“Best steak ever!!!!”

Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Description: Established in 1922, Jack Gibbons Gardens is a full-service casual dining restaurant that offers a range of food items. It serves shrimp, oysters, bruschetta, stuffed mushrooms and crab legs. The restaurant s menu features lobster, scallions, scallops, clams, mussels, tilapia filet and baby back ribs. Jack Gibbons Gardens offers chopped sirloin, filet mignon, pork chops, tenderloins, jack cheese and roast duck. Additionally, the restaurant offers grilled chicken breast and roast turkey with stuffed jalapenos, saut ed onions and lettuce. It serves a variety of desserts, such as cheesecakes, brownies, carrot cakes, pies and sundaes. Jack Gibbons Gardens wine list includes meritage, pinot noir, chardonnay, shiraz, zinfandel, sauvignon blanc, pinot grigio, Piesporter, merlot and cabernet sauvignon. It is located in Oak Forest, Ill., and offers valet parking services.
Reviewed February 8, 2016

This is a hidden gem in the south suburbs. When you walk in you feel transported back in time to old fashioned supper clubs. Very cozy and intimate. The wait staff are fantastic! And the food...unbelievably great! The filet mignon I had was the best I had ever had the pleasure of tasting. Each one in our party was very pleased and satisfied. The rest of the meal was well prepared and tasty as well. A wonderful dining experience!! Can't wait till we go back.

Date of visit: September 2015

Reviewed January 11, 2016

A last minute, whirlwind trip to Chicago brought me and my friend to Jack Gibbons Garden. It was, hands down, the best dining experience I have ever had. It was pricey but well worth it. I was extremely impressed with April. She was attentive to all of our wants and needs. The entire experience was awesome

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed January 10, 2016

We haven't been to this restaurant in quite some time. Some things have changed, now you get hot bread in a bread basket. Years ago you got bread with bread sticks and crackers wrapped in cellophane. Salad is much better, too. A couple of things haven't changed...the atmosphere and the meat. When I was there I thought it would be nice if they updated it but as I sat longer, I thought, this atmosphere is part of what the original steak houses used to be all about...and I got to appreciate the atmosphere. And most of all, the beef. It was was in the past and is now...top quality! There is no place in the Chicagoland area that can do prime rib like Jack Gibbons Gardens. I have been to all those big name steak places downtown and in the burbs and none can even come close to Jack Gibbons. Thank you for making the best prime rib ever with the best au jus!! So I was really hungry and so ordered the King Cut...it was so big it was embarrassing! Have another meal for home. The shrimp cocktail was delicious as well. Good size shrimp, cooked and chilled perfectly! My husband had a rib eye...he said it was delicious. We were way too full for dessert...maybe next time.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed January 4, 2016

This is a review I REALLY DID NOT WANT TO WRITE. I’ll explain later.
It is also our second review of this venue, the first of which was written in April of 2014 and in which we reviewed Gibbons very favorably. Subsequent to that review (until now) we increased our Gibbons visits to at least once a month – sometimes bi-weekly.
Well, the following is what happened during our LAST dining experience, on a Sunday, at Gibbons:
As in many restaurants, there is a table in the dining room which is employed by the staff to do “roll ups” (rolling up silverware in napkins for place settings) and for other support services. During dining we noticed a young lady bus person (the bus people wear white shirts) standing immediately in front of that table, and in the midst of other table, remove whatever was securing her very long brown hair. She subsequently proceeded to “fiddle” with her hair with both hands and then “flip” all that hair forward while bending forward toward the table, hair hanging down in front of her, inches from the table. More hair fiddling was followed by a head flip backward to flip all the hair back, towards other tables in the area. Then the whole procedure was repeated! YUK!
The young lady then sat down and proceeded to continue doing whatever she had been doing (did you notice there was no hand washing?) Double YUK!
When all this occurred, we were almost done with our dinners and, needless to say, neither of us was very interested in eating much more anyway. Unlike past visits, we did NOT request “doggie bags”!
Upon our departure, we secured the name of the owner/manager so I could inform him or her of what was happening and get it corrected, in lieu of writing a review which could affect the business of a restaurant we liked. We were given the name of David Lynch (spelling?), who I contacted on the following Tuesday.
Well, the reason I’ve decided to write a review after all is that this individual COULD NOT HAVE CARED LESS ABOUT THIS OCCURRENCE! For starters, Mr. Lynch interrupted me about half way thru my explanation with a very sarcastic “ya ya ya, I get the picture”, a direct quote. Translation: “Why are you bothering me with something stupid?”
His next smooth customer service sentiment was roughly “ I can’t tell who that person was”. While I am not aware of the personnel details of this establishment, one might reasonably assume that the number of young, female bus people with long brown hair working a particular shift on an identified Sunday does NOT NUMBER IN THE THOUSANDS, Mr. Lynch! Subsequently I politely terminated the conversation as it became obvious that any further conversation would be fruitless. THE GUY JUST DIDN’T GET IT!
ALL I wanted was something like “I’m sorry that happened. I’ll talk to that person and make sure it doesn’t happen again”
Hygiene issues are of paramount importance in restaurants! Can’t help wondering about kitchen hygiene rules enforcement……………………?
Truly unfortunate because we did like this place even though it was well out of our way.
your experiences, you're helping travelers make better choices and plan their dream trips. Thank you!

Date of visit: December 2015
7  Thank MandCTravelers
Reviewed December 14, 2015

The steaks and chops at Jack Gibbons are 2nd to none. I would never waste my time going downtown, paying for parking and going to any other steak house ever. The wine and dessert is great also.
Menu items are Al a Carte.
It may be a little dated but let that be no reflection on the quality and taste of the food.
You will not be disappointed.

Date of visit: September 2015