“Excellent room, excellent food”
Review of Goldmoor Inn

Goldmoor Inn
Ranked #7 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We absolutely loved our time at the Goldmoor.

The room we stayed in, the Covington Suite, was huge, beautifully furnished, and had a gorgeous view of the Mississippi River from the gigantic hot tub. The inn looks like a country castle, especially at night: everything about it is perfectly appointed, and the decor and amenities are amazing.

Both of the brunches and the one dinner we had at the inn were wonderful -- great food and even better service. And the location, just outside of Galena, made it easy to visit town (where we had some meals and did some shopping) while still giving us the time in the country that we wanted.

Everything was perfect, and we learned that we get a 20 percent discount if we return. We'll be back!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river
There are newer reviews for Goldmoor Inn

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed at the Goldmoor to celebrate my husbands birthday. On the plus side the restaurant is very good. Rooms are huge and clean. We had the Covington Suite which was large with a whirlpool tub, nice large HD TV and a good breakfast was served in the room. On the minus side, the decor of our room was right out of the 1980's. Awful carpet, wallpaper, and fixtures. Furniture is faux wood. Bathroom cabinets and very old and chipping to show the particle board underneath. The bed is soft and creaky and was not conducive to sleeping. But there would have been no sleep anyway since the place is very close to a train which runs frequently all night and blows its whistle regularly. The screen patio is a tiny unkempt space and very disappointing. We have stayed at many, many bed and breakfasts and historic Inns around the world and for the price this was the most disappointing. Perhaps other rooms in the Goldmoor are of better quality. But for $335.00 per night off season I expected much more.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

I took my girlfriend to the Goldmoor for a surprise birthday party, and a surprise it was, not just to her, but to me as well. What beauty surrounded the area!!! We stayed in the English Cottage, which far exceeded my expectations. We had our own little driveway, a beautiful view of the Mississippi River, and numerous amentities inside the cottage, including a wonderful whirlpool. We ate the first night at the Goldmoor restaurant and had the chicken and dumplings, which were to die for. I also bought her a 75-minute stone message, which they gave her at the Goldmoor. She came back looking as relaxed as I have ever seen her.

We also had the most delicious breakfasts, both of which were brought to our room and served hot. Pancakes with fresh berries drizzled over them, hickory smoked bacon, cheese strata were just a few of the many things we were provided. I am about 6'3'' and have a great appetite...these meals left me content. I CANNOT say enough about the Goldmoor, except that if you're thinking about staying there, don't think, DO. You will regret not going and will not know what you have missed. I cannot wait to go back!!! Enjoy your time there!!!

Room Tip: The English Cottage and the Irish Cottage are the best!!!
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My boyfriend and I chose the Goldmoor Inn to stay at for the weekend to celebrate our 4 year anniversary. We stayed in the the Elizabeth Suite which was an absolutely beautiful room. The bed was very comfortable and spacious, as was the entire suite. The jacuzzi tub and fireplace were great additions to our stay, as well. I liked that there was a private bathroom in our room and that there was a hair dryer and shampoo/condition/lotion provided. The room was very clean and well kept. As for the service, It was some of the friendliest service I have ever experienced during a vacation. The normal check in hours are between 4 and 6 pm, however, we were running late and our drive too longer than expected. The front desk associate I spoke with was more than happy to accomodate us at a later time and was very friendly on the phone and in person. The staff at the Goldmoor went the extra mile to provide things you wouldn't necessarily think about, too. Each day we had our ice bin refilled for us so that we could make our own cocktails or have ice for our soda, which was nice. We also had new towels and make up remover towels provided each day. I have very few complaints about my stay, but there are a few things I feel they could improve to have made my stay that much more enjoyable. First, my boyfriend and I are avid college sports fans. We had hoped that we would be able to watch our games in our room with an awesome view considering the inn had directv. The TV happened to be about 15ft away from the end of our bed and was a little outdated and small. It was an okay TV, but we ended up having to move the fireplace chairs infront of the TV to watch the big 10 championship games. Second, we stayed three nights at the Goldmoor and were very pleased with the breakfast the first two mornings. However, on the third morning, the breakfast that was going to be served was the same exact thing as the first morning's breakfast we had. I was just disappointed that there was not more of a variety considering the price and the hype about the meals there. Lastly, there were only coffee cups and small bathroom cups provided. We had just hoped there would be glasses we could pour our own drinks into. Lastly, the view from this room was nothing special. It was overlooking the parking lot. Again, very small complaints, but they would have made the trip that much more amazing.

Overall, our stay was great. The room was spacious, beautiful and well kept. The staff were extremely friendly and it was about 6 miles away from the city. It was the perfect distance to get away from the hustle bustle. We would definitely stay here again.

Over all

Room Tip: The Queen Elizabeth suite does not have a view of the river.
Reviewed 11 March 2012

So glad we chose this inn for our weekend getaway! My husband and I stayed in one of the log cabins with our dog. The log cabins are the only rooms that dogs are allowed in, and it worked out perfectly for us! Breakfast is included in the room price, and was absolutely delicious! Like a B&B, there are no menu options. You eat what the chef prepares, but you certainly won't be disappointed! The apple pancakes were melt-in-your-mouth. You can choose to have breakfast in the dining room or served to your room. The dining room overlooks the Mississippi River. We had dinner in the restaurant one evening. It was certainly 5-star! A short distance from downtown Galena, it felt like we were staying at a peaceful, serene resort away from the hustle and bustle.

Room Tip: Log cabins allow pets. Cottages have a river view.
2  Thank Bailey H
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I got married at the Goldmoor Inn on February 18th. The accommodations were outstanding! The owners and staff made the entire weekend come together exactly how we had envisioned. They provided a truly stress free experience and went above and beyond which gave us the opportunity to enjoy every moment. The fireplace in the lodge provided the perfect backdrop for our small intimate wedding and the great room was perfect for our reception. The spaces were immaculate and the food was consistently amazing. Whether it be the included breakfast or our reception dinner, which included a personalized menu with gourmet selections, a beautiful coffee and hot chocolate bar and an oh so yummy ice cream sundae bar. Not to mention our wedding cake was made and designed on site. We heard over and over from our guests that it was the best wedding cake they ever had; and we couldn't agree more! We stayed in the beautiful Arthur suite and two days was not enough. The room was spacious, luxurious and had everything you could want. All of our guests had great experiences and we can't speak highly enough about the site and staff! We would recommend the Goldmoor to anyone without hesitation and we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Turret Room. This room gave us a 270 degree view of the surrounding area and I feel was probably the best room they have. It had two floors with a very nice bedroom set up. The 2 person hot tub holds 2 people easily and with an easy view of the TV at the same time. The bed was big and very comfortable. The dining area and small kitchen were located on the 1st floor and was perfect for the morning breakfeast that was included and hand delivered to the our table in the room. There was gas opperated fire places on both floors and all the lights dim which creates a very romantic mood. The staff was very friendly and helpful. I can honeslty say they were one of the most friendly staff we have encountered and that includes owners, front decks, restraurant people, massage people and the lady who delivered the breakfeast. My wife loved the robes that were provided in the rooms. This place is located off the beaten path, but we like it that way as it created space between the busy town of Gelena. We did dine at the hotel the 1st night and had a wonderful meal. We also took part in the hot stone massage which was very relaxing. There is a lot to do in the area and we ran out of time and had to skip some stuff. The price for the place and the dining is on the higher end, but it was well worth it. I only wished it was not so cold and windy so that we could have walked around the property. This place is what I picture a BandB to be. We will be coming back to the Goldmoor.

Room Tip: Make sure to go on Goldmoor's website to look at the rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple