Lowest prices for your stay
Marriott Bonvoy member rate available
Marriott Hotels
Book Now with Marriott Bonvoy
C$193
All reviews front desk concierge lounge orange line fitness center shuttle starbucks downtown internet
Selected filters
Reviewed September 7, 2016

Horrible customer service, made everything else just so bad.

We were having a labor day weekend vacation with family in Chicago and had 3 rooms for 2 nights at this hotel. We got this hotel through priceline express deals. I have purchased through priceline express deals plenty of times, but I have never had such a horrible experience.

I try to compromise on situations to make things easier, which I had to do right away after being greeted at the front desk. After booking my reservation through priceline about a month and half ago before our stay, I had called the hotel to request for 2 queen beds for all 3 of our rooms. They responded that it will not be guaranteed, but they will make a note of it on the system. I called again a week prior and a day prior to our stay and I received the same response.

On the day of our reservation (Saturday 9/3/2016), my family and I landed at the airport at 9 am and I called them to see If I can do an early check in. After asking for my name, the front desk told us that they are fully booked and none of the rooms will be ready before 3 pm (the usual check in time). They did not offer any other alternatives. So we decided to see the city and come back.

When we got there at 3 pm, we were properly greeted and then I had asked them for rooms with 2 beds for all our rooms. They said they didn't have any available and they will not have any available till next day. Since there were total 7 of us: 3 couples and 1 single person, I requested for a roll over bed. The response to that was "we don't have any roll over beds in this facility, we have occasional fire checks and we get in trouble with fire Marshall for having roll over beds." Shortly after leaving the front desk I asked my brother who is a fire protection engineer if this true, and he told me its the biggest and most absurd lie he have ever heard. I asked them if there was couch or something that they will be able provide the room, his response was, I could give you some extra bedding and thats the best they can do about it. When I asked him if he was suggesting me to sleep on the floor, he just rolled his eyes.

As we walked towards our room, I saw that housekeeping was cleaning a room with 2 beds. I asked them if there were any guests in that room and she said there were none and that the room was vacant. I immediately went downstairs to the front desk and asked about the room. She told me that the room was reserved and that we will not be able to switch. When I said I had requested multiple times for rooms with 2 beds and why was my request not being honored, she said it will not be honored because I paid a lesser price through priceline. If I wanted that room, I should have paid directly through Marriot.

I was extremely upset with that arrogant and disrespectful response which ruined our mood for our vacation. With internet these days, only handful of people book rooms directly and majority uses 3rd party sites like priceline, hotwire, and hotel.com. That alone drives these hotel business. Regardless that was not how a customer should have been treated. I could have booked a lesser star hotel if I knew I was going to be treated this way. If your employees cant treat their customer with respect and without bias regardless of how we purchased the reservation, then don't advertise your business on priceline and other 3rd party sites.

I cannot remember the name of the lady who was working with Allen on (9/3/16) at the front desk, but she was rude, disrespectful, and very arrogant. Furthermore, to not even provide a roll over bed and to lie about is just horrific and distasteful. I had to ask the housekeeping lady on the floor for the roll over bed and she was cheerful, sympathetic of our situation and provided us with a roll over bed which the front desk lied that didn't exist.

During check in when we were visibly upset about our situation, they gave us free wifi in one room that we never used and then complimentary parking for our car for our stay. But guess what, at the end of the stay we received the bill for $34 for parking our car for 2 days. It was resolved by the lady at the front desk when we checked out, but even she tried to say that they don't provide complimentary parking and implied that we were lying to get a freebie.

I hate to complain, but customer service at Chicago Midway Marriot sucks. It does not live up to its 3.5 stars. If you are booking your reservation through 3rd party site or through priceline express deal, beware of the consequences. Customer clearly doesn't come first here.

Room tip: You should pray that front desk is honest
Date of stay: September 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank Nandu M
HotelStaff1, Manager at Chicago Marriott Midway, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2016

Please accept our most sincere apologies we were not able to honor your room request or roll away bed due to our sold out situation over Labor Day weekend. We will definitely utilize your feedback as a training opportunity for our associates to provide an exceptional guest experience moving forward. Thank you for staying with us at the Marriott Chicago Midway.

Reviewed September 7, 2016

The hotel check in staff was very friendly and helpful. Printing flight tickets was an easy process. The room was good sized for 3 of us staying in it.
The restaurant had terrific food.
There wasn't a bellhop to take luggage to the room for us, but we managed it with 2 carts.
Like the shuttle to the airport.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

We truly value your kind words and appreciate you recognizing our friendly and helpful team members here at the Marriott Chicago Midway! Thank you for your rave review of our recently opened Copper Fox Gastropub and thrilled you enjoyed the "terrific food". We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the future.

Reviewed September 5, 2016 via mobile

Chose this hotel for recent trip to Midway when doing business at the airport. An excellent location for watching the planes landing at MDW. Also as a part of the Midway Hotel Center there are approx 8 hotels with various restaurants and bars available. Walking distance to several good restaurants and also provided a free shuttle to/from the MDW airport.

Check in/out was very efficient and the personnel in the concierge lounge were very nice and helpful. The woman working the evening shift was especially great as she made you feel at home while on the road. She takes great pride in her work and the lounge.

Hotel restaurant was closed as it was bring renovated. A Starbucks and bar w/food menu do operate in the lobby.

Trip type: Travelled on business
HotelStaff1, Manager at Chicago Marriott Midway, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2016

Thank you for sharing all of the incredible attributes that make the Marriott Chicago Midway the hotel of choice when visiting the Windy City. We appreciate you recognizing our concierge lounge associate and will be sure to pass along your kind words. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit and be sure to check out our now open Copper Fox Gastropub serving draft beer at a chilly 29 degrees!

Reviewed August 30, 2016 via mobile

Checked in for a day room during a long day in Chicago with an evening return. Pretty neat concept of a massive hotel complex close to KMDW. Check in was smooth and efficient. Looking for a nap and lunch and the desk agent confirmed the restaurant was available. The facility was clean and current. The room was cool and comfortable. There is a good bit of airplane noise but it is MDW so expected. Nevertheless I got a good nap on the wonderful Marriott bed.
Only snag was when it was time for a quick lunch I was informed the restaurant and kitchen were closed for a grand reopening in a few days...
Luckily there was a Friday's in the parking lot.
All in all, good stay.

Trip type: Travelled on business
HotelStaff1, Manager at Chicago Marriott Midway, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2016

The Marriott Chicago Midway is definitely a hidden gem here and thrilled you were able to experience all the conveniences of our hotel. Our sincere apologies about the restaurant opening, but encourage you to check out our new Copper Fox Gastropub on your next visit to the Windy City!

Reviewed August 20, 2016 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for two weeks while conducting business meetings. Overall the room and restaurant I would rate five stars. The maids kept my room very clean and I tipped every day, they left me thank you notes and we're always pleasant during my encounters.

Jean and Manuel kept the catering for my meetings top notch. I will certainly return just for the tilapia!

Now for the bad. I am a Platinum Premier. Since I returned home over the two week stay there were two opportunities to welcome me as one - I wasn't even welcomed as a Platinum. I had to ask if I was on the Concierge floor. Both times I was checked in during the afternoon by a young fellow with a red, round face. He needs to be trained better. Also I am not sure I received extra points or not and definitely did not get a welcome gift. Even Fairfield Inns give me one!

Why so stingy with the newspapers? In nine days I received ONE Wall Street Journal under my door! Even in the lounge they only had perhaps five. Never have I encountered this at a full service Marriott.

Their restaurant is under renovation but will be open by 1 Sept I hear. Every meal I had was excellent! Great service too.

The shuttle is free, every 20 minutes or so and very convenient.

All around a great place with minor issues.

Trip type: Travelled on business
HotelStaff1, Manager at Chicago Marriott Midway, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2016

It was a pleasure having you as our extended stay guest and truly value your feedback! We appreciate you sharing both your positive experiences and our areas of opportunity. Our goal of continuous improvement can only be accomplished if we are aware of the situation. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the Windy City!