“Amazing. Just... Amazing”

Ranked #6 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Richland Center
“Amazing. Just... Amazing”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Bernadine's Stillman Inn is a beautiful and masterfully maintained b&b located close enough to downtown Galena, IL. to be a very convenient walk to wonderful restaurants, shopping and historic sites. At the same time, being located just across from General & President U.S. Grant's Galena residence makes it just far away enough from downtown to be a quiet and cozy retreat from a busy tourist's day. My wife and I were stunned at the beauty of the inn when we arrived, as the mansion has been preserved to reflect it's 1800's roots but is loaded with modern amenities. A good balance. The service was beyond stellar and in fact the very best we have EVER experienced. We have traveled across the U.S. and abroad and I must say that we agreed that we have NEVER been treated so well during any stay at any lodging anywhere in the world. This is going against other b&b's, hotels and motels of all types and star ratings. We have paid MUCH more for a night elsewhere and had 1/8th the service at best. We look forward to returning many times to our new absolute favorite lodging at Bernadine's Stillman Inn.
-Bob & Alison

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Reviewed 8 April 2012

My husband and I stayed in a b&b for a first time and were so glad we picked the Stillman inn. Dave (the innkeeper) is a delightful person. Made us feel very at home! The rooms are great ! We stayed in the grand romance with a jacuzzi and loved it! Great atmosphere with lots of history. Great experience!

• Stayed April 2012
Hull, Massachusetts
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I enjoyed my recent semi-annual visit to Dave & Bernadine’s Inn. Great and fun innkeepers serving with a sense of joy and sharing. Relished the free cookies, ice cream, popcorn, fruit, and hearty excellent breakfast. The clean, quiet, historic rooms continue to grow more beautiful. Enjoyed walking down the hill from the mansion to downtown Galena. Along with some other guests, I took up the kind invitation of a couple who were also staying at the Stillman and attended their beautiful and moving wedding and reception in the chapel and banquet hall that is on the property.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Streamwood, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Just got back from my first trip to Galena. My boyfriend and I had a mediocre experience before with a B &B so I was so hoping this inn would be so much better. I loved the place and the people!!! The room was quiet and clean with a nice view. I felt transported to another era and with Grants House so close it was really cool to learn all the history. This inn also has the nicest innkeepers ever and they will make sure you have a warm, happy experience. i really feel that this is what a B & B should be!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
East Moline, Illinois
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Just returned from another stay at the Stillman. As always, it was absolutely amazing. We have stayed here several times , but this time we also had friends stay there to. They were very impressed with the mansion, the rooms and the great breakfasts. We all came up here for wine lovers weekend and we all decided to make this a yearly tradition. Me and my husband also stay here every year for our anniversary. We have had some of our best memory's here, thanks to Dave and Bernadine. You could not ask for better innkeepers.

• Stayed March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I've stayed a lot of places and there's only 1 guy that remembers me when I come back. Dave is the Stillman and always makes out stays enjoyable. You will not be disappointed coming here.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Hayfield
Reviewed 28 January 2012

My boyfriend planned a get-a-way weekend for my birthday at the Stillman Inn. Once we arrived, the Stillman Inn is breathtaking. It is gorgous on the inside and out! The 'keyhole staircase' is sure a site to see. I was a little nervous about our first stay at a B&B, however all of our nerves were subsided the minute we met Dave. He welcomed us in, gave us a tour and shared the history of the mansion with us. The room was excellent! The fireplace, comfy robes, comfy beds and the bottle of champagne in the fridge were top notch! The room was very quiet and it felt like it was just my boyfirend and I. The Inn is located near downtown and with in walking distance and located across the road from U.S Grants historic home. Very cool.
Dave the innkeeper was superb. Once we were finished with the tour he sat us down and went through some local restaurant menu's and current activities that were going on in Galena. He supplied us with a map so we new where everything was located. He even arranged our reservations at the restaurant for us. Once we were ready to head out for the evening Dave took our picture in front of the fireplace in the dining room and printed it off for a keepsake. The next morning breakfast was ready in the dining room. This was a great time to meet the other guests at the Inn. Dave served the breakfast and even sang 'Happy Birthday' to me. As we returned home from the Inn ( 5 hours away) I realised I lost a diamond earring. We called Dave and asked if they had come across anything. Dave and Bernadine searched the room 2 times and we received the call telling us the good news that they found the earring. Dave had it in the mail the next day. Dave and Bernadine truly go above and beyond for there guests. I can not thank them enough for finding my personal item that had more sentimental value than worth.
We can honestly not say enough good things about the Stillman Inn and Dave and Bernadine. It was a perfect weekend to relax and escape from reality for a few day! We WILL be back to visit soon!!
Dave & Kristen