All reviews the pub scones irish dancers live entertainment valley view glendalough suite weekend breakfast irish breakfast library area irish feel hot breakfast shepherds pie hiking trail my husband and i junior suite yogurt english muffin
Reviewed October 28, 2018

Husband and I stayed for our anniversary. It was ok, but pricey ($285/night). They call themselves a boutique hotel but I would consider it an Irish themed hotel rather than boutique. The location is not in a quaint area of Galena but on the highway heading out of town and parking lot surrounds the property. The fixtures and decor were fine and the room was clean. The fake electric fireplace in the room was tacky. Staff was friendly. They had live music in the bar but a large screen tv directly behind the performers played some sort of Ireland tourism video. I don’t think it was part of the act since there were commercials. Breakfast was free and with the exception of the weak coffee, ok. Next time we’d try and find something a little closer to downtown.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2018 via mobile

We booked this place online of course but when we finally arrived, first impression was that looks like an Irish ski lodge! Outside and inside decor and architecture is like a genuine replica of Irish lodging. Dark woods, leather seating, adjacent pub, comfy beds, ideallyic setting! Reasonable priced too! A great starting point to your visit to Galena.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed October 16, 2018

My girlfriend and I headed to Galena for a 2-day impromptu girls trip and made a reservation en route at the Irish Cottage. We really enjoyed our stay here and were not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and helpful, the room was spacious and clean and the hotel itself is quite charming - lots of great Irish character! We particularly enjoyed the morning breakfasts, especially the scones - BEST scones we've ever had!!! The library to eat in was so cute, great to sit and relax in. We only had breakfast once at the attached bar/restaurant but enjoyed it as well. Bed was comfortable, shower had great pressure and the bath products were very nice. Great place and short proximity to the downtown shops and restaurants as well as the Ulysses S Grant home. So happy we stayed - we will definitely be back!

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed October 14, 2018 via mobile

We came to Galena for the first time and stayed the weekend here. The room was spotless and the bed was comfortable. The staff was the friendliest I have ever encountered. We had a bottle of wine and when I asked to borrow an opener they gave us one to keep. The complementary hot breakfast was good. Saturday they had one option and Sunday they had two. We are vegetarians and they happily made accommodations when needed. The staff in general at Frank O'Dowd's pub was by far superior to any wait staff at any restaurant I've been to. They seem to genuinely love their jobs and love making people happy. There are hotel amenities that I normally wouldn't take advantage of but I did since I felt so welcome and I was not disappointed. They had free hot cider and warm cookies to sample, and a gorgeous library that I took a book to and curled up in a chair with a glass of wine and read for a few hours. I was genuinely sad to leave. Thank you for helping to make my visit so memorable.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2018 via mobile

A great weekend at The Cottage. They do a very nice job and cleanliness is obviously very important to them. Very comfortable bed, bedding, and towels.

The only issue we had, although minor...was that the room had a very musty smell on arrival. Opening the window for a few hours and all was good. This is the only thing keeping this from a 5 start review.

The complimentary hot breakfast each morning was delicious and served quickly and with smile.

We'll be back. Thank you for a great stay.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple