“What a nice place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown

Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown
Ranked #50 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Paris, IL
“What a nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone!! We had a marvelous time in Chicago. The price of your suite includes breakfast everyday and dinner during the week. Monday thru Thurs there is complimentary wine and beer too!!! What a huge convenience and savings!! It was really clean and the staff was exceptional! When they found out we were there on our anniversary....the really rolled out the red carpet!!! My husband and I will definitely stay at a homewood suites as often as we can when we travel. There is a full kitchenette in the suite which was handy also. He needs to store drinks and his insulin when we travel so that works out best for us.
The only thing we would like to see there that they don't have is jacuzzi. The pool was nice though

• 5 of 5 bubbles
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Barb,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. I was glad to see you had a pleasant time during your stay with us on your anniversary. I was pleased to see that you took advantage of the amenities our hotel has to offer: the breakfast, dinner, beer, wine, and full kitchenette. I look forward to seeing you again the next time you are staying in Chicago.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

For a downtown hotel, the price can't be beat for what you're getting. This may be the only hotel in the area that provides both a hot breakfast buffet and a hot dinner with beer/wine. This is rare even out of the city. You could literally get away with paying for only 1 meal a day if you wanted to. The rooms and views were great. The kitchen was well supplied, it was so nice to not waste leftovers, but reheat them for snacks. Yes, it's crowded during the meals, and yes, there may be a wait at the elevator... but nothing that cost you more than a minute waiting in line. The servers are to be commended for their kindness and helpfulness. I'd stay here again in a second, and have already recommended it to friends. Re: the parking, I was intent on not paying the hotel rate of $42/night. While the park and rides at the end of the CTA lines was the cheapest options, we wanted to have our car closer. There were parking lots only blocks away for $20/night. Not sure how far we would have had to go to find cheaper, but saving $22 a night with a 10 minute walk to the hotel was a no-brainer.

Tessatraveler,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. Our team takes great pride in being friendly and helpful; thank you for mentioning that. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the amenities the hotel has to offer. I look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Chicago.

lagrange
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Upon arrival (5:00 pm on a Thursday) at this downtown Chicago hotel I was greeted by a very welcoming Valet staff who helped us with our luggage and parking the car. We went up to the sixth floor where we were greeted by a friendly, courteous clerk who checked us into our room promptly. We were booked on the 11th floor and I noticed immediately when I stepped off the elevator that the hallways were clean. Fresh paint, newer carpet. After a long 5 hour drive from Kentucky I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped into our room on the 11th floor. Clean, Updated, and comfortable.

Since it was 5:00 pm my children and I headed back down to the sixth floor for the manager reception where I was expecting to be served chips and gum drops, but instead we helped ourselves to nice, crisp salad greens with all the trimmings, potato wedges, big hot dogs (I think it was opening day at the ballpark in Chicago), and for dessert , warm, chocolate chip cookies straight from the oven. All the soda, beer, or wine you wanted. I was delighted that I could sit down with the kids and get something to eat before heading out to Navy Pier. I have been at other Hilton chain hotels and never received anything as nice and I was impressed by the attention of the staff. They were very pleasant, and helpful removing unwanted plates immediately.

That evening my son enjoyed the indoor pool with all the other kids, and I couldn't have been more satisfied with my comfortable bed that night.

The next morning we went to the breakfast buffet which included delicious waffles with cherries and whipped cream, fresh pasteries, fruit, and bagels. Eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, juices...all terrific.

When we contacted valet for our car and luggage they were very prompt, courteous, and helpful.

Over all I can't say a bad thing about this hotel! I tavel often and believe this was an excellent value for the money. Staff was top shelf. When I return to Chicago I will gladly book this hotel again!!

4 Thank KYCass
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
KYCass,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. Our team takes pride in being friendly and helpful: thank you for mentioning that in your review. I was pleased to see that you and your children enjoyed our breakfast, evening manager’s reception, pool, and other amenities we offer at Homewood Suites. I hope to see you again the next time you are in Chicago.

Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

We have stayed numerous times at this Downtown Chicago hotel since it was opened in 1999 and there are many reasons we keep returning to this hotel. The rooms are spacious and actual 2-room suites with a full kitchen and living area. This is a particularly nice hotel for families since it is one of the few hotels in the downtown area with a pool located on the top floor with a very nice view. Some rooms also have 2 beds in the bedroom and, along with a pull-out couch, a whole family can stay in one room. There are also cots available if needed. My dad enjoyed the work-out room also found on the top floor. There is a full breakfast every morning along with an adequate evening meal during the week. This keeps a family's vacation costs down and we ate a nice meal at some of the finest restaurants in the immediate area at lunchtime. At $129/night/family during Spring Break, this hotel can be hard to beat particularly if you make good use of the kitchen along with the Jewel and Trader Joe grocery stores within 2 blocks of the hotel.

The staff are all very friendly from the knowledgable doormen/greeters/valets at the front door to the front desk staff that had our rooms ready when we arrived. Our rooms were placed together without us asking for this to be done which I have found is not necessarily the case in a lot of hotels. The breakfast area features Connie who has been there for many years and whom we have come to recognize from our previous visits. The management also made a point of visiting in the dining area to be sure everything is going well.

You can take Amtrak or the Megabus from the Detroit/Ann Arbor area into Union Station and hop onto the 157 bus at Canal and Adams to within 2 blocks of the hotel. The 151 bus returns you to the station at the end of your trip. At $42/night parking, leaving the car at home is a good plan. This hotel could not be in a better location. You can easily walk to Watertower place, Navy Pier and the Theater district. Hop on the red line which is 1 block away to get right to Wrigley Field and the red line runs south to State St for the theaters and shopping. The 151 bus also will take you directly to the (free) Lincoln Park Zoo. The 146 bus will take you right to the museum campus. All buses can be found on Michigan Ave. 2 blocks away from the hotel.

Our visit to Chicago was wonderful as usual and our stay at this hotel was pleasurable. It was particularly interesting to meet a friend from home staying here for their third time upon a previous recommendation made by me.

Room Tip: As for a high floor for a good view. I prefer a corner room away from the elevators.
1 Thank Kim I
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that all our amenities, the location of the hotel, the spacious suite, and our friendly staff contributed to you having a wonderful stay. Thank you again for taking the time to write such a detailed review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago.

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel the night of 4/5 and checked out the night of 4/6. The size of the room was great. The buffet breakfast and the evening meal with wine and beer also great. The front desk staff was great and were able to answer any questions we had and point us in the right direction for the whatever we were looking for. HOWEVER, I was bit by something in the room we stayed in. We got into our room around 9 pm and up at 7:00 a.m. and during that time I encountered 4 bug bites that looked like mosquito bites. Also, our tub would not drain, and the room was hot. We did mention this when we checked out to the front desk and he called for the GM and we advised him of this. I did show him the bites I had so he was aware. We discussed the draining of the tub and the warm room. He did advise because it was 34 degrees the nite before the room was set to heat which is understandable. As far as the bug bites, he advised he would have the room checked out for bugs. He asked when we were returning home and we advised on Sunday. He asked for a contact # and then said he would call us with a report of what was found as far the bug situation. Well this is almost one week later and we have not heard from him. I feel he just said whatever he needed to, so he wouldn't have to deal with us. Agree with others....the elevator is very slow. Poor lighting in the bathroom for women putting on makeup. Overall this was ok, but the fact that no one contacted us as promised regarding the bugs is very disappointing. Also, we paid $42 for parking.....outrageous. The $20 spring parking special was not mentioned to us.

1 Thank Stc7275
CHSRoger, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
My apologies for not get back to you sooner and the contact number was not correct my mistake. I believe you have my business card with my email and cell phone. The extermination company did come out to the property and found no insect activity in the room and proactively treated the room. They are also doing a follow-up inspection this week to ensure the room continues to have no activity. Please email me your contact information and I will send you a follow-up report.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

Great value! However, i'll still give u the pros & cons. CONs: loud refrigerator made noises throughout the night, sleeper sofa mattress was all springs :-/, the toilet water leaked on the bathroom floor, although food was free, there was often a long line & shortage of plates, lastly, the elevator was very slow. PROs: free food!, free wifi, great location & beautiful views of downtown. Great decor throughout, awesome business center, gym & pool. Overall, the pros outweighed the cons & I would totally stay there again.

Angelain,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was pleased to see that our location and other amenities were to your liking. The team has addressed the issues you had during your stay and reviewed the proper procedures and protocols to follow. We hope to see you again the next time you’re in Chicago.

Sarnia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

Great location to walk to all the sites. Unfortunately, the view is limited even on a higher floor due to being amongst all the other tall buildings. Suite was nice and roomy with comfie bed. Shower pressure could have been better. Major downside was there are only 2 elevators for 19 floors of suites so you did have to wait quite a long time.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor it will drown out some of the traffic noise.
2 Thank Sonny & Cher
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Sonny & Cher,

Thank you for your review. I was happy to see the location of our hotel was convenient for you. I was sorry to see that the elevators created an inconvenience for you. We are limited by the design of the building. However, after discussing the issue with the team, we will try to lessen the wait time during peak periods by offering access to the back elevators.

I hope to see you again the next time you choose to visit Chicago.