“Charged Different Prices For The Same Drink Depending Upon Who The Bartender Was”
Review of Grotto - CLOSED

Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 22nd St. Butterfield Rd. & Meyers Road
Oak Brook, Illinois
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Be careful when you go to the bar! I ordered a drink on the rocks (what
they refer to as a "well" drink). The first bartender charged me $8 (a very
reasonable price). A half hour latter, a different bartender charged me
$11.75, for the same drink. A couple of guys came up next to me and
ordered a bottle of beer and a glass of cab, and only paid $11.75 for the
two drinks (the bartender seemed to know these guys). When I ordered
a third drink (exactly the same as the other two drinks), I was charged
$12.00. The thing is, if you're trying to establish yourself as an upscale
restaurant/bar, you don't do this kind of thing.

Visited July 2011
3 Thank Guest36468

Downers Grove, IL
“Good Atmosphere - Food way overpriced”
Reviewed 17 October 2010

My husband and I went to Grotto for an anniversary dinner. The appetizers of Bruschetta and Crab Cakes were outstanding. I ordered a 9oz. Filet with peppercorn (which was extra of course). The filet was well below average. I think my husband has cooked a better filet on the grill. My husband ordered Italian style pork chops which he thought were just okay. I also ordered the baked potato which was not even hot when it arrived at the table. We probably will not be visiting again. The food was just too mediocre for the price.

Lombard,IL
“"Just" average”
Reviewed 17 July 2010

We dined at the Grotto after seeing several advertisements and offers in the newspaper. We didn't have any personal reviews from other diners, but we tried it anyway. Two in our group had halibut which was good, however of the other two, one had Osso Buco that was really fatty with lots of gristle and the last diner had "forgettable" pork chops. We waited an extremely long time for our food on an evening when the place wasn't even 1/3 full. The wait was unacceptable, especially when the food was so marginal. Our entrees were served alone on the plate, not garnished, no vegetables and no salad or soup offered as part of the meals. Meals are pricey when drinks and salad or vegetables are added ala carte, we likely will not return to this restaurant.

Chula Vista, California
“Chicken Vesuvio was delectable!”
Reviewed 19 June 2010

I was in Oak Brook for a training course and stopped in for a late dinner, about 9 p.m. I was over hungry. Selected the Chicken Vesuvio since I was watching my calories and noted it was the signature dish. The waiter was careful to tell me it would taken 25 minutes. I decided that I was willing to be patient. The glass of Santa Margherita wine and bread helped stave off the growling in my stomach. The chicken vesuvio was absolutely delicious. Flavorful and light. I ate half (wanted to eat the whole thing) Had the rest for breakfast!. Now I'm on a search for the recipe to make it for my next dinner party!! Trish, San Diego, CA

Tomball, Texas
“Great atmosphere, poor service, average food”
Reviewed 19 February 2010

I have quite mixed feelings about this restaurant. On entering the restaurant we were pleasantly met and taken to our table straight away. Our server was not the best, she seems to be very blunt and too the point, didn’t come across as being friendly at all. Drink refills were very slow, at one point she took my glass away for a refill, for ½ my meal no refill had arrived and I had to stop her to remind her of the refill. The food was well presented but not the best I have eaten. The Vodka tomato sauce was very bland, nothing like the taste I have eaten at home and other local restaurants. Our server never even asked if we wanted dessert, so guess what? We never bothered to try one!!! I loved the restaurant’s atmosphere and the décor, which leaves me in a bit of a quandary with the food and service not been all that great, would I go back. Yes I think I will give it another try, although not in any hurry to eat there again next week!!!