“Romantic & Relaxing! Excellent WINTER GETAWAY!”

The Herrington Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Reviewed 24 January 2012

If you are looking for a cozy, romantic weekend getaway, then you've found the right place! While the hotel is located right in the middle of shopping, restaurants (and even a bit of traffic/main streets), once you step inside, all of your cares and worries just float away! We loved the lobby -- very quaint and quite impressive! -- truly a wonderful boutique hotel. We stayed on the first floor near the Spa in a room with a king-sized bed, over-sized jacuzzi tub, glass shower, and gas fireplace. The patio opened up directly to the Fox River and we couldn't believe just how close the water was as we stepped outside! Though a busy street (complete with bridge over the river) was just yards away with traffic zooming by, the sound of the rushing water was more than relaxing and seemed to keep that busy 'outside world' far enough away to forget your worries. We even slept with our screen door open to enjoy the sound of the babbling water as we fell asleep. (A room facing the river is highly recommended, as the other rooms face the parking lot and would highly detract from the 'getaway/relaxing' feeling you're seeking.) The spa services were wonderful and everyone was very kind & professional. We enjoyed the couples aromatherapy massage and even had the Spa draw a relaxing aromatherapy salt bath in our room (you can choose from a variety of baskets containing various scents and salts)...and they prepare everything for you for a very minimal fee. The milk and chocolate chip cookies were a wonderful touch with the turn-down service, too! The cookies were very thick (almost like a biscuit) and ooey, gooey warm! And we can't speak highly enough of Atwater's for an amazing dinner. This is definitely an excellent winter destination due to the almost cave-like warmth the hotel provides... very low, soft lighting, comforting touches to the decor and an overall air of coziness truly abounds! We will definitely return!

Room Tip: Definitly choose a room facing the river and preferably near the Spa if you're on the first floo...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
JP_Herrington, Director of Sales at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Thank you so much for helping us highlight what a wonderful winter getaway The Herrington is! Between the cozy guest room views, spa services, and fireplace in Atwater's restaurant, we are a great winter warm up. The milk and cookies seem to be everyone's favorite! We look forward to having you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 January 2012

We've been coming to the Herrington for the last several years and have always found it a delightful experience. We typically stay in a Deluxe River or Junior Suite and have found both excellent. We particularly enjoy having a balcony over the river. While I read a few comments about the TV positioning it is not a big deal to us and apparently there are rooms you can request where this is less of an issue. The marble baths, fixtures, towels and robes are all top-shelf. The continental breakfast is always fresh, plentiful and not your standard breakfast fare. The first quality meats, cheeses and pastries are of a quality you rarely find but in the nicest hotels. Our experieince with the service has always been very good and the ambiance of the lobby, fireplace and stonework is all very charming. We've enjoyed room service the restaurant very much however we often like to explore the many great restaurants in Geneva. The Chinese place in downtown St. Charles (Hunan??) delivers and is one of our favorites in all of Chicago. We have reccommended the Herrington to family, friends and colleagues and they always report a wonderful experience. One friend said the steak he had at the restaurant was the best he'd ever eaten (and he's eaten a lot of steaks). While I'm a regular visitor to Tripadvisor this the first time I've felt compelled to write a review because the The Herrington is a great home away from home for me and my wife. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: We enjoy the rooms overlooking the River. Great for sleeping
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank d_OHL15
Reviewed 31 December 2011

Herrington received my perfect rating for the decor of their property- the design of the rooms and ,the value .Beautiful view of the courtyard and the river .Staff members are excellent and go above and beyond to make sure you are satisified .Food is excellent with a world renowned chef .Thats why they received a four star / four diamond rating and I give it 5 .Looking forward to our next stay at this gem of a Inn

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We just got back after spending our 30th anniversary at the Harrington Inn. Since our anniversary is in the winter one of the things we looked for was a room with a fireplace. After unpacking and getting settled we went to turn the fireplace on and take a nap before dinner. The fireplace did not work. I called the front desk to let them know, they said they'd send the bellboy right up. After an hour of waiting for someone we again called the desk and was told they would send the maintainance man instead of a bellboy (made sense to me). 5 minutes later a bellboy arrives at the door and confirms that indeed the fireplace wasn't working and said the maintainance man would know what to do and he left. Once again we waited (still wanting to get a nap in) we called the desk again after no one showed up and was told the maintainance man wasn't in today and that they'd fix it first thing in the morning. A lot of good that was going to do us since we were checking out in the morning. We were offered another room which would have meant repacking and moving...we declined the offer so that we could at least relax for a few hours of our stay. Upon check-out we were asked how everything was and we expressed our disappointment with the fireplace and all she offered up was "sorry!"

We stayed in a junior suite and the television could not be seen from the bed so watching tv comfortably was not an option. Also the TV's are outdated (not flat screens). Another thing that was rather disgusting are the windows, I don't think they have ever been cleaned. I paid for my room through Groupon...if I had paid the regular rate of $324 a night I would have been even more disappointed. Over all the rooms are nice but could use a real freshing up and attention to details. I would have expected a price of maybe $125 a night max for this room.

