“Lovely hotel good location - but....”

Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast
Ranked #127 of 191 Hotels in Chicago
Reviewed 18 September 2017

I've travelled the world and stayed a wide variety of hotels. This one is comfortable querky with lovely staff- good breakfast - location is perfect to the city

The only thing that lets it down are the pillows!!! such a shame as the beds are super comfy very high to jump up on but the white pillows are hard and lumpy

I choose to sleep on the navy striped cushions which are perfect! Oh yes I always judge a hotel by its pillows so this time it's low rating- sorry

Room Tip: Rooms are querky - check your pillows! You may be lucky and get soft ones - mine were lumpy😨
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Eric P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2017

Thank you for sharing feedback from your recent stay with us. We are so sorry to hear that you did not like our pillows and will certainly take inventory of their quality in response to your comments. We hope that you will choose to visit us again in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,306)

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for just one night as a unexpected "staycation".

It Beach theme, or tropical theme? Whichever I'm not 100% sure. The design is very peculiar especially being in Chicago. Not sure how this vibe feels in the dead of winter but would imagine it might be a bit of an overkill.

Pro's, the bed was super comfortable, I slept like a baby. Black out curtains also helped. We had the suite, so the room was large. AC was so powerful that even I was cold and I am the worlds hottest sleeper.

Con's, room service stops at 10pm. No complementary breakfast. No mini fridge. No bathroom amenities besides hand soap and a lotion. No guest robes. Thin walls as we heard the neighbors. Old TV too far from the bed. very simple room.

I wasn't really feeling the service level. It felt very 3 star to me.

I think this is for someone who won't spend a lot of time in the room, isn't looking for a view, and perhaps knows there way around the city. Gold Coast is nice but it's a hike to/from the loop.

Overall, average score.

Enjoy!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your recent stay. We value your feedback greatly and will take your suggestions under consideration in our continued efforts to improve. We hope that you will consider a return visit in the future!

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Option C

That’s how I am thinking about my stay at Hotel Indigo Chicago Gold Coast. I booked this trip a few days before traveling to Chicago for an epic sports weekend. I often travel to Atlanta and for the last year or so, I’ve stayed at a Hotel Indigo near our office and have almost always had a great stay so opting for this hotel seemed like a good option. I checked in late afternoon and it was a straightforward process. Online, I booked a larger room (for an additional cost), but when I got to my room, I was surprised at how small the hotel room was, but I can live that. Having stayed in a lot of hotels in San Francisco and NY, I’m used to small rooms. After getting whiff of my displeasure, they offered to upgrade the next day but we were heading out super early and returning after midnight, didn’t seem worth it.

First the cons. The hotel is old and is showing it’s age. It’s been “refreshed” maybe in the last few years, but still showing some wear. For example, my room had exactly two outlets. One was in the bathroom, the other was on the opposite end of the room from the bed so I had to charge my phone either on the floor or extend the cord over to the desk which meant it blocked the bathroom. I would have thought that given this shortcoming, they’d have outlets integrated into the lamps on either side of the bed like I’ve seen at numerous other hotels. The bathroom — the tiny sink drained painfully slow and the water pressure in the shower was laughable. There was more water coming out of the sink than the shower. Restaurant — I ate a late afternoon meal and I was the only one there. I had to ring a bell to get the attention of someone and ended having a mediocre meal. Not the worst, but certainly not memorable. I can’t speak to what breakfast is like as we were never around for it, but in chatting up some other folks, they seemed to enjoy it. They had a thermostat on the wall…but it did nothing, you had to use the buttons on the unit under the window, that didn’t make a ton of sense.

The pros: Great location. My hotel was right in the Gold Coast so it was easy to get to anywhere we needed to be. Lots of great places to eat and hangout within a short walk, even a large grocery store. Major shopping areas were a quick train or Uber ride away. There was also a public parking deck right next door. The staff was super friendly and helpful, we really appreciated it. They had an influx of visitors similar to us who had traveled to see the Notre Dame game on Saturday and the Bears game on Sunday so they had their hands full, no doubt. The bed — I loved the bed, each night I was out like a light, it was really comfortable. That’s about it.

Overall, if I absolutely had to stay here, I’d at least have a good night’s sleep and be a quick walk away to lots of places to eat and hang out, but I doubt I’d stay here again. Maybe the larger rooms are better and have like more than one outlet, not sure I’ll be finding out. Other Hotel Indigo’s are just flat out better, this one was a bit disappointing in that it was just barely average.

Stayed: September 2017
Eric P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback from your recent stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for failing to meet your expectations. We will be sure to put your comments to good use in our continued efforts to improve the guest experience. We hope that you will reconsider staying with us in the future.

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Staff was friendly but didn't realize the hotel was in an old buildings. Ist room had a window that looked out at an interior stairwell. The air conditioner pulled in air from the stairwell and it smelled like urine.
They gave us another room which was small but much better. Tiny tiny bathroom.
I don't know how old this property is but felt kind of worn.
Location was good. Thought the price did not reflect the actual place. I'm usually not really picky.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Eric P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. Your feedback is incredibly valuable to us in our continued efforts to maximize our guest experience. We are sorry to hear that your recent stay did not meet your expectations. Our staff works very hard on a daily basis to ensure that all of guests receive the value they deserve and we apologize for failing to deliver that experience to you. Please know that we will address the issues you have brought light. We thank you again for your feedback and hope that you will consider returning to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

I stayed at the Hotel Indigo for 3 nights. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room was average. The building seemed older and the bathroom was tiny and only had a shower. It took room service over 30 minutes one morning to bring me a coffee packet. Location was great for walking around. I did feel safe.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ktheo25

Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience at our hotel. We are sorry to hear that your stay did not exceed your expectations. Our team works very hard to ensure the highest levels of service and they will be made aware of your concerns so that the necessary corrections can be made. We thank you again for sharing your feedback and hope you will consider returning to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at Indigo in order to celebrate our 1st anniversary. It has an amazing location with great restaurants and bars within walking distance. We also experienced excellent customer service from every employee we came into contact with during our 3 night stay. We hope to find time to visit again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Eric P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2017

Thank you for choosing to spend your first anniversary with us and for sharing your experience. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 September 2017 via mobile

Easy to find, good parking, close to many good shops as well. A very efficient reception team. The room was very spacious with a good working area. Bathroom was huge!

Breakfast was excellent, the made to order breakfast burrito could have fed a football team and the coffee was excellent.

No food available at lunchtime (not a problem as many places to eat nearby).

All the staff were helpful and efficient. Well recommended.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave L
Eric P, Front Office Manager at Hotel Indigo Chicago Downtown Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2017

Thank you for taking a moment to share feedback from your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and greatly appreciate your kind words. We look forward to your next visit!