New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Crystal Lake

Holiday Inn Crystal Lake
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Crystal Lake
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Overrated No Customer Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

We were in Illinois for a baseball tournament the week of August 3rd thru 7th and this hotel came highly recommended from Crystal Lake Travel. Upon arrival, I had to wait several minutes to even get the attention of a desk attendant to check in and then had to listen while they discussed the previous guest. I also overheard a guest report to the staff that the sofa in her room had a “big hole” and she wanted to be sure she was not charged for the damage.

We were given a room on the third floor (313) that smelled of smoke, had broken tiles in the bathroom, mold on the shower walls, light bulbs that did not work, and damaged furniture. I make these items known to the front desk immediately. The hotel was FULL, so there were no other rooms available. No offer was made to discount the room or make any other concessions, other than an apology.

Once home, I passed along my concerns to the travel company I booked with who in turn forwarded those to the Hotel. I received a reply from the hotel that they did an investigation of my issues and didn’t notice the smell but would repair the tiles and broken furniture. They thanked me for bringing my concerns to their attention and they would make some repairs. Considering these issues have been reported before, I would caution future guests that this hotel is all talk and no action.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
As you stated in your comment, we do thank you for bringing forward your comments. It is generally not the policy of the hotel to trade compensation for complaints, rather it is our goal to always try to make it right by correcting the problem. I does sound like management did attempt to address your concerns and it is regrettable that you still were not satisfied.
Crystal Lake Travel has had a long standing relationship with the hotel which has been built on many years of creating very satisfied customers and we do pride ourselves on achieving some of the highest guest satisfaction score in the company. Again, regrettably you did not find that to be the case. We are truly sorry if we failed you by not compensating you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

We have stayed in this Holiday Inn on three occasions. We like the pool and the lake. This hotel is pet friendly and we brought our small dog. There is a nice breakfast buffet in the restaurant. Each time we stayed there was a wedding. This last time the wedding party was still going on at 1am which was keeping us awake. My husband went down to the front desk and asked if they could tone down the fun. The noise issue was resolved shortly thereafter.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Thank you so much for your nice comments about our hotel. We work very hard to ensure every guests satisfaction and we are thrilled to hear that we have succeeded with your stay. Thanks for staying with us again and we look forward to being of service in the future.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two days for a friends wedding and received horrible bed bug bites all over my stomach and arms. I contacted the hotel to let them know of their bed bug problem. The hotel manager was not sympathetic, never apologized and took over 2 weeks to give a response. Also, since I did not know I had beg bug bites I did not immediately wash the clothes in my suitcases causing my house to now be infested with bed bugs. I have sprayed my bedroom twice now and I am still not rid of these bugs. In the end the hotel told me they did not find bed bugs and refunded me a mere $50 of the $250 I spent on the hotel room. I am still 100% sure I got bed bugs at this hotel since I did not stay anywhere else before or after the trip to their hotel. Additionally I have never had a problem with these bugs in the past so my house did not have them prior to my visit. Please do not stay at this hotel!

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
We are truly sorry you feel you contracted this problem at our hotel. While this issue is no stranger to our industry it can also occur many other places.
Our hotel uses one of the most respected and credible pest elimination companies in the industry who certified this room to not only be free of bed bugs but also states that there is no evidence whatsover to support this claim and if there was a presence detected there would be evidence of this. Likewise, there has never been a case of bedbugs at this hotel.
I understand that you did not want to bear the expense of seeking medical attention but I can assure you that would have been your best course of action.
We do take these matters seriously and investigate ALL claim. The determination is that this case is unfounded. The refund you received was merely a good will gesture but clearly generated no good will. For that we are sorry.

Travellers are raving about these Crystal Lake hotels

FULSHEAR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

The room was clean, beds were comfortable. They did give a "suite" which ended up being a big room with a bed and a fold out couch.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank familyfun712
albuquerque
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We recently stayed here for a family wedding.
This place is nothing special but is a great price, conveniently located, clean, and has a pool and workout room. Staff was friendly and helpful.
Our first room smelled like smoke so we asked for a second which also smelled - it was either smoke or mildew. A maid came and sprayed deodorizer and we opened the windows.
My kids enjoyed swilling in the pool.

All in all, not a bad place. I'd recommend it for the price.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank albuquerqueemily
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Thank you for your nice comments about our hotel. i would like to apolize that your room had an unpleasant odor. Unfortunately, with summer upon us, many people run the cooling almost continually as opposed to bring in outside air.
I was glad to hear that housekeeping was able to resolve the issue for you and look forward to seeing you again!
Thanks again
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2011

I've stayed at this hotel several times in the past year and have found the staff to be very customer service oriented and personable (except for the bartender, she had no personality and seemed annoyed to have customers to wait on).
However the rooms are in need of a major updating and remodeling. Dark, worn and dingy comes to mind when describing the rooms; and I usually get updated to a suite so I cant imagine what the regular rooms are like.
The fitness center is also in need of some attention.
The location is great, the staff is good but unless they renovate I cant give it more than a poor overall rating.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
We are truly sorry to hear that our facility was not what you had hoped for. Thank you for the nice comments about the satff and we will cretainly work toward correcting the issues you mentioned in your review.
Thanks for staying with use and we really appreciate your feedback
Peoria, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

Our stay at the Crystal Lake Holiday Inn (Room 416) on Saturday June 18, 2011, ranks as the worst hotel experience ever. At 1:45 a.m. a group of twenty-thirty somethings congregated noisily in the hall outside our room and we called "Guest (NO) Services". No response from management. The revelers moved into the room across the hall, leaving the door open, and the noise flowing. We made three more calls to "Guest (NO) Services" through 3:30 a.m. again without results. Presumably the person answering the phone decided we would eventually fall asleep (good luck with that!) and stop bothering her. The next morning at checkout we received 50% off our room which not only should have been free but with at a minimum breakfast thrown in.
We are posting this letter on Trip Advisor for others to enjoy with a caveat about the importance of the club, bar and wedding business over the comfort of other guests.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 27 June 2011
We are sorry to hear that your stay was less than satisfactory. Unfortunately, some unruly guests do impact other peoples stay although we try very hard to not let that happen,occassionally it does.
Sometimes people do not respect others and we are truly sorry that this was the case during your stay.
We pride ourselves in having some of the highest service scores in the system and regret that this was not the case and that we let you down
We always have a manager on duty around the clock. It is unfortunate that she was not made aware of this as I am confident that appropriate action would have been taken.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crystal Lake
16.4 km away
Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites Chicago Northwest
14.5 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Zurich-Barrington

Been to Holiday Inn Crystal Lake? Share your experiences!