“New favorite breakfast place”
Review of Jay Lovell’s

Jay Lovell’s
Ranked #15 of 60 Restaurants in Highwood
Price range: US$2 - US$14
Cuisines: American
Description: Jay Lovell’s is your premier restaurant located in Highwood, IL. We offer breakfast and lunch options, from salads and sandwiches to barbecue. Stop on by to dine in or grab some take-out. We also offer a catering menu! Whatever you may be craving, you’re sure to find something to satisfy your taste buds at Jay Lovell’s. “A Jay and Darice Enterprise. Thank you for coming and have a wonderful day!”
Reviewed June 7, 2016 via mobile

Had breakfast here twice and the omlette and sides were delicious. You have your choice of many toppings, potatoes, side meat and bread all for one price. Casual atmosphere and fast service. Someone suggested trying their dinner which I will gladly do.

1  Thank busy_traveler

Reviewed April 24, 2016 via mobile

Our first time. The food was excellent. I had the egg salad BLT and Harry had a Patty Melt with fries. Everything was very good. Or is very casual. You order at the counter & they serve the food from there. You can order wine & they apparently make wonderful pies. We didn't try them but understand they are very good. It was a very good experience.

1  Thank Barbara S
Reviewed January 18, 2016

Went for dinner with a girlfriend on a Friday night. Crowded, but still got a table. Ordered the salmon special - DELICIOUS. Could have used a small side of rice, but the fish and veggies were outstanding. My friend had a delicious chicken dish. Good variety and nice that there is no wait staff to tip and add to the bill. Love the casual atmosphere paired with the more upscale menu. Will definitely try it again.

1  Thank lori1019
Reviewed January 7, 2016

Although we were really sad to have Lovell's of Lake Forest close, truth be told, we couldn't afford to eat there very often.
In this spot, Jay has opened a gem of a place that has delicious food that is super affordable.
I had the ribs which were very tasty, and came with excellent frites, for $14!
Hubby had a nice brisket sandwich for about the same.
Wine is offered by the glass, and the selections are nice but a bit on the higher $ side.
The highlight of the meal is without a doubt the delicious homemade pie!
We shared blueberry and apple-cranberry, which was even better because it was warm.
Jay takes your order at the counter, and you pick out a a table, then pick up your food when it's ready. There's no waiters, etc, which is what keeps it all simple and keeps the prices low.
I know we will be back for sure.

1  Thank irisarbor
Reviewed December 23, 2015

Sweet dreams are made of this.

This restaurant is an approachable price point eatery from Jay Lovell. And my goodness it is GOOD. I'm talking take me to church because this must be a sin good.

Hubby and I have tried the pulled pork, clam chowder and burgers here. Oh. And the pie! I'm salivating just thinking about it.

The pulled pork sauce they use is sweet but not too much. It's so much meat that we actually split a sandwich. I can't imagine eating a whole one in a single serving.

The fries are extra greasy and good. Again, we easily split a serving of fries too. Otherwise I think the heartburn would put us over the edge.

As an original East coaster, I'm particular about my chowders. Lovell's has the right balance of cream, salt and seafood. It's still a soup with enough meat in it.

The burgers. Again. Greasy in the absolutely best way. I think they butter the buns as well to add just that extra ooph of flavor.

They make whole pies which you can take home. Or you can grab a slice. I haven't had a pie crust like theirs since my grandma. Made me homesick for her.

By far, the food is a 5. The interior, however, is a 3. And so in fairness I'm giving it a 4. But I'm torn.

The interior isn't amazing. They have about 8 tables and a counter. It would be a good place to sit in and eat lunch. But carry out is easy. They're working with limited space, so I get it.

They also serve breakfast but we haven't experienced it yet. Emphasis on the word YET.

I would also ask they get a soda fountain machine. It's easy enough, guys.

If you haven't tried this place yet, you owe it to yourself. Just don't blame the weight gain on me.

1  Thank MomOfBoysOhMy