All reviewsenglish roomluxury hotelnorth shorerooms are beautifultea serviceenglish stylelittle toucheshearth roomold world charmwill return for surepeasfiletrack of lambevery eveningchicagoland arealake blufflooked wonderful
Reviewed April 19, 2017

I'm travelling a lot but this hotel is a very rare and unique place in the wonderful area of Lake Forest. The architecture of this warm and cozy house together with the friendliness of the staff made this hotel to be one of my favorites ever. I'll definitely come back.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
DPI-Management, Guest Services Representative at The Deer Path Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2017

Thank you for this wonderful review! We are so thrilled to be among your favorites, and cannot wait for your return!

Reviewed April 5, 2017

I’d heard good things about the restaurant in the Deer Path Inn before and made a mental note to try it sometime. It was the Picky Eater's birthday and I wanted to take out to great romantic dinner on Chicago’s North shore and the Deer Path Inn's English Room came to mind, so I went with the thought. The English Room is an authentic English-style restaurant in a boutique hotel located in Lake Forest - hardly the fine dining destination of the Chicago-land area. Based on my recent dining experience there, it should be!

First, it is a beautiful room, with wonderful natural lighting augmented with tasteful artificial lighting. Dark shiny wood and lots of cut crystal. The room looks like a place to have a romantic meal.

Second, the service was impeccable. From the stairway to the Maître De station to the table, we were whisked in so deftly and grandly - and then they were gone, replaced nearly soundlessly by service staff filling glasses, serving herbed butter and piping hot English popovers (These were absolutely the most "dead-on" popovers I've had since dining in the UK). Though she asked many questions about the menu items, including preparation, variation and substitution of ingredients, flavors, etc, our waiter was knowledgeable about all aspects of the menu and even the Picky Eater opined, "They aren't easily frustrated by questions". No need to be. Consummate professionals. They know their craft and how to serve the customer.

The meal was amazing and, without reservation, I would compare it to any I've had in the Chicago area, including 3-4 that have Michelin stars, including Grace, Acadia, TRU, and Boka, and for less than half the price. The English Room is definitely one of the perks of living in the North Shore suburbs.

Appetizer: I had the Maryland Crab Cake as an appetizer and the Picky Eater had the Sea Scallops. It was a smaller, but exact replica of a true Maryland Crab Cake and the best I've had and not been in Baltimore or Linthicum Heights, Maryland. The Sea Scallops tasted so fresh it was as if they'd just been shucked - no kidding, sweet, and tasting of the sea. My hat goes off to their purveyor. The scallops were cartelized perfectly and serviced hot, as they should be. They were on a bed of English Pea risotto ( I am not big on peas, English or otherwise, but. . . .), which nearly outshone the perfectly executed Sea Scallops. The risotto was flavorful, with great textures, and just overall amazing. I honestly didn't think you could do so much with peas, but I'd have ordered a plate of those as an entrée, now that I’ve tasted them. So good! I’d eat a sandwich of those peas, if they’d sell it.

Entrees: We went simple - I ordered King Salmon and Picky Eater ordered the Rack of Lamb. I love salmon and this was real "wild caught" King Salmon. As you may know, it’s a crapshoot, even at the finest dining restaurants, if you actually getting the correct species of fish or ‘wild caught” versus very good farmed fish. This was the real deal – and a prodigious piece of fish. Unmistakably wild caught! The salmon flavor was rich, slightly oily (but in a great, awesome way), fresh, and dense. It was so chocked full of Omega 3's that I started to feel stronger while I ate it. Now I know why bears brave the running rapids to catch these fish, they’re rejuvenating. The preparation was perfect, slight cartelized top with a hot pink center, sparingly seasoned to accent the natural flavor of the fish. Now I am spoiled and, probably, can't eat King Salmon anywhere else. But I wouldn't trade that for the meal, it was awesome. The forbidden black rice was "crazy-good" and accompanied by peas in a white wine sauce. I could've eaten more of it too. It was the perfect accompaniment to the King Salmon.

The Picky Eater really has a nearly unnatural love affair with lamb, regardless of the preparation - it’s a Jamaican thing, I guess. As our entrees were served, she noticed our favorite Morning TV Anchor at a nearby table. Normally, this would generate a long and whispered conversation and nudges to say make me interrupt his meal and say "hello". She believes such notice (and annoyance) is one of the perks of being on television and a "celebrity"? Well, if it was, he was "dissed" that night, because the Rack of Lamb was a dish “to be seen and savored by the eyes” – when it was set before her, she quickly forget he was close by or in the room for that matter.

The Rack of Lamb was prepared, plated, and served beautifully, by men who murmured softly, refilled wine and water glasses, smiled warmly, and soundlessly disappeared. Other than telling me "God, this is so good. Here you have to try some!” she merely glanced at me with loving gazes and I knew I'd picked the right place for her birthday. The lamb was perfectly prepared, nut brown with flecks of herbs and pepper, slightly aromatic, hot pink center, and both juicy and tender. This was no small Rack either, and the Chef served it in two ribs portions. She couldn't eat it all (amazing in itself) and took the leftovers home - though, honestly, she'd polished 90% of it off. She ate ALL of the vegetables and sauces it was served on and did NOT share any. Later, on the ride home, she remarked that it was also tasted great and was an excellent accompaniment to the lamb.

I'd only mentioned, in passing, to the greeter about it being the Picky Eater's birthday - and I mean just a mention, with NO emphasis whatsoever. I was shocked, amazed, and delighted when a large slice of Chocolate Ganache cake, topped with a lit candle, arrived at the table. Tastefully plated. Though it was too toney a place to sing Happy Birthday, the meal, service, and attention to detail sang a better song than I ever could.

On our ride home, we talked about the fact we've spent many times the price of our meal at places with Michelin stars, where the food was NOT better than this meal (at one, not even close). This meal was not an aberration, as you cannot fake this level of ambience, attention to detail, texture, flavor, and service. This is a hidden gem and I have mixed feelings about making too many people aware of it. NOTE: When we shared our feelings about the food with the waiter, he told us about their Sunday Champagne Brunch menu, complete with carving stations, fresh pastries, sushi stations, and imported caviar and smoked fish. Sadly, we tried to get reservations for last Sunday, but it was sold out. This inability to get a reservation at a hotel restaurant’s Sunday Brunch demonstrates there are people who know about this place, but they aren’t talking and sharing this information. We will keep trying . . . .

This restaurant’s food and service is so worth the drive. Michelin reviewers where are you? Somehow, you've missed a real gem.

Room Tip: Sit in the Garden Area
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harith R
DPI-Management, Guest Services Representative at The Deer Path Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2017

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful and comprehensive review of our English Room! We are very proud of our AAA Four Diamond staff, menu, and general ambiance, and it is so gratifying to hear that you agree with the award. Your attention to every detail of your dining experience, from arrival to departure, is greatly appreciated, and we are thrilled that we were able to enhance your special occasion. Please convey our best wishes to the Birthday Girl, once again!

We hope you will join us again very soon, perhaps for our Brunch!

Reviewed April 3, 2017

There are very few high end hotels in the North Shore area of Chicago and it may be because they could never compete with The Deerpath Inn. This facility is remarkably designed & decorated and the staff are some of the most helpful and friendly I've encountered at a hotel. We've stayed at many Four Seasons and Ritz resorts around the world and although nowhere near as large, I would put the service and amenities of The Deerpath equal to or above those properties. We recently stayed in the Cornwall Suite for my wife's birthday. You won't be disappointed if you choose this room as the space is perfectly decorated and the upgrades in the bathrooms are fantastic.

Room Tip: Choose the Cornwall Suite, you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
DPI-Management, Guest Services Representative at The Deer Path Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2017

First and foremost, thank you for choosing to celebrate your wife's birthday with us! We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and all of the amenities which we are proud to offer. We hope you will return soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2017 via mobile

The Deer Path Inn renovation is unrivaled in the hospitality industry. A gem that deteriorated over the years has been re-born as a world-class boutique hotel with 5-star service. The rooms are tasteful, comfortable and brought up to 2017 standards for the business traveler; however, this is wrapped in English character throughout the property including its restaurant and pub.
Don't miss this gem. It is the best the Area has to offer, by far!

Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
DPI-Management, Guest Services Representative at The Deer Path Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2017

What a perfect title to express the exact atmosphere that we strive to provide! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit, and all of our amenities (both Modern and Traditional!) Please join us again soon!

Reviewed March 31, 2017 via mobile

Beautiful classic English style hotel. Very charming, pretty, cozy and at the same time with modern facilities. They've taken care of every single detail.

Service it's outstanding and food very good.

The only thing that is missing is a coffee machine in the rooms, however they can deliver tea or coffee to your room anytime without charge.

I would say it's the most fancy hotel I've stayed in North Chicago and would love to come again.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business

Thank you for the lovely review! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and all of the amenities that we have to offer. We too hope you will be able to join us again soon!