“Sad Thai”
Review of Thai Sawasdee

Thai Sawasdee
Ranked #126 of 199 Restaurants in Lombard
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Stopped in for lunch with a coworker after hearing it talked up by others at my office and frankly couldn't see what the fuss was all about.

The lunch special seemed decent enough for the price. The soup was flavorful, but might be off putting for those who are sensitive to spice. Crab Rangoon was a solid offering with an excellent filling. But the main course of Pad See Eiw was, more or less, disappointing with an undersized portion even for a lunch special.

Wonderfully average without reinventing what anyone knows about Thai, it also fails to reinvigorate the tired, same old servings. I'm still not sure my coworkers and I were talking about the same restaurant.

1  Thank Andrew G

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I love Asian and Thai foods and went out of my way to eat here because Groupon advertised it. I wish I'd read EDelan's review before going so I'd at least have been prepared for the treatment I'd get.The deal required dine-in, and the place was empty the day I went in for lunch. It was hot and muggy inside, no A/C on a hot day, and I was sweating within 5 mins. NOT a comfortable way to eat a meal! The "waitress" brought a glass of lukewarm water, no ice, I later had to ask for some. The menu selections looked appetizing enough. I ordered Spring Rolls and Cucumber Salad as starters. For $6.00 I got two TINY rolls with miniscule sauces for dipping. Other Thai places offer twice as much for less money, often STUFFED with veggies & Tofu for you. The cucumber salad was good sized, but had so little dressing it's almost dry. When I asked if more "lime" vinegar dressing was available, I was told, "No."
I ordered Sesame Chicken as my entree. This had good flavor, but was also on the dry side sauce-wise, so I asked if I could PAY FOR a side of the sauce, and again was told "no." I had to ask for soy sauce. The "waitress"/cashier was unattentive, never asked how my meal was, nor whether I needed anything else. (I might have liked some tea?) Napkins???? One, thin, folded paper towel came with the utensils. All in all, the food was expensive for the portion size (without any kind of a coupon or deal it wouldn't have been worth it) and the dine-in service sucked. By the way, the "dining" room needs major remodeling--carpeting is old, threadbare, and dirty, ceilings are dusty and crumbling (imagine particles falling onto your food as you're eating). Maybe I'll give the food another chance on another day, but carry-out and eat in the comfort of my own home, Although if the kitchen is in the same disrepair as the dining area, I wouldn't trust their food prep areas either. Too bad, really, because Thai Food is sadly underrepresented in our area and their flavors were good. I'd call this place "Toddler Thai" because, like a toddler, their first and favorite word must be, "No".

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Love the spicy food, the flavors were amazing delicious, the beef noodle spicy soup and the pad Thai spicy were great combination, fulfilled with all flavors. Totally, will stop by when I am in town again!

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Wanted to be the first TA review and boy did I take one for the team. I've eaten in strip malls before and have had good luck in the past, but my luck ran out. Ordered Tom Kha soup and although very different (seasoning was different) as the coloring was different too it was quite good. I also ordered the curry and it was not so good as it had no flavor. The waitress got all bent out of shape when I told her. She stormed off to cash me out. I asked if I could get another bowl of soup instead and was told no.