“A beautifull place to getaway”
Review of Goldmoor Inn

Goldmoor Inn
Ranked #7 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Beautiful grounds and view of the Mississippi River. Frendly helpfull staff. We stayed in one of Abe's cabins it was very private with a large whirlpool tub. You could see Patrisha's expertece in interier design everwere you looked.We chose breakfast in our room it was very good. I couldn't imagen a better place to get away.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 February 2012

What a lovely, elegant, classy place. We stayed in the Arthur Suite which was enormous with many amenities like a huge bathroom with heated towel bars, Wi-Fi (free), fireplace, kitchen area, fridge with complimentary beverages, 2 person whirlpool, nice decor and very private.
At one point it was snowing and when I looked out our window it was like a castle in a fairy snow globe, the river in the distance, a small train moving along the river bank and evergreens covered with snow. A lovely, romantic setting to just get away and only a few miles from the busy activity of Galena or the active ski slopes of Chestnut mountain. My sweetie took me here for Valentine's Day.
We dined in the Inn's restaurant and the food was excellent, with large portions.

Room Tip: Check out the web site for rooms, my guess is all the rooms would be wonderful.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My fiance and I were looking for a weekend getaway for our six year anniversary. We looked at many places online, but in the end, none of them came close to what the Goldmoor offered. It's nestled on the Mississippi River and is close to being in the middle of nowhere, which is a nice change when you're from the suburbs of Chicago. The only occasional noise is from the train tacks that are situated the bottom of the hill the Goldmoor sits on, but you really can't hear them from inside your suite. The outside of the Inn is absolutely gorgeous. When you see it, it'll make you feel like you're staying in a mansion. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.

THE ROOM:
Our room was the one nearest the front desk, which worried me at first due to the fact that I thought we'd hear people in the lobby, but we didn't. The room was very clean and cozy. There was a gas fireplace, which changes the atmosphere very easily with the flip of a switch. Our favorite attribute was the whirlpool tub, which was a must with whatever place we booked. This tub was incredibly large, which is great because I'm 5'11" and my fiance is 6'4". So if you are a taller couple and you are concerned about the tub, go with the Covington Suite. One more thing about the tub was that there PLENTY of hot water. The king sized bed was comfy and had down pillows. The only issue we had with sleeping was that the mini blinds didn't keep the light out in the morning, so it's hard to sleep in, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you have alot of stuff you want to do in the Galena area. They come in everyday while you're gone and clean the room, give you new towels and give you some new cookies, soda and water.

THE FOOD:
The Goldmoor has exceptional food, even the breakfast is amazing. While we were there, we were served omelets, creme brulee french toast, and eggs benedict. It was just enough and didn't make you're stomach feel heavy for the rest of the morning. We also had dinner in the restaurant, which again, was amazing. Both of us agreed it was the best dinner we've ever had. They served salad and bread with honey poppy-seed butter. We both requested the sirloin steak for our entree, the waitress came back and told us they were out of the sirloins, but the chef was offering us two 8oz. Filet Mignon each, instead of us having to pick something else, which was a complete upgrade to what we were asking for. What they made for us wasn't even on the menu. We seriously can't say enough about the food.

FINAL VERDICT:
Upon leaving we decided it was very likely that we'd go back for future anniversaries. The Goldmoor was exceptional, and I'm very glad that we found it instead of settling for another place.

Room Tip: The Covington Suite has, what we believe, is the largest tub. The other suites are nice, but have c...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My husband and I won a free two night stay and dinner at the Goldmore at a Wedding Show. The place looked beautiful and we were very excited to get away. We booked our reservations and ended up in the tower suite. The room was beauitful. It was a little odd though on the first floor was a bathroom, dinning room, small kitchen. Upstairs was the bed, a fire place, and a hot tub. Everytime you wanted to use the restroom you had to go all the way downstairs. It was slightly annoying. They delievered breakfast to our room each morning. We just had to call and let them know what time we wanted it. The food was ok. Nothing fabulous. They had french toast one mornign that was good. Most of the time the food was on the cold side and we ended up getting breakfast someplace else. The resort is very far off the beaten path so it can be a hall if you want to go into Galena. Our complaint was that they did not offer any types of small snacks or a place to purchase a milk or something if you were thirsty or hungry in the middle of the night.

We ate at their resturant. The food was actully very good, but not something I would want to spend the money for ourselves. It was very pricy when you looked at the menu. Overall our stay was nice. I think they have a ways to go in order to be the facility they are trying to be. I was imagining an amazing romatice get away in galena and in the end i felt like it was just a nice stay in a nice hotel room. THey need to add a little more personal touches.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jennifer N
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The staff was great and this place is absolutely gorgeous! My husband and I can not wait to return next year. I fell in love with the Midwest because of the Goldmoor. Thank you for making our trip so enjoyable. I loved the big oversized bed and sauna bath tub. I felt like a Queen. I can not wait to come back next year.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I've stayed at the Goldmoor Inn several times over the last 10 years. They never get old, or repetitive. I always feel like I've suddenly gone back in time to when I was younger, and didn't have a care in the world. Why do I feel this way? Because they have already thought of everything, before I've reached them. The accomodations are the best, and the ambiance and view takes be back to a much more simple time. No buildings blocking the view, no traffic clogging up my path. Heavenly relaxation, and rejuveination! If you missed this, you might as well have stayed home!

Room Tip: To stay out of the way, choose a cabin. For a good view, Mississippi Suit!
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I enjoyed our stay at the Goldmoor last week. I appriciated the decor, as the Arthur Suite was decorated toward more of a man taste. We enjoyed the quite time and breakfest was to die for. I recommend this place and we will be visiting again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple