“Handicapped friendly”

Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed 23 April 2012

As usual, I spoke directly to the property, not the Hilton 800 number, and, upon “checking-in” I “confirmed with the front desk staff that my room would be a handicapped assessable, “roll in” shower. Didn’t happen. The room I was given was at best “semi-handicapped”, but nowhere near wheelchair assessable. The front desk staff at this Hilton though were apologetic, understading and VERY responsive. The on duty manager promptly found a properly handicapped room. The staff even transferred my belongings to the new room.
Why though don’t Hilton employees across North America understand what constitutes a “roll in” shower…… ???

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The rooms were clean and the breakfast was good (though it's not included.) Loud party off the lobby but I could not hear it on the second floor. But front desk check-in was not good and what was worse was when I accidently left my phone charger. I called a few hours after check out and they said they had it and would FedEx overnight it at my expense, which was fine. But when it never arrived I called back and this time they said they never found it and that is why they did not send it. After finally speaking with the same guy who had previously said they found it (luckily I remembered his name), he assured me he had it and this time would really FedEx it. I did get it the next day. But it was not mine. It was a completely different kind that I had just paid to have sent to me. Ugh!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 4ontheroadMD
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Arrvied late Friday. But front desk staff was excellent. Service was great!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2012

So, this is a pretty standard Hilton Garden Inn. I like the chain and stay at Hilton Garden Inns often. Three things set this apart. First, the location is close to Northwestern and within a few blocks of lots of shops and restaurants. Second, the room I was in (610) seemed a little larger than the average king bed room. I am not sure if all the rooms in the hotel are equally large. What really set this HGI apart, however, was the very efficient friendly staff. There were a few minor issues with who would be paying for my room (I was on travel for a a third party). Rather than have me sit there and sort everything out, the desk clerk simply gave me my room key and told me they would sort it out and get in touch if there were any questions. When you have been traveling all day and are tired, this taking the burden off of me meant a lot. Thirty minutes later, when I was going out for a walk around downtown Evanston, the desk clerk called out to me to let me know that everything had been resolved. This was only one instance of four that I remember, where the efficiency and friendliness of the staff made my stay both productive and much less of a hassle than it might have been. The staff are clearly well trained. When I return to Evanston, I will definitely choose its HGI.

Room Tip: Room 610 (King bed) faces the back with a nice view, quiet and large size.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank WGJ49
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Stayed here one night in Feb as my son wanted to visit Northwestern in a college search.
Checked in during the late evening and front desk person had ZERO personality. Acted like he could care less. Thank goodness we didn't need anything from him.
Room was clean, had an excellent plasma tv with tons of channels, bedding was good and the heater worked. Our needs were pretty minimal.
I would stay there again because of it's walking location to Northwestern. Too bad hotels do'nt train their front desk staff to look you in the eye as they talk to you and pretend to give a crap.
But, as I say, the room was quiet, clean, etc so I guess I would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here as it is the nearest to my meeting venue and others going to the same meeting ,generally stay there.
While the hotel is showing some wear, it is clean and comfortable. I was there a few nights.I could not sleep the first night as I was overlooking extremely noisy air conditioning inlets for the hotel. They moved me up one floor which helped but it was still noisy. Other parts of the hotel did not have this problem.
Food is expensive but there are many options nearby. The staff are very helpful.

Room Tip: Keep away from main air conditioning supply
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I spent 2 nights here while travelling on business. Great location within walking distance to many restaurants and shops in downtown Evanston. Rooms are showing a bit of wear but they were very clean and the property is quiet. The breakfast buffet is a bit pricey but they offer an A 'la carte option which is a nice alternative.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
0.7 km away
The Homestead
#5 of 7 in Evanston
5.0 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston? Share your experiences!