1,122 results
All reviews whale sharks half board fish water villa our honeymoon semi circle his team sunset cocktails breakfast and dinner a la carte restaurant no shoes other resorts manta point different theme understated luxury marine life ping pong table
Reviewed May 11, 2017 via mobile

Where to start for Mirihi ... I chose Mirihi based on reviews which stated it had an excellent house reef, delicious food and laid back luxury style. It had all these things and more and certainly exceeded my expectations, which is pretty rare!

Transfers - The seaplane ride was organised for us and went very smoothly, with reps to meet us at both ends. They even scheduled the plane early in the morning so that we could make the most of our first day on Mirihi. Check in at Mirihi was fast and we had access to our villa straight away which was great given that we arrived early.

Villa - We had an overwater villa in the semi circle with direct access to the house reef (wear reef shoes or flippers for your feet!). The villa was beautiful but not over the top, pretty much a main bedroom, bathroom with shower and double vanity and deck with loungers and a small table and chairs. The furnishing was stylish greys and oranges. Room had everything we needed and a couple of nice touches like a Bose player and Nespresso machine.

Island and weather - The island itself is small and stunning, just like a postcard! Beautiful white sand and calm ocean with all shades of blue and green. We were there in the shoulder season (May) and it seemed that one side of the island was always a little choppy and the opposite side always completely flat, with the sides changing throughout the day. We were there for 5 days and the weather was beautiful other than one day of rain, and even then we were still in the water.

Activities - The house reef is amazing! We spent most of our time snorkelling and saw hundreds of tropical fish of all colours under the sun, turtles, eagle rays and many sharks, and all this directly off our balcony or off the beach! We also did the whale shark excursion and were lucky enough to see a whale shark and two manta rays - the trip would have been great even without this as the yacht and scenery are both very beautiful and the lunch is delicious. We also did the house reef excursion which took us to a couple of close snorkelling points by boat - we saw similar things to near our villa although in greater numbers and including a good eagle ray and turtle sighting. The resort also had other day trips available which we didn't have time to do, maybe next time! The resort also has kayaks and standup paddle boards free of charge which we used. We stayed for 5 days and I didn't get bored at all due to the variety of marine life, could actually have done with a couple more days! I also used the spa which was excellent.

Food - We were on the half board package (breakfast and dinner) and the dinner buffet was literally the best buffet I've ever had (and I'm fussy!). Each night has a different food theme (a good reason to stay for 7 nights!) and the chefs make a variety of fresh and delicious dishes and explain the selection to the guests. I liked that the portion sizes were relatively small so that I could sample lots of different things. There is also an alacarte restaurant available (at additional cost) but the buffet was so good that we didn't try it. We didn't eat lunch most days as the buffet was more than enough. The wine selection is extensive (including champagne by the glass and some half bottles) and reasonable pricing given how isolated the island is - similar to Singapore pricing. The water in the rooms is filled up morning and evening which was sufficient for us.

Service - The service is excellent, attentive but not over the top. The staff take time to talk to the guests and are always on hand for advice.

Wow factor - For me, the island had something special which was hard to identify. One thing I loved was that the island was very nice and luxurious, but a laid back kind of luxury, not too posh or over the top, eg no pool (don't need it), barefoot everywhere including in the restaurant, no TVs, no motorised water sports, sand floor restaurant. Despite being full capacity with over 70 people, the resort was very quiet and all the guests seemed pretty chilled. The resort had nice little touches everywhere and a special vibe which I think comes from being independently owned and not part of a hotel chain.

I went to Mirihi thinking it was a once in a lifetime holiday but it was so amazing that I definitely want to return!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
5  Thank adventurousflashpack
Reviewed May 8, 2017

Mirihi's tagline is "As Unique As You", and they are 100% correct. After experiencing the magic of their island paradise for a week, I would go further and, from experience, say there is nowhere else like it.

Staff: From the first to the last, my new wife and I were treated like we were the only people on the island. Every single member of staff made an effort to make us feel special; they knew our room number, referenced previous conversations earlier in the week and made a real effort to make us feel at home. I could mention copious members of staff by name, but that wouldn't be fair because they were all amazing.

Grounds: The island is truly beautiful. You can walk around it in 10 minutes, but we weren't done exploring by the time we left because the house reef is stunning. We regret not snorkelling more; we managed to see thousands of Parrot Fish, Eagle Rays, Turtles and Sharks with our snorkel gear (a reason to go back!)

Diving: I had never dived before, but the dive staff were very professional, offered up advice and I now have 3 dives under my belt! I am a convert and will do my PADI so I can go on 38 other dives in the area (another reason to go back!). One thing to note is that it could be useful to include tank rental in the pricing.

Food: Sven, Fernando and the kitchen team cooked up an absolute storm everyday. Many other reviewers have spoken about the buffet not "feeling like a buffet", and I agree. The passion for cooking was obvious, and the care in presentation and selection of food every morning, noon and night meant that we were never left feeling underwhelmed. It was service with a smile (obviously another reason to return!)

Room: Our room was awesome. We stayed in 17, which had a nice private feel. The bathrooms were perfect for couples because there are two sinks (no domestics over who brushes their teeth first here). Our room had direct access to the sea, although be mindful of the tide because it would be easy to get stranded as the tide goes out!

