All reviews parking garage green street tavern courtyard restaurant main street general's restaurant deb bertucci abraham lincoln oldest hotel parlor suite historical hotel oldest operating susan b heart of downtown corner room trolley tour within walking distance my husband and i
Reviewed October 15, 2018 via mobile

Friendly service with personality. Two of us had pastrami sandwiches, one beef brisket and a Philly cheesesteak sandwich. They were all quite delicious! Make sure you walk around and tour this historic hotel! If you’re stopping for lunch be prepared to wait or try the garden restaurant.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 8, 2018

This grand old lady is showing her age. You can get past the faded carpets and the slanted floors, but after staying recently at the Washington House in Cedarburg WI and the St. James Hotel in Red Wing, MN, I can tell you that the price paid here at the DeSoto House is no longer worth it to us.

Besides the fact there are not any microwaves and fridges (which I might add could be stuck discretely in the closets or in a cabinet so as not to ruin the ambiance of the rooms), the linens are abysmal!!! The thin sheets are not large enough to even cover the thin (hard) mattresses, so the fuzzy, pilled mattress pads show, and there is not one feather, down, or even soft foam pillow of any sort in the room! The plain sickly gold-colored bedspreads with their pulled threads and discolorations, hark back more to 1965 than to the actual age of the hotel! Come on! You must be able to do better than this!

Then the bath situation was poor too. Tiny, low toilets. Small tub with no shelves for anything. A room with two people people had exactly one each bath towel, hand towel and washcloth, again, rather badly stained! (Eeeeuuuww!) If you wanted a towel for your body AND your hair, you were out of luck! The lack of towel bars in the bathroom was the worst I have ever seen, and the counter space barely existed.

We ate in the General's Restaurant one evening and while the food was fine, the prices were overly high and the "wooden nickels" given for us at the time we arrived would not buy non-alcoholic (we do not drink) iced drinks! ???? Really? I was a bartender. I know that mixing some mixes in a blender with ice is NOT expensive, meanwhile others are drinking top-shelf liquor???

I have stayed here several times before, but alas Galena, we will not be returning. Even the view from the expensive room overlooking the main street could not compensate for the negatives. I suggest some quaint area B&B.

Room tip: Main street view
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

Our group of 6 stopped here today for drinks and Clyde was awesome! We love this place! We had wings, soup and loved it all! We will be back! Everyone here was very helpful, history comes alive at the Desoto House!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 6, 2018

I went there for my birthday and it was beautiful. The staff was great the food was great and the rooms were spacey and beautiful. I would recommend going there. Te history was absolutely amazing. So beautiful

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2018 via mobile

We came to Galena for my husband’s birthday. The staff is great and very friendly. Less than 30 minutes from check in we had Casey from the front desk at our door bringing balloons in honor of my husband’s birthday. Now that’s a personal touch and very appreciated. We love being able to park right downtown and not have to find parking each day while visiting Historic Galena. Rooms are always clean and the hotel is very well kept.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple