“Chicago ... Cubs, Pubs, Boats & Blues”
Review of Chicago

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighbourhoods
Neighbourhoods
Midwest City, OK
1 helpful vote
“Chicago ... Cubs, Pubs, Boats & Blues”
Reviewed 30 June 2009

It's been about 18 years since my last visit to Chicago. It was my g/f's 1st visit. Of the really big cities, this is by far my favorite. There are so many things to see and do, you can't fit it all into a long weekend.

Visit was June 11-15 and the Cubs were in town. 4 of us total. I thought the hotel prices downtown were a little steep so we stayed in the burbs and had a rental car. Saturday night we had to split up so g/f and I took the metro train into downtown. Great ride. $5 for the whole weekend. Can bring bicycles during weekend & non-peak hours on the train which is good if you want to bike up/down Lakeshore Park along Lake Michigan. Chicago BluesFest was being held in Grant Park and was free. 3 days, 3 stages, 600K blues fans. Magnificent Mile was fun to walk. I don't shop at Gucci, etc. but I absolutely LOVED looking at the architecture of the buildings. Also did a boat ride up the Chicago River. Fun to look at downtown from there.

Go Cubs!

If they are in town, go see the Cubs. Wrigley Field had a ton of history underneath the seats. Lots of fun pubs around the ballpark in the Wrigleyville area. Also, if you're in that area on a Sunday, have brunch at Duffy's Tavern & Grille. $15.95 for the AYCE buffet and AYCD Mimosas [reg., mango, cranberry]. Music was jumpin' and was just a really fun place to hang. Owned by a Michigan alum so the employees wear the Big Blue gear. Its all good.

Other pubs/eateries visited that I'd recommend: Rock Bottom Pub, Dues Pizza, Miller's Pub [on Wabash downtown right by the L].

Rochester, NY
64 helpful votes
“Great way to spend one day”
Reviewed 23 June 2009

We went to a wedding weekend in Chicago and had only about 6 hours on our own on Saturday. We decided on the hop on hop off bus tour by Chcago Trolley & Double Decker Co. We found it very flexible and a great way to see the major attractions of the city. We got off at Navy Pier and then again on Michigan Ave. so we were on three different buses with 3 different equally pleasant and knowledgeable guides. If you don't really know the city and have either a short timeframe or want to get bearings for where to return to,we think this was excellent.

2 Thank rjmRochester
ff
4 helpful votes
“La Quinta Chicago Downtown money suckers”
Reviewed 11 June 2009

I checked in this hotel late on 11:00 PM the usual check-in time is 3:00PM.When I checked in I have told the front desk that I will be checking out late which they made a note.I was told specifically that they charge for a night.Now when I see my credit card bills it seems they have charged for 2 nights.Now they are giving excuses that the late check-out cannot be so late (10:00 PM) at night.My question is they could have informed me earlier that I need to pay for an additional night.Infact I could have stayed an additional night.This is a trick to eat money as they have the credit card number to do anything.Never ever stay here.Be very cautious to stay in these type of hotels.Its better to give a penny to a beggar rather that to the money making attitude these hotels have.

3 Thank JKS2009
wisconsin
3 helpful votes
“downtown chicago”
Reviewed 3 June 2009

First of all going on the blue train was since we got there was so nice, the people in the train were so quite and looked upset everyday but never bothered us and we seem to fit in and got to downtown and we just seem to find our ways there, thru guide lines,maps,train routes,bus routes.....and still the people were helpfull on how to move around it is so big compare to our little town NavyPier,field museum JohnHancock,SearsTower,and many more places surrounding the downtown area were such of great experience most of the restaurants were pleaseant and alittle expensive but we knew that from the start and we excepted it ,I love the fact i found, Borders book store,paneras,barns n noble,and dudets, and the blue line train was perfect to move around and red train,Macys,and the rest i could go and on and still no smiles from it's inhabitants but like i said very helpfull when needed a vacation of a life time I only hope chicago knows that they are beautiful the people the city, I love it and will dream of it for weeks and weeks and return someday soon .............jo

1 Thank stunwoman-09
El Paso TX
17 helpful votes
“Great Town-tons to see and do!”
Reviewed 12 May 2009

Went to Chicago for a long Mother's day weekend. My wife, 9 mo. old and my Mom loved it. There was so much to see and do. Definitely do the double decker trolley. They take you all over downtown and the guide is entertaining and informative. You can hop off at whatever site you like and hop back on another trolley. They arrive about every half hour I think. The Navy Pier was great. We had a great lunch and drinks at this restaurant with a cool patio over looking the bay. The Sears tower sky deck was nice, the Shedd Aquarium was great, Millenium Park was awesome. We went in May when everything was blooming and beautiful. The food was also fantastic. Fogo De Chao was excellent, Buca De Beppo was great too. Gino's Pizza East on Superior was a cool place with great deep dish. If you have a daughter, go to the American Girl Doll store. I wasn't too excited about that store myself but once you see the look on your kids face when she picks out one of those dolls it'll be worth it. Take a break at the the Hershey store with some hot chocolate and then take a horse and carriage ride on the other side of the street. Chicago is a great place. Can't wait to go back. If you are planning to see a lot of the sites, the Chicago go card works great and is a good value. No hassles.

1 Thank joexmas

Been to Chicago? Share your experiences!