“Great Hotel & Staff”

Ranked #49 of 189 Hotels in Chicago
Lake Elmo
“Great Hotel & Staff”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I took my Mom and daughters to Chicago for the weekend and had a Wonderful experience! The hotel was a perfect location being close to the train, Michigan Ave, Navy Pier, etc. The rate was more reasonable than numerous other hotels in the area. However, it was the people at Homewood Suites that made the greatest impression on all of us. The kindness, service, and overall hospitality was amazing!

1 Thank ngoralsky
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Ngoralsky,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that you, your mother, and your daughter had a wonderful experience. I will share your positive comments about that staff with the entire team.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just got back from a one night stay at the Homewood Suites. A few helpful tips: Parking is EXPENSIVE, the lobby is on the 6th floor, the elevators are fast so there is not a long wait, PF Changs is next door and a great place for food and drinks!, the room was choppy, felt crowded and small for the price. Nothing extremely cool to mention, and I would probably not stay there again.

Room Tip: request a high room for a great view
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Budrow02,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to see that you enjoyed the view of the city from the hotel. We hope you consider staying at our hotel again the next time you stay in Chicago.

Michigan
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Just returned from a few days at the Homewood Suites in Chicago. My wife and and I were both in Chicago on business, but we brought the kids and extended it a day to make it a mini-vacation. Overall, I'd definitely recommend this hotel. Location and value are great, but the staff are what really impressed me. The physical plant itself had a few flaws, but nothing major. Some details:

Location: The hotel is north of "The Loop," in the North Bridge/North Michigan Avenue. It's hard to find a better location for tourism or for business (at least if business is in the downtown area). It's within easy walking distance -- i.e., less than a few blocks -- of some of the city's best shops and restaurants. The Navy Pier and lakefront is a slightly longer walk. A subway stop is down the street -- you can take it all over the City and (sometimes with bus) to the big museums (Field, Aquarium, Science/Industry).

Value: The North Bridge/North Michigan Avenue area has a ton of hotels. We found this one hit the sweet spot of offering a lot (free breakfast and manager reception in the evening, suite-style rooms, nice quality) and affordability.

Staff: I was really impressed with the quality of the staff. We had a problem with our room when we arrived: When we tried to open the sleeper couch, it couldn't unfold all the way because a piece of permanent furniture was in the way. (I guess nobody had tried to use it before.) We called the front desk and, within 2 minutes, a maintenance worker was at our door. He quickly rearranged the room so that it fit fine. The doormen/valet were beyond friendly -- they remembered my kids' names and were extremely helpful with directions, etc.

Downside? The room itself had what seemed like a less than optimal design: Lots of room around the kitchen, a small living area (and the aforementioned issues with the sleeper couch). The pool looked *really* old and dingy, although I understand they're about to renovate that.

Internet speed was adequate but not lightning fast -- so if you're going to be streaming, etc., you might have some issues.

Other information: The breakfast buffet was standard-issue for this kind of hotel: Eggs, waffle maker, fresh fruit, cereal, etc... Parking is expensive in Chicago, so you're advised to buy a room package with parking if you're bringing a car. (It'll be cheaper.)

3 Thank BSRS
HomewoodHiltonChiIL, Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago-Downtown, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
BSRS,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that you decided to extend your stay with us and enjoyed your time at our hotel. Thank you for making it a point to mention the staff at Homewood Suites; we take great pride in being helpful and friendly. I look forward to seeing you the next time you visit Chicago: for business or pleasure.

Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 19 April 2012

My daughter had a conference at the hotel and I tagged along. The hotel is at a fantastic location. It is close to the subway and buslines. It is only two blocks from Michigan Avenue. The breakfast was delicious. They have dinner M-Th. nights. We didn't eat the dinner. We had a room on the 15th floor and it was super quiet. We were able to bring home our leftovers and put them in our full-size refrigerator that had an icemaker in it. One night we just walked a couple of blocks over to Trader Joe's and bought a wonderful dinner. Like I said, the hotel was super convenient. The staff was helpful with ideas for things to do and see. We will definitely come back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Christyristy,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. I was pleased to see that the location of the hotel was convenient for you. Thank you for your kinds words about the staff; we take pride in being helpful and friendly. I look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Chicago.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed here over Easter weekend. We arrived on a Wednesday afternoon, GREAT location!!! Valet greets you immediately, takes your car, takes your luggage and meets you at your room with it after you get checked in. Got checked in right away and our room was wonderful for a family of four. Kitchen area is a great ammenity, pull out couch was fine for the kids and the views were great. I cannot stress the wonderful location enough, we were planning on trying to figure out what was the best transportation to get around and not have to get the car in and out and worry about parking elsewhere and really after buying tickets we realized most of the stuff we wanted to go to really was within walking distance. The breakfast and dinner receptions were all wonderful. Good food, excellent service by the staff even though at times it gets really busy. But because of those ammenities, the nice clean spacious rooms with kitchen area, friendly staff and awesome location I will for sure stay here again if I get the chance to come back to Chicago and I wont even worry about looking at other hotels. I just cant even explain how much I believe our vacation was such a success in part by the hotel. :)

Burtonjk,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. The team here at the hotel really makes an effort to be helpful and friendly, thank you for your positive remarks. I was also glad to see that you enjoyed the amenities our hotel has to offer. I look forward to seeing you again the next time you choose to visit Chicago.

Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights right after Easter for a vacation in Chicago with another couple. Excellent location, comfortable suite, great staff, and the free breakfast and wine in the evening made things even better. I would definitely recommend this hotel and I can see that families would find it especially good. I will say our room had a fabulous view out the windows.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Susie,

Thank you for your review of Homewood Suites Downtown Chicago. I am glad to hear you enjoyed your extended stay with us and took advantage of the amenities we have to offer. I look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit Chicago.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 April 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel on Priceline for 4/13, and a week later called the hotel directly to add 4/12 to our stay. The receptionist confirmed my reservation confirmation# and gave me a lower rate for both nights for the same king suite. When we arrived at check-in, there was no record of my 4/12 reservation whatsoever. The hotel was also fully booked, leaving my tired, hungry family and I high and dry with nowhere to go. The only decent thing that happened with this whole debacle was that Lisa at the check-in desk called around to several other hotels close-by to find us a room, and seemed to be the only employee working at a very busy time of evening. We ended up at Embassy Suites for both nights and had a very pleasant experience there.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Jenny T
Jenny,

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the issues you had on the 12th of April. If you choose to stay with us in the future, please contact me directly and I will do all that I can to enhance your experience at our hotel.