“Good Hotel Ready For Refurbishment” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Crystal Lake

Holiday Inn Crystal Lake
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Crystal Lake
jacksonville, fl
“Good Hotel Ready For Refurbishment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights while visiting the Chicago area. Check in and check out was hassle free and the staff were friendly, including the restaurant personnel where we had breakfast one morning. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The only negative comment, but it wouldn't keep me from staying there again, was that the room furnishings were dated. We don't watch television, but this was the first hotel/motel we've stayed in for quite a while that didn't have a flat screen TV and the furniture appeared old. Despite that, it was a very pleasant stay and would stay there again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you so much for the very nice comments about our hotel. We pride ourselves on having some of the best staff in the industry.
You will be happy to know that very shortly, we will be upgrading to the new high definition flat panel TV's as part of our ongoing upgrades.
I hope you will come back soon and more importantly see the continuous improvements that we are making.
Thanks for staying with us and especially for your comments

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
West Chciago , Il
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

The Greeter/host- Sabha was an outstanding help- What a Winderful Employee- He could not have been nicer- or more helpful. He was the only one who knew his directions. We Arrived for a Golf Outing, and he drove us-helped us with our bags too. Customer service Top Notch-some of the other employees there...not so much. Hope this company knows they have a GEM.

Room Tip: Hotel was quite loud.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 3 October 2011
Thank you so much for the fantastic comments about our Bellman Sabah. We most certainly do realize what an asset he is to our organization. I will be certain to recognize and thank him for being recognized in your comments. Thanks for staying with us.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Excellent fitness room but the hours are constraining......should be open 24 hours. The front desk often has no one there, but they are always close by and I haven't had to wait too long. The suites on the 5th floor are roomy, clean, and comfortable, but a microwave would be helpful. The giant suite, room 505, is a little bit stinky. One can tell there have been lots of parties in there. The food and the service in the restaurant have always been great for me. I will keep going back on business as long as the rates don't climb too high. Walking through the smoking area by the front doors is annoying. I stay there about once a month and still rate it highly because the showers work great, the beds are very comfortable, and the food is good. I left behind my camera battery and charger which were recovered quickly by the staff and held for me. Very much appreciated.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Jerry2466
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our staff. We work very hard to continually get better and deliver the service that you are entitled to and expect.
We have asked our housekeeping department to increase the frequency in which we deep clean our suites to try to address your concerns.
Again, thanks for your comments and for continuing loyalty to the Holiday Inn Crystal Lake. I will share your food comments with the Executive Chef. I am certain he will be pleased to hear that.
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

A few notes:
- This hotel has a night-club on site that seemed to attract a lot of rowdy people pretty late into the night. Familes might want to be conscious of this. My car was vandalized during the busiest night at the club, and there were broken beer bottles in the lot that same morning.
- I booked to stay here using Hotwire, and for the first time was treated differently because of it. The clerk checked in the people ahead of us (Priority Club members) in a far more friendly and helpful way than us. We were told "Oh... I see you booked this through Hotwire, I hope you know you can't make any changes to your reservation"
- We had double beds in our room, not queens, and they were in poor condition
- On the day of checkout we needed a trolly to take our luggage to the car. There were none in the lobby and were told we could check each floor of the hotel until we found one.
- I looked on thier website for an email address to report my concerns to the hotel, and none is listed. I hope this message makes it to the hotel management.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jeff S
Please accept our apologies that you felt you were treated differnetly because you booked through Hotwire. Unfortunately, when you purchase a room through a third party, we are somewhat limited and must abide by the conditions of the reservation that you purchased. With that said, it is truly unfortunate that sometimes some unruly people can spoil it for others. We do experience a number of people that stay for various reasons ranging from a simple travel stop to attending a wedding party.
We always try to anticipate that and keep some kind of seperation but unfortunately, it doesnt always work out.
We are truly sorry you were disturbed and continue to work hard to manage this effectively.

Travellers are raving about these Crystal Lake hotels

Farmington Hills, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

We were in Illinois for a baseball tournament the week of August 3rd thru 7th and this hotel came highly recommended from Crystal Lake Travel. Upon arrival, I had to wait several minutes to even get the attention of a desk attendant to check in and then had to listen while they discussed the previous guest. I also overheard a guest report to the staff that the sofa in her room had a “big hole” and she wanted to be sure she was not charged for the damage.

We were given a room on the third floor (313) that smelled of smoke, had broken tiles in the bathroom, mold on the shower walls, light bulbs that did not work, and damaged furniture. I make these items known to the front desk immediately. The hotel was FULL, so there were no other rooms available. No offer was made to discount the room or make any other concessions, other than an apology.

Once home, I passed along my concerns to the travel company I booked with who in turn forwarded those to the Hotel. I received a reply from the hotel that they did an investigation of my issues and didn’t notice the smell but would repair the tiles and broken furniture. They thanked me for bringing my concerns to their attention and they would make some repairs. Considering these issues have been reported before, I would caution future guests that this hotel is all talk and no action.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
As you stated in your comment, we do thank you for bringing forward your comments. It is generally not the policy of the hotel to trade compensation for complaints, rather it is our goal to always try to make it right by correcting the problem. I does sound like management did attempt to address your concerns and it is regrettable that you still were not satisfied.
Crystal Lake Travel has had a long standing relationship with the hotel which has been built on many years of creating very satisfied customers and we do pride ourselves on achieving some of the highest guest satisfaction score in the company. Again, regrettably you did not find that to be the case. We are truly sorry if we failed you by not compensating you.
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

We have stayed in this Holiday Inn on three occasions. We like the pool and the lake. This hotel is pet friendly and we brought our small dog. There is a nice breakfast buffet in the restaurant. Each time we stayed there was a wedding. This last time the wedding party was still going on at 1am which was keeping us awake. My husband went down to the front desk and asked if they could tone down the fun. The noise issue was resolved shortly thereafter.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 24 August 2011
Thank you so much for your nice comments about our hotel. We work very hard to ensure every guests satisfaction and we are thrilled to hear that we have succeeded with your stay. Thanks for staying with us again and we look forward to being of service in the future.
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two days for a friends wedding and received horrible bed bug bites all over my stomach and arms. I contacted the hotel to let them know of their bed bug problem. The hotel manager was not sympathetic, never apologized and took over 2 weeks to give a response. Also, since I did not know I had beg bug bites I did not immediately wash the clothes in my suitcases causing my house to now be infested with bed bugs. I have sprayed my bedroom twice now and I am still not rid of these bugs. In the end the hotel told me they did not find bed bugs and refunded me a mere $50 of the $250 I spent on the hotel room. I am still 100% sure I got bed bugs at this hotel since I did not stay anywhere else before or after the trip to their hotel. Additionally I have never had a problem with these bugs in the past so my house did not have them prior to my visit. Please do not stay at this hotel!

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
HICHICL_manager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Crystal Lake, responded to this review, 19 July 2011
We are truly sorry you feel you contracted this problem at our hotel. While this issue is no stranger to our industry it can also occur many other places.
Our hotel uses one of the most respected and credible pest elimination companies in the industry who certified this room to not only be free of bed bugs but also states that there is no evidence whatsover to support this claim and if there was a presence detected there would be evidence of this. Likewise, there has never been a case of bedbugs at this hotel.
I understand that you did not want to bear the expense of seeking medical attention but I can assure you that would have been your best course of action.
We do take these matters seriously and investigate ALL claim. The determination is that this case is unfounded. The refund you received was merely a good will gesture but clearly generated no good will. For that we are sorry.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crystal Lake
20.6 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Hoffman Estates
14.5 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Lake Zurich-Barrington

Been to Holiday Inn Crystal Lake? Share your experiences!