5  Thank Elizabeth K
logwes, General Manager at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2012

Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologize your fireplace was not working properly and we failed to correct the problem in a timely manner. I fully understand how this issue impacted your experience and I hope you will consider returning so we can have an opportunity to make things right.

Please contact me directly if you should decide to return.

Paul Ruby, GM

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I stayed one Sunday night at the Herrington a few weeks ago. It had sentimental value for me as I had stayed there with my family probably 20 yrs ago. The lobby was gorgeously decorated for Christmas, especially the grand staircase, and the staff was kind, professional, and efficient.
The Herrington is like stepping back in time but with modern amenities. My room had two comfy double beds, a gas fireplace, a beautiful balcony with river view, and an amazing jacuzzi. The only annoyances, and they were minor, were 1) reading lamp between beds was too old fashioned and far away from the beds to read by, and 2) the TV was on the side of the room meaning that if you wanted to watch TV you'd have to crank your neck to the right. As a super quiet-seeking traveller, I lucked out on a Sunday night (fewer guests) but I think the sound transference between rooms and in the hallway might otherwise be a challenge.
Otherwise, I loved my room and especially was thrilled to come back from dinner and find a sumptuous robe, chilled milk, and the best chocolate chip cookie I've ever had waiting for me.
I also appreciated the nice continental breakfast the next morning.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, don't get a room near the lobby/bar on the 1st floor. I was on the 3rd floor...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank dgper
Reviewed 18 December 2011

My husband and I enjoy getting away every once in awhile even if it is in town. The Herrington is a lovely hotel with a very warm and accomodating staff. We stayed one night this time Dec.10th. The lobby and elegant stair case were beautifully decorated for the holidays. At night it lit up.
Service is top shelf from the moment you check in, very warm and personable staff to meet your every need. We have not ate in their restaurant but quite certain the food is great as their complimentary buffet breakfast european style is wonderful.
The hotel is very quiet and peaceful. The view from your room of the river is so relaxing, turn on the fireplace and get cozy, you'll never want to leave, we never have, no reason to. Have room service bring you your dinner, it's a perfect evening together. Very comfortable beds and pillows. The heated marble floors in the bathroom did feel great when stepping out of the jacuzzi, which I really didn't want to leave but the warm fireplace was waiting and my milk and cookies as well.
If your planning a trip to Geneva or Saint Charles you'll want to book your stay with them, you won't be disappointed!! This is a fabulous hotel and we look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: We would recommend a balcony suite overlooking the water. Personally we enjoy the 2nd or 3rd floor f...
1  Thank whiskerwatcher
Reviewed 9 December 2011

We had seen a few negative reviews, but decided to take a chance and spend 2 nights at the Herrington Inn. We were looking for a quiet place outside of Chicago. We chose a suite overlooking the river. Our first impression when we walked into the lobby, was that it looked dark and gloomy. Even though it was mid afternoon, our room was so dark that we had to put the lights on. The light bulbs were so dim that it would be impossible to read without straining one’s eyes . I had to request an extra lamp. The TV was in an armoir that was positioned on one the side of the bed, making it impossible to watch TV while in bed. The extra lamp shed more light on the condition of the room. It was quite evident that the room was dated. The carpet was dirty and furnishings were shabby and ready to be retired. Superficial cleaning had been done but there was a thick layer of dust all around the base of the bed and furniture. The arm chair was torn in several places, the material was fraying and colors were fading. The desk and other furniture were covered with scratches. We went to dinner but upon returning to the room, we determined that we simply could not spend the night in such an unpleasant dingy place. We called the Service desk and were given a choice of 2 other rooms.

Although, our second choice did not have a view of the river and was a little smaller than our previous room, it was in better shape and the layout was better. The TV was in a ‘normal` position and could be seen from the bed.

The complimentary breakfast was awful and embarrassing. It was the skimpiest continental breakfast we have ever experienced. There were miniature Danishes that looked like they had been frozen or were days old. There were 2 cold boiled eggs in a bowl, boxed cereal and some soggy cut fruit. The coffee was so acidic, we could not drink it. There were no bagels, and no toast or rolls. We decided to forego breakfast the following morning.

There is much more that we can comment on, but this should suffice. It is sad to pay to stay in a place that is much more inferior and uncomfortable than your own home. We travel a lot and are usually very pleased with our selection of places to stay. The Herrington Inn was definitely substandard. We are putting this experience in writing hoping that it may inspire the Herrington Inn to make some changes and improvements. The Inn is in dire need of a face lift and a spring cleaning. The place has the potential to be a pretty Inn with ambiance. We hope that that will happen sometime in the near future.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ron S

We do appreciate your comments and the opportunity to improve in some areas that did not meet your expectations. Please call me personally when arranging your next stay so that I can personally attend to the details and ensure that your next experience produces a much more positive outcome! Jennifer

Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
3 km away
Hilton Garden Inn St. Charles
#3 of 11 in Saint Charles
12.2 km away
Hampton Inn and Suites Chicago / Aurora

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!