“No frills cheap hotel”

Econo Lodge Effingham
Ranked #17 of 19 Hotels in Effingham
Reviewed 6 May 2015

Came in late (midnight). Hotel clerk (tattoo showing on her chest) was knowledgeable and helpful. Recommend company polo or t-shirt for help Everything in the room was fine. Between 12 & 1am I heard a few people coming & going in the parking lot (which was dimly lit), which insinuated to me illegal activity. Wouldn't be real comfortable with my family here. Locking chain on inside off door was not functioning, which added to my feelings of insecurity. Ended up having an uneventful night sleep. Not very impressed w/ breakfast but the hotel was a good value, & the staff seemed genuinely interested in making my stay enjoyable.

Room Tip: Poorly lit parking area. 2nd floor may be more secure.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 January 2015

If you need to use a tablet after hours like I do than definitely pass this place up! "Yeah we have wifi." What they don't tell you is that they only have wifi in the lobby. The rooms aren't wired for wifi and the owner from what I was told isn't up with technology and has no plans to do so. I couldn't tell you how pissed off I was after having to shell out $75 for room in this dump yet this place has those goofy and useless room safes that no one uses.

Let's send this absentee owner a messege by boycotting this backward motel.

Room Tip: Yeah....find a different place to sleep.
  • Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business
Vicky M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2015

Dear Guest, I am sorry that you were not able to get Wi-Fi on your tablet. we are however hardwired for internet in the rooms as my desk clerk explained to you. I feel that the fact that your room was good and it was clean[ as you had no complaint in this area] that the advice to boycott seems a little bit harsh.Our guest that cant get Wi-Fi on there phones or tablets usually come to the lobby or if they have computers ,we have Ethernet cords available.

Reviewed 4 September 2014

We stayed here for one night on our way to Nashville. I was able to book a free night with Choice Rewards points. Even though it was free, it was not good. The desk clerk, Chris, was very friendly and helpful. We had been booked into a smoking room even though I requested non-smoking, and he changed it quickly. The carpet in the room felt dirty to bare feet, and the floor in the bathroom looked dirty (black grout and a long hair on the floor). The bathtub was so worn it was brown and peeling on the bottom, and it gave when we stood in it. I can't imagine what would happen with a really heavy person! The room had a refrigerator and microwave which were fine. The breakfast was adequate - waffles and sausage gravy were the hot choices. The only WiFi that's available is in the lobby - none in any of the rooms. This hotel needs serious updating, and we would not stay here again. I will try to post photos later.

Stayed: September 2014, travelled as a couple
tinkel, director of operations at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2014

Dear eagle watcher,

Please accept our sincere apology regarding the bathroom issues the tub non slip mat and the hair on the bath room floor. We just had all of our carpets cleaned so that may be why the carpet seemed damp and we are currently in the process of replacing all the tub mats in the entire hotel so the next time you visit us this should be completed. Just to let you know since the tile in the bathrooms are bright white the grout is black that is the color not dirty in any way. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future even though you said you would not.

Sincerely

The Hotel Management

Reviewed 2 September 2014 via mobile

I stay in hotels 300 + nights yearly and this hotel is one I'm glad to warn you about. The staff is friendly but after that checkin, watch out. The room was clean and the bed sheets were clean but the bed was very uncomfortable. There was a radio blaring from a car parked in front of my room and the front desk didn't do a thing about it. Overall......Bypass this one.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Vicky M, Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Guest, on behalf of the staff and myself i would like to apologize for failing to meet your expectations. We will take your comments to help make yours and other guest stay a more pleasant one, and i hope that you will give us another chance to provide you with an exceptional expierience.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

I believe I stayed in room 218. The room smelled. The towel I used to dry off after my shower literally flaked as I dried myself off. The tub had mildew on the bath mat. The sheet on the bed were only tucked in about 1" on the top and came undone in the middle of the night. I'm 6'1" tall and my feet hung over the bed. The remote control didn't work.....cover for batteries won't stay on....I had to get up to turn the TV off....the remote didn't have a channel advance. The front of the hotel looked nice enough but I was placed in a room on the backside of the hotel. The parking lot was a mess, new tree saplings growing out by the building where they shouldn't be, the outside room entrances dirty. It looked like an abandoned hotel from the back of the building. I will not stay at this hotel again....there has got to be a better budget hotel in the area. Before you check in drive around to the back parking lot to see what the hotel looks like after you look beyond the somewhat nice presentation of the front of the hotel. I think this hotel is just being used as a cash cow ....it doesn't look like they're putting any money into the place anymore.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Staff was helpful, since we had to move 2 times...Key would not work in one room, the second had 2 lights that did not work. Maintenance does not wo.rk on Sunday.

Finally, moved to nicer remodeled room.. Comfy bed. Clean. and it has a small but nice
outdoor Pool, it was refreshing since it was 97 degrees at 5pm

Traveling across the country..Good for one night. it was clean and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a newer room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Vicky M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to write your response. On behalf of the staff and myself i would like to thank you for staying with us and we will use your comments to make yours and all guest stays a great expierience. we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 20 August 2014

We checked in late, experiencing mechanical problems with my motorcycle. The desk clerk was very helpful in recommending a local shop and did his best to situate us in a room where we could keep an eye on the bikes, though there were no ground floor rooms available.

The room was clean and comfortable. We were so focused on getting my bike tended to, that we really didn't utilize the facilities. We slept well, which was the main thing, and the referral to Legacy Harley Barn was excellent!

Room Tip: This Econolodge is located behind a restaurant and next to a Comfort Inn, so it is very quiet. Room...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Vicky M, General Manager at Econo Lodge Effingham, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Guest, thank you for taking the time to write your online response. Your opinion is very important to us. On behalf of the staff and myself we thank you for choosing our hotel, and look forward to your next visit.