All reviews devonshire arms chatsworth estate farm shop the pub four poster bed hill top biscuits visiting chatsworth salmon specials board evening meal large bathroom lovely room both nights one night stay pie bottled water
Reviewed April 3, 2018

Booked here for a night over Easter, booked it due to a review in the Telegraph. It looked expensive for a pub/b&b at £164 a night including breakfast, but, figured would be worth it if it lived up to its hype - I'm afraid it very much did not.

To be fair the staff were charming and friendly but (in the main) too young, inexperienced and ill equipped to deliver the service levels you'd expect from somewhere setting itself up as highly as they do.

The room was pleasant but very small and very cold with no heating at all in the bathroom - good tea/coffee set up however with nice biscuits and cinder toffee.

Ate in the restaurant in the evening - no starters, two mains (one Sunday roast), shared cheeseboard, one pint of lager and two glasses of wine - came to £62 but was again remarkably average.

Breakfast in the morning was a shambles. Understand they had staff issues (it had snowed overnight) but still............30 minutes to get breakfast and when it did arrive it was cold? Even with the staff issues should have been handled much much better.

All in all wouldn't return. Don't object in the slightest to £225/£230 for room and dinner (and knew what it was before I booked) as it is about value not cost, but, many places in my opinion provide a lot better for the money.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MTB99Mike
Rebecca C, Bar and Restaurant Manager at Devonshire Arms at Pilsley, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2018

Thank you for your review.

I am sorry to hear your experience with us wasn't up to our high standard, I do apologise for this.

Unfortunately some of our staff weren't able to get to our location on the morning of your stay due to the weather however with this being out of our control our staff that do live in the village did the best they could in the situation.

Besides this I am pleased you enjoyed the amenities in the room, these are all provided by the local Chatsworth Farm Shop.

In addition, we do have extra heating appliances available in the Inn upon request.

Reviewed April 2, 2018 via mobile

After spending a lovely Easter weekend in Bakewell we called here for lunch before setting off home. The place is beautiful, the food is gorgeous and the staff are so very friendly. We will definitely come here again!!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Rebecca C, Bar and Restaurant Manager at Devonshire Arms at Pilsley, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

Thank you for your review!

I am very pleased to hear you had a lovely experience with us after your Easter weekend in Bakewell.

We do work hard as a team to create a warm and welcoming environment that provides good food, I will definitely pass on your lovely comments to each department, they will be pleased to hear them!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 2, 2018

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Devonshire Arms in March. We found it to be a delightful break in beautiful surroundings in Pilsley village. We had a lovely room complete with four poster bed and a great view and enjoyed two breakfasts and two dinners in the pub. The food (and the wine) were excellent, as was the service thoughout.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John C

Thank you for such a lovely review!

I am very pleased to hear you had a wonderful experience with us, we do work hard as a team to create a warm welcoming environment that provides good food. I will pass on your comments to our front of house team and kitchen staff, they will be pleased to hear them!

We hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed March 26, 2018 via mobile

We spent two nights at the Devonshire Arms at Pilsley in March 2018, and had dinner there both nights. The room was very comfortable, romantic, but modern. There were lots of extras including biscuits, tea and candy which was really nice.

I loved having dinner by the fire in the pub (my favorite meal was the fish and chips made with Chatsworth Gold beer). We didn't have the cooked breakfast but there were lots of pastries and cereals etc to choose from both mornings. I wish we were closer and could come for another getaway!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review following your recent stay with us.

We are delighted you enjoyed your visit and meals with us, we do work hard as a team to create a warm and welcoming environment to all our Guests while providing a high customer service. I am pleased you enjoyed the small extras in your room, these amenities are all provided by the Chatsworth Farm Shop.

I will definitely pass on your lovely comments to our kitchen staff, they will be pleased to hear them - our beer battered haddock and chips is one of our most popular dishes and Im pleased you thoroughly enjoyed it.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I took my Mum here today for lunch and really enjoyed it. I was glad I had booked a table as it ended up being quite busy by the time we left.
When the waitress saw my elderly Mum she immediately said we could sit in the bar area rather than the table that had been reserved. This was very good of her but my Mum was able to manage the couple of steps.
We shared bread, olives and battered cauliflower with chilli dip between us to start. All very tasty including salad garnish.
I asked if Mum could have a starter dish for her main course and waitress said this was fine. Mum enjoyed salmon and swordfish kebab which was a decent size for a starter. My husband's risotto was gorgeous. I had the vegetarian ploughman. It was prsented on a platter with bread and cheese. There were several small pots including sun dried tomatoes, vegetable pickle and pickled onions. It was all very tasty but I would have preferred some salad to go with it.
We were two full for desert. Service was very good and the two staff we saw were both very friendly and polite.
Really lovely place and would recommend. Would love to come back and sample the gin menu as it looked great!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
Rebecca C, Bar and Restaurant Manager at Devonshire Arms at Pilsley, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2018

Thank you for such a lovely review.

I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your lunch with us here at The Devonshire Arms.

We do highly recommend Guests to book ahead especially at weekends going into the Summer.

We do work hard as a team to provide great customer service in a warm and welcoming environment, I will pass on your wonderful comments to our kitchen team and to our front of house team - they will be pleased to hear them.

We look forward to your return in the near future to try our gin menu and hopefully fit in our dessert menu as well!