it was absolutely freezing. We found our room and finally got in after having some difficulty with our key cards. We were so disappointed when we saw how small the room was . We actually thought there was something in bouth the beds at first because the covers were so lumpy. We dropped our stuff and headed out for some pre-party shopping without really checking things out. When we got back a bit later we started exploring. We found the mini bar inside the dresser/tv stand. It was disgusting. I would never have eaten anything that had been in that thing. Then we discovered that once you opened the doors on the dresser, they wouldn't stay shut unless slammed. My friend decided she wanted to take a nice long bath and went into the bathroom. And immediately walked back out. When I went to see what the problem was I saw a filthy tub that had some thing yellow and crusty on the edge. There was hair all over one of the towels and so much mildew gathered in the corners I refused to walk in there barefoot. When it was my turn to shower, I looked up and saw a pube hanging out next to the one and only light in the bathroom( it provided very little actual light. The towels were like sand paper too.
The next morning we waited 15 minutes to get an elevator going down that wasn't over crowded. We finally had to take one that was going up (as did several other people). It then took us 15 minutes to get to the lobby. I could feel the floor flexing everytime someone shifted their wait.
There were a few other things that bothered me as well but this review (complaint?) is already too long.
The beds were really comfy though.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with friends