“Big on Charm, High on Price”

The Herrington Inn & Spa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Geneva
Geneva, Illinois
“Big on Charm, High on Price”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

As odd as it might sound, my husband & I live in Geneva but once a year, we sneak away to The Herrington to “get away.” Our small little town has so much to offer & every now and then it’s nice to put our day to day responsibilities aside and just enjoy Geneva as a tourist would.

There is so much to love about the Herrington. It oozes charm from the minute you walk into the lobby. The staff is exceptionally friendly (if you’ve never been to Geneva, it’s one of the town’s best features. Almost everyone is friendly!) The Inn has a restaurant located just off the lobby – Atwoods. It is a little pricier than most restaurants in Geneva but the view is lovely. When you make reservations, ask to sit near the windows that overlook the Fox River. The Inn also has a small spa. If visiting between May-October, be sure to book your appointment early as they can fill up on a busy weekend.

As for the rooms, I highly recommend booking a River Premier room, as the extra amenities, which I’ll get into in a minute, are worth the extra money. Unfortunately, none were available when my husband & I last visited and I was very disappointed. It was not the experience I was used to, and quite frankly, I’d expect more for what I paid. But that aside, let me tell you what you’ll love about the Herrington, regardless of which room you stay in. The rooms are very private and quiet. Our room overlooked the courtyard, which is a nice view. It also had a fireplace, which is always a nice “extra” to have. The bathroom has marble floors, a luxurious soaking tub and a separate, glass shower. Turn down service usually arrives between 5:30-8:30, where spa-quality robes and fluffy slippers are put out and a plate of cookies, accompanied by cold (real glass) bottles of milk on ice, is left waiting for you. What a treat! There is also a very simple (cereal, fruit, a few pastries & coffee) continental breakfast in the lobby.

Now why I was disappointed…as I mentioned, our last stay had us in a lovely room overlooking the Fox River. It was larger in square footage – both the room and the bathroom. The bathroom was truly exquisite – spacious with heated marble floors. The bath, in my memory, was also bigger than the one in the courtyard room. Because the room was bigger, we were able to lay in bed and watch the fireplace. In the courtyard room, the bed was so close to the fireplace, we weren’t able to see it/enjoy it. There is no other seating option for two in the room, so it was almost a wasted feature and I REALLY missed the heated floor in the bathroom. At a rate of $239+tax ($265 total!), I’d expect all of the rooms to be comfy, cozy, sanctuaries. This one was nice, but overpriced for a fairly standard hotel room. At that rate, we could have gone to Chicago and stayed at a boutique hotel.

With all of that said, I do highly recommend a River Premier room at The Herrington. It is an absolutely darling inn, albeit overpriced. Geneva is a charming little town, with great food, lots of shopping & some of the friendliest people you’ll have the pleasure of meeting. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Pay extra for a river premier room. The views are lovely and the rooms are MUCH nicer.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bmgonz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Byron, Illinois
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My husband and I were looking for a night away when we stumbled upon the Herrington Inn & Spa. All I can say is, "Outstanding!". Without rambling, I think it's best to just list what I love about this place:
The Staff - Friendly, Attentive, Accomodating!
The Room - Warm, Beautiful, Comfortable!
The Bed - Cozy, Soft, Dreamy!
The Bath - Fits two! (enough said) :)
The Hotel - Historical, Inviting, Relaxing.
The Area - Wonderful town! Quick walk to a few pubs. Right on the river!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to all of my friends. (I actually already have!)
Can't wait to return to this wonderful place!!!

Room Tip: River View...lovely!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Went on our annual girls shopping trip and stayed at the Herrington for the first time. It was beautiful and cozy. The staff was the most friendly group of people from the hotel to the spa. We enjoyed our stay so much and they had all the little touches to make it extra special right down to warm cookies and milk when they turn your bed down. I would recommend this as a girls trip or a romantic get away. You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 March 2012

my husband and i loved the herrington inn. the ambience is very inviting and warm. the rooms are very comfortable and beautiful. def. a great place to spent some time alone. i would recommend the herrington in a heartbeat to anyone who is looking for a romantic gateway.we travel in the wintertime around christmas season. The view from our room of the lights and view on the fox river, reminded me of europe. it was an amazing experience. i also heard their spa is wonderful.

heidy goercke

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank heidygoercke
Leo
Reviewed 6 March 2012

we loved the ambience at this inn located on the Fox River in Geneva, IL. Once a dairy mill, it has been converted into an inn with about 60 plus rooms. Ours(a junior river suite) was huge with high ceilings, plush fabrics and a beautiful bathroom with bubble tub. We had a fabulous, relaxing weekend exploring the nearby town of Geneva. Go to Fiora's for dinner!There's also a great deli several doors down from Fiora's where we lunched. Also, love the spa features(great massages) and the fitness club just across the street.

What a great weekend stay for couples!

Room Tip: Junior River suite have view of Fox River, quiet and well appointed
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
MOKENA
Reviewed 24 February 2012

We went for a New Year's celebration, and packed our bags well before midnight. The noise level was atrocious: banging, thumping, and shouting (we thought we were in a frat house.) In addition, the hotel laundry room was right outside our door, and the maids were having a laundry party into the early hours of the evening. We were a little suspicious when we discovered all of the lights had low wattage bulbs...but, upon further inspection it was CLEAR why. The place was pretty shabby and dirty-UCK! We brought wine and a movie to hang out, but when you laid on the bed you had to crick your neck 45 degrees to see the TV. High class spa-NO WAY. It took me seven weeks to receive a credit from American Express, but I did it! NEVER AGAIN!

Room Tip: go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PAULA C
Springfield IL
Reviewed 20 February 2012

While our son was attending Wheaton College, we adopted this remarkable inn as home away from home. This weekend we had the pleasure of rekindling our enjoyment while celebrating a family birthday. Admittedly Geneva is a much more enjoyable destination in the spring and fall, but even with the wind chill in the 20s, several excellent restaurants are in walking distance. And the restaurant at the inn itself is one of the best.

Room Tip: The Herrignton Suites are the best, but also the costliest. Short of that, any of the rooms on the...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
JP_Herrington, Director of Sales at The Herrington Inn & Spa, responded to this review, 22 February 2012
Thank you for your kind comments about our Inn and restaurant, Atwater's. We do strive to pass along that "home away from home" feeling to our guests with our service and beautiful surroundings, and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Geneva
3.0 km away
4.6 km away
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
Courtyard Chicago St. Charles
#5 of 11 in Saint Charles

Been to The Herrington Inn & Spa? Share your experiences!