“One of the Best!”

Ranked #117 of 187 Hotels in Chicago
Saint Joseph, Michigan
“One of the Best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

I visit Chicago often, and rarely find a hotel I really like, but I recently stayed at the Hotel Indigo, and had one of the best hotel experiences. I had two single rooms reserved, and as we went to check in (early mind you) the gentleman, Mr. Hilton, at the front desk upgraded both my rooms and got us in early! As we got up to the room I was shocked at how clean and nicely put together the rooms were, not to mention the beautiful decor and view. The location was great, just a couple blocks north of Magnificent Mile, and tons of bars and restaurants within a block, including the restaurant/bar in the hotel. The outgoing and friendly staff plus a wonderful location makes this hotel a definite do-over.

I stay at many hotels, especially IHG hotels, and I can definitely say this was one of the best! I am hoping to stay when I visit again in May and June.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
HotelIndigoChicago, Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Greetings,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us! We definitely have a great location, we are always glad when our guests take advantage of this to enjoy the city as much as possible. Our staff takes pride in exceeding guest expectations, and we are very fortunate to have individuals such as Tom that take excellent care of them.

Thanks for staying with us, as well as other IHG properties, we would love to see you again soon and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Thai first
Highland, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

The decor is charming - downstairs restaurant in particular quaint and lovely. However, their "studio" rooms are not very comfortable. So small there is no place literally to put the suitcase other than the one small desk. I came in to find a large tray on my bed with the ice bucket, remote, etc on it. While taking it off the bed I noticed there just isn't any place to put it-so against the wall it went. Cold hardwood floors with no curtains-just horizontal wood blinds that when closed do not keep out the light. No tub-shower only. Very little if any counter space in the bathroom. Good location and I must give extremely high marks to the staff - in particular Tom at the front desk who went out of his way to make up for things that really weren't his fault at all. The day I was there it was unusually cold and he took a special interest in helping me find a meal (their restaurant has what I would call more "fancy" fare - I was looking for something simpler) close by. He also offered to change my room to a larger one (which by that time I passed on). Also had to call for coffee in the morning - only decaf an tea packets in the room. The staff came up immediately with it. I'd give this one another try mainly because of the great staff,-but would try and avoid the studio room if possible.

Room Tip: Avoid studio rooms if you need space.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
HotelIndigoChicago, Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Greetings,

Thank you for leaving feedback for us, we appreciate your comments. We are happy to hear that our staff took great care of you while you were here, we are very fortunate to have a wonderful staff that takes great pride in exceeding our guests expectations. We'd love to have you back with us and will gladly make every attempt to provide one of our larger rooms for you as those typically go first due to higher demand. Although we do have some smaller rooms that are more typical of boutique hotel rooms in the city, we find that most guests still enjoy the comforting decor as well!

Thanks for staying with us, we hope to see you soon.

-Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Dont stay here for the $300 a night, plus $75 for small pet fee, and the of course, Valet parking which is automaticly charged to your credit card. You cant check in until 4pm. No pool, no nothing. Also a coke in the vending machine is 5.50- and if you drink the bottle of water in the room its 4.00. I had a view of the alley. I went for my birthday and was TOTALLY disappointed. The only thing thats good- is the location, which is downtown by state st.

Room Tip: ask for a higher floor, and no a view of the alley
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Geneseo, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

We have stayed at the Hotel Indigo twice and enjoyed it a great deal. And...speaking of deals, at times, you can find a King room for $99! This is when I absolutely love this Hotel. There is a restaurant on premises, but we have only had breakfast there. A small quaint bar in the lobby and roomy, bright rooms! Parking is available next door for a usual Chicago fee. I think it is around $40 for a day. Cabs are easy to find to get to any downtown location. The only thing this hotel needs is a pool. Then I could take the grandchildren! I always book through the Holiday Inn webpage and have never had a problem!

Room Tip: It helps to be a member of Holiday Inn's reward program. And it's free to join!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Bloomington, Illlinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Beautiful rooms... not overly large but very adequate. Location is just what we wanted. Walking distance to many bars, restaurants and a cab ride to others. I've stayed here off and on over the years... when it was even a different hotel. LOVE the location, in the middle of a nice residential neighborhood, just around the corner from division/rush. Love it, staff always nice.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Bloomington
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

This is the worst experience in Chicago I have had. We were told the only room was smoking because we booked through Priceline. I had to ask 5 times what else they could do for us. NOTHING was offered UNTIL I asked for food vouchers. This hotel doesn't even have complimentary breakfast. The 4th Floor smoking floor smells like an ashtray. Room is small and uncomfortable, TV small out dated! This is suppose to be a 3 Star hotel and it doesn't rate 2 stars. Given one queen bed for family of three. Hotel staff unfriendly and lacked customer service skills.

Room Tip: Call and confirm non smoking and two beds!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank traveldad2008
So Cal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed 4 nights visiting my son at Depaul. Room was reasonably sized and clean. The beds were comfortable. The Red line is a few minute walk around the corner. Water Tower area is is a short walk. North Beach and Lincoln park were a little longer. but easy walk away. There are several fantastic restaurants less than a 5 minute walk away: Table Fifty Two, Chicago Q and Mario's. Yes, the TV was old, there was no refrigerator and a wider selection at the bar would have been nice, but cleanliness, convenience and a friendly staff won me over. There is no shortage of bars within close walking distance.

Room Tip: 3rd Coast Cafe--a couple of doors south on Dearborn is the hot tip for breakfast.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo