“Glad we tried it again !”

Allgauer's on the Riverfront
Reserve with OpenTable
Allgauer's on the Riverfront is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 127 Restaurants in Northbrook
Price range: US$9 - US$50
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Winkleman
Reviewed November 12, 2016

We had not been to Allgauers in 15 years. Decided to have dinner here on Friday night with our 3 adult children and their wives/husband. They offer on Fridays a seafood/Prime Rib buffet. Not a big fan of buffets I reluctantly made the reservation and hoped for the best. The food was delicious, fresh and an amazing variety. Oysters on the Half Shell, Rockefeller, Shrimp, cold and steamed hot Crab legs, scallop salad was just wonderful. Desserts were fantastic. The crab legs were high quallity - not lthe ones you usually find on a lesser buffet - these had alot of meat. The Prime Rib was surprisingly good also. The attendants t the buffet were very accomodating also. The reason that I didn't give them 5 stars was because of the service. The hostess was almost hostile and the waiter disappeared.....for a very long time. My son joked that it was like he didn't want to get the check paid. He dropped off the bill and vanished for over 45 minutes. He also never cleared our plates...We were always eating on our new plates while we had dishes stacked everywhere. The charge of $46. per person seemed reasonable considering the lovely items offered.

Reviewed October 10, 2016

Our waiter was professional but aloof, the room was echoing and dim and since almost empty on a Thursday night, on the depressing side of quiet. The prices were high but the food not worth the money; the menu promised creativity while the food was run-of-the-mill. For guests staying at the hotel, the frozen meals behind reception are just as tasty and much cheaper, just heat in the microwave and save some $$$. Three stars are for quick service and cold beer, not for the food.

Reviewed September 27, 2016 via mobile

I am staying in the Hilton, and I have went to the bar 3 nights because convenience. The service is horrendous, their organization is horrid, and their shear lack of knowledge of a bar is quite apparent. Not a great experience, no plans on going back.

Reviewed August 22, 2016

But you probably won't look forward to it. I got a ribeye (medium rare) and baked potato. It would have been an OKAY steak if I'd been at Golden Corral. For $42 (the special says 19.99 but that's for the chicken) it was not good at all. Service was okay - couldn't manage to get a beer list to save my life. Question - "Whats on draft?" Answer - "Dogfish". Question - "which one" Answer - "I don't know, I'll check. Yes, its Dogfish". WFT? Seriously, I should know by now not to eat where I sleep. But they advertised Steam Monday and a beer garden. A big basket of NO to both.

Food was not great. Place was completely empty. I think I know why.

Reviewed August 14, 2016

I took my wife there for a romantic dinner as we first visited Allgauers when we were newlyweds. It was not the same fine dinning we remembered. There were eight people seated in the dinning room; including a family of six. My steak was not the prime rare beef it should have been. Choice maybe and the chef must have been afraid to serve it rare. The Bananas Foster was actually plantains foster; disappointing!