Ultimately, we've already decided to save for a return trip; the staff, food, island and diving were incredible, sure, but what we expected would be a once-in-a-lifetime trip is actually something that we are positive we want experience again.

Thank you Gûnther, and please extend our gratitude to your amazing staff. You have all created something extremely special.

Mr & Mrs H.

Room Tip: Rooms 7-20 offer sunset views
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Yarnietings
Reviewed May 5, 2017

Mirihi is the 5th resort we have been to in the Maldives and it is a little different. It was difficult to pin down exactly until we found it was privately owned. There's little if any branding, the colours tone perfectly with the setting - two pastel blues and greys. The beach umbrellas are white and the china is a lovely off white with a silk finish.

All the materials are of the highest quality - mostly solid wood. The island has a very natural feel, not perfectly manicured, but a perfectly natural setting. There are little surprises around every corner - a hammock here, a pair of loungers there. Despite being a very small island with space for only 6 beach bungalows (the rest of the rooms being over water villas) it never felt crowded - we were surprised to learn it was full.

We were not the only ones to experience the different feel. Chatting with other couples, they also noticed the discreet but attentive service and we put it down to the lack of a corporate brand manual which other chain based resorts need to abide by.

We understand the owner stays at Mirihi 6 months of the year and certainly you can sense she has put her personal touches everywhere and has high standards.

There is good snorkelling on the house reef (4 out of 5 on my personal scale - only Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru gets 5) and we swan with a turtle. There are whale shark and manta day trips trips too.

Oh, and I have't mentioned the food. It is wonderful! Breakfast and dinner are buffet style, but the best quality and variety we have had in the Maldives. A fine dining restaurant is an alternative and the Lobster night was awesome.

It is our new favourite Maldivian island.

Room Tip: There are only 6 beach bungalows.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rmkeefe
Reviewed May 4, 2017

The Island:
Breathtaking! The island itself with crystal clear water was only 0.4 miles all the way around, yet, had humongous house reef - almost 4 miles around the island and also a huge lagoon at the front. House reef was right under our water bungalow and it was indeed paradise for snorkeling. The island was very quiet and private, which was the perfect place to relax and enjoy every single peaceful moment.

The Service:
Excellent! From the second we landed at Male to the second we got back to Male, all our luggages, sea /air/ land transportations had been well taken care off. Everything was extremely smooth and efficient and we literally did not need to worry a thing. All the staffs were kind, helpful and wonderful. They provided individualized service really made us feel special and touched our hearts. Every time when we're back from our meal, our room was already neat and clean. The way they delivered messages to our room was very unique too. Staffs were very caring. A staff named Raoof even checked with me first and provided dramamine before we headed out to open water snorkel. We would give their service more than 5 stars.

The Food:
Delicious! They've got some serious talented chefs in their kitchen. Every meal they provided was surprisingly good, high quality and creative. We were specially impressed by their seafood night with fresh gigantic pawns, lobsters and oysters. We could taste the heart and love the chefs put into the food.

Conclusion:
This emerald jewel in the Indian Ocean gave us the best memory to bring home.
Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Isabella S
Reviewed May 1, 2017

Firstly a quick shout out t Purely Maldives. If you are looking to go from the UK, this company did a superb job of arranging the trip and even kept looking for cheaper flights for us after we had paid our deposit.

On to Mirihi itself. I'd built my expectations rather high for this holiday and I have to say that the staff and the setting outdid themselves. It was a truly amazing experience and one of the few places that we have put in our diary to revisit.

While the island itself is compact and beautiful it is really the staff, both front of house and behind the scenes that set this place apart. There where smiles and greetings from everyone and if the staff could find a way to help improve your holiday they would do so without a second thought and in as unobtrusive way as possible. When we first landed on the island we were greeted by name and handed cold towels followed by a tour of the island. My partner has an allergy to coconut and as soon as we went to the restaurant Felix, the executive chef, came out and knew who we were including the allergy despite us last mentioning anything about it around 9 months previously. Felix then went round and let us know what contained coconut and either he or one of his staff would do this for every meal. The Maldivian nights were almost all coconut but the kitchen staff whipped up food specifically for my partner. I cannot say enough how proud the owner should be of their staff, they made us feel at home and part of a family.

The island itself is beautiful and well maintained. The coral in the house reef has unfortunately suffered due to last years El Nino but there are signs of it coming back and in a couple years it will be magnificent. There were masses of fish, eagle rays dancing into the lagoon in the evenings, some baby reef sharks roving around and a couple of turtles if you were lucky. There were daily scuba diving trips to various areas and I'd like to thank Fareed for his patience with my partner in getting her qualified as an open water diver. We unfortunately didn't see any whale sharks or manta while diving but did get some amazing views while going on the snorkelling trips of these huge animals. I was like a three year old with excitement for most of the day after seeing my first whale shark.

The water villas are understated and fit the character of the island whilst still being as high quality as everything else here.

This is a relaxing island and the nightlife is suitably subdued. The nights where Mohamed sang in the bars gave a great ambience especially when he sang the dhivehi songs.

I think that the other reviews here have covered pretty much everything else and I would run out of glowing phrases for the resort if I carried on. All in all if you want to scuba, snorkel or just relax I cannot recommend this resort enough.

One side note is that although children are welcome on the resort and the staff were great with those I did see, this is a resort very much orientated towards adults.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple