New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Marion
chicago suburbs
“Bad first impression”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

Checked in late with wife and kids and ended up with a room directly above front desk. Its a non-smoking hotel and it was full for the night. Walked into room and it smelled strongly of cigarette smoke. Two empty pizza boxes behind the door. Thats a bad way to start a visit! Clearly they have an employee (or two) who doesn't care too much. Front desk apologized but couldn't do anything. It got better from there and I have to say that the swimming pool was fairly large and clean, the room was large and otherwise seemed clean, but that first taste was tough to swallow. The beds have very small pillows and my wife didn't like them.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank matrepok

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

I stayed at this property many times in the past, but not for a few years. Since my last visit, they have had a total re-do of the interior - new carpet, paint throughout, new bedding. Altogether great job and very well appointed. I had been staying at the Hampton in Marion but that one seems a bit tired by comparison.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Labrachow
Cary, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2011

Hotel was clean, nice size rooms and close to highway 57. I noted some complaints on TripAdvisor about the breakfast and the staff said they had changed their breakfast selection a few months earlier - overall, we found the breakfast fine (3 choices of cereal, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, pastries, toast, oatmeal, juice, etc). Free internet in the room, the pool was nice and clean. We stayed for 2 nights. One day the hotel internet was down for about 1 hr and the check-in staff seemed a bit confused and overwhelmed with people trying to check-in and handling calls from guests. I can imagine some complaints, but it really didn't impact our stay.
The sleeper sofa in our room was not very comfortable (not recommended for an adult). The hotel staff was helpful. Hotel gym was small, had a decent cross trainer, halfway decent treadmill and a multi-station weight machine.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank alj1982
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

I read the reviews and must say I was skeptical. We arrived to find a very clean, well appointed room. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was very clean, and the property was well maintained. Breakfast was served daily and offered a simple variety, but the eggs and coffee were hot and we were pleased. The pool area was clean as well. It was worth the $.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2010

Was looking forward to our night away. Thought it was gonna be great as soon as we walked in. Looked nice and clean and the lady at the front desk was super nice. When we turned the water on in the whirlpool we had to run it for about 10 minutes before the water got clear. Yuck! Tossed and turned all night between the uncomfortable bed and the people in the room next to us having the headboard banging up against the wall numerous times. They did have a descent breakfast but I don't think it was the best for the price we paid.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank asilks_2005
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2009

I was nearly "stranded" as I was so tired I could not drive any longer. Stopped in Marion, looked around the main drag and called several properties. Prices were similar (from Motel 6 @$45 - to HI at about 115). I chose this one for the offered AARP rate. I drove up to the sunny yellow building and was greeted by a smiling "Jen" at the desk who took great care of me. put me in the right right room, and told me where to find dinner. The entire staff smiled all the time. the room was massive (compred to $$$$ Chicago hotels). the separate writing area and free internet made it stellar. It was clean. the bathroom with jacuzzi, spotless with all the little travel amenities. coffee maker, microwave, huge dresser and closet, ironing board and iron.. wish I could have stayed longer.

I used the fitness center and pool which was warm and relaxing.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank TheWryter
Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

Just stayed here for a full week for business and I must say not very impressed at all, especially for the price. They are nice size rooms with a very dated, small whirlpool and basically a missing wall in the bathroom. There is a big hole in the bathroom on one side of the tub that is covered only with a curtain, so if sharing the room this might cause problems because there is no real true privacy in the bathroom. Room was not very clean at all- hair all over the tub, carpet was disgusting, recliners/sofas very dated and full of stains and dirt. The decor is another whole story it's a mix of new and modern with very old and dated. It doesn't mesh well at all- there are nice granite countertops in the bathroom with wallpaper from the 1980's. I had odd paneling stuck places throughout the room. Two of my coworkers had pink stains all over their walls, saying it looked like the Pink Panther had a fun time in there! I had the chance to eat breakfast just one of the mornings and it was terrible. There were no eggs only half pieces of bacon, no muffins, no bread for toast, no fruit so I settled for a bowl of cereal. I went to get some apple juice and what do you know that was out as well. We originally were only going to stay here for four nights but had to extend our stay for business reasons and were not told that the rate went up. It was not until we got our bill that we noticed one night it went up twenty dollars and rest went up 10 dollars per night. Also used the sundeck a couple of times--lawn chairs are old and full of rust, not a well-kept area at all. Altogether, I would not stay here again nor would I recommend this hotel to a friend. They advertised everywhere that they won the Gold Award for Choice Hotels..I'd like to know how because there was no evidence at all. Very disappointing stay.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business