“Always Good”

Country House
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Casual dining in a rustic atmosphere has made The Country House Restaurants a west suburban favorite for more than 35 years. The Clarendon Hills Country House is a great spot for a quick business lunch, a relaxed dinner, or just to have a cocktail with your neighbor. We are best known for our highly touted "Country Burger" a hearty half pound served on dark rye. It was recently voted "Chicago's Favorite Burger" by the readers of The Chicago Tribune. In addition our menu also features hickory smoked ribs, char-broiledsteaks, fresh salads, pastas, and daily specials - all in a friendly neighborhood setting. There is also a full service bar where you can enjoy your favorite beer, a martini, or a glass of wine by the fireplace. We are open 7 days a week for lunch, dinner, or a late night meal. Please stop in and enjoy Clarendon Hills "pleasant surprise in casual dining".
Reviewed August 14, 2018 via mobile

It never fails that you get a good meal.... the best burger for miles around. Mixed French Fries with Onion Rings...yum! Always a crowd, but a pleasant atmosphere for waiting!

Date of visit: August 2018

Reviewed July 19, 2018

we enjoyed the German Wurst platter. Hot German potato salad, sauerkraut, and the different sausages, thuringer, veal bratwurst and I can't remember the third. I very tasty meal and the portions leave you stuffed and satisfied. Reminded me of my heritage, but of course no one makes the German potato salad like grandma did.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed June 24, 2018

Big on locally sourced food, and keeping it fresh. I remember going there 40 years ago, and it hasn't changed a bit. The burgers still rule, and the steak fries will make you clean your plate. Don't let an eager busboy try to swoop in and take your plate before you are done enjoying all your hot crispy steak fries. I've been there twice in the past month, and will make it a habit. The crock of French Onion was different, in that it was sour, instead of sweet. But some may love it that way. Plenty of gooey cheese melted on top pleased me, but my burger came long before I was finished. They offer a pricier hamburger with different cuts of meat, and say that you can tell the difference. You will have to wait until my next trip, or go there yourself to find the real answer to that one. I was very satisfied with the thick and juicy medium grilled cheeseburger that I enjoyed my past visit. Previously, I tried the filet medallion sandwich, and opted for the double. It was flavorful, but not my favorite way to eat a filet. No room for dessert. Again the fries were just too great. No sign of the ghost the haunts upstairs.

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed April 15, 2018 via mobile

First time here. Very dark with an old supper club feel. Not bad ambiance. I had the fried chicken which the server said they were known for. Was overdone with no taste at all. Baked potato was just that. Coleslaw was actually very tasty. Was the best part of the meal. The service was pretty good. Hopefully the rest of the menu is better. Not sure if I will come back.

Date of visit: April 2018
Dean T, Owner at Country House, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2018

Hi Bob, Thanks for taking the time to post your review. Sorry you were disappointed with your chicken. I hope you will give us another chance to impress you soon.

Reviewed March 7, 2018 via mobile

We go every time we want the basic burger with half fries/half onion rings .... ask the coleslaw ..... with cheddar cheese in their bun ...... add a red ale and you are good to go.

Date of visit: January 2018
Dean T, Owner at Country House, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2018

Hi Steven, Thanks for the great review! Glad you enjoyed your visit. Hope to see you again soon.