“Amazing food”
Review of Abreo Restaurant

Abreo Restaurant
Ranked #27 of 361 Restaurants in Rockford
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Wine Bar
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Abreo Restaurant (formerly Brio Restaurant), among other aesthetic updates, has recently undergone a name change. While we have a different look, our character, style, and vision remain the same! We are dedicated to constantly creating and refining our menus to bring you an exceptional dining experience.
Reviewed 18 March 2012

My husband and I went for his birthday and loved it. The portions are small and we were recommended by our waiter to order 3 courses each, or 6 total. We ended up ordering 4 courses total, plus two desserts. Our bill was over $100 after the tip, a beer, and juice, but it was definitely worth it for a special night out. We'd go again for another special occasion. We loved the scallops and lemon chicken mushroom crepe. Everything we ate was good, although we did think it was over the top that the beer was $6 and delivered in a can with a glass on the side. Definitely should be on tap for that price. The wait staff was attentive but not overbearing. Enjoyable experience all around!

2  Thank Owen720

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Paul - The Chef, is an artist. In his words, and I quote "I get inspiration for my creations in my dreams. I do not hesitate to go out of the norm". This is a place where you will be exposed to the unique multiple courses dinner of several small portions.. If you are a first time visitor - go for their Chef's platter.. I was simply mesmerized. Chris - his dad and the floor manager is an amazing human being and every one is very friendly and dedicated. It was like going to a good Opera or Symphony Orchestra performance.

Reviewed 16 March 2012

For a special treat (but be prepared for the cost) ask for the chefs choice for the table. This is a strange recommendation, but be sure to visit the bathroom for a unique perspective on decorating (check out the stalls too) and then compare notes with someone of the opposite sex. I think you could analyze the differences and come up with some universal truths!

1  Thank Dan C
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Went to this restaurant once when it was called Brio about 1 year ago, and now have just gone again; after the name changed. Our first experience seemed a bit unpolished, and our experience greatly suffered from an uninformed waiter and some rough edges on the food, gave it 3 stars from it. Since then, we have still been getting recommendations to go back and give it another chance, and finally got around to going back.

----------
Excellently equipped (nice towels) and clean bathrooms, a bit of a Beetlejuice vibe with melting mirrors and such, but it makes for a very fun trip to the bathroom. Tables had excellent quality padding and linens, chairs were comfortable. Our waiter, Michael, was extremely well informed about the menu and all of its offerings, and really filled out the experience of eating here. Water refills and bread were taken care of very well, and the table was cleared properly between courses. Our bill came quickly once we finished dessert and requested it, and made for a clean escape as the restaurant filled up for a Saturday night. We sat in the main area with the bar, so things got loud after about 7PM, so for quiet dining, keep your reservations early.

Beverages
---------------
Good selection of wines and cocktails, limited to bottled beer though. We got 2 cocktails, one which was a take on a Mojito, but made with basil instead of mint, and vodka instead of rum, and another with peach bitters, peach brandy, ste. germain and rum. Both were very delicious, and packed a punch as we drank them. Also got a Corona, and a glass of Port. Drinks will generally run you from $5 (beer), to $10 for cocktails, and the cost varies more for wines; I recommend the cocktails though. House water was good and kept us hydrated.

--------
Bread was of good quality and had some whole grain flavor, with a sourdough texture that stretches and indicates a high quality bread, homemade. Butter had a really good creamy flavor, more than you'd get at home. They brought out an Amuse Bouche! Really classy touch that showed the chef's competancy in blending flavors and textures before we ordered our food. The way this menu works, you can order 3 courses from the menu, each will run you from $8-$15, depending on how rare and exclusive the ingredients are. We were perfectly satiated at the end of the meal, and actually had room for dessert. As an appetizer, I got a Tuna dish which was seared and placed onto a cucumber salad, and had a Sriracha Sauce on the side; top notch. For a second course, I got the Duck Liver Mousse, which had a wine jelly over it which gave a nice appearance. I felt that this dish was perfect for sharing, but a bit too large and polarizing for one person; the condiments really made it a lot more interesting by cutting through the richness of the mousse with salty and sour flavors. As a main course, I got a Thai Curry on Barramundi Fish (nice white flesh with meaty texture). This dish showcased the chef's ability to blend flavors well, as it matched with the ginger rice and fish very well; I did notice that when the smell of the lime from the Corona got into the air around the dish, it really made it shine with freshness. I got the Chambord Crepes for dessert, which were filled with pastry cream and raspberries; really outstanding crepes, and went wonderfully with the port. My wife got the Vanilla Creme Brulee, and it was a classic French creme brulee, with no shortcuts taken.

Prices
---------
After the meal, I felt stunned to see that even with 2 drinks each, and a 4 course meal; our bill had only reached $120. I felt that I got an excellent value, and will definitely make this my restaurant of choice when going out for a treat. It compares well to Josef's across town, but has a far more creative and flavorful menu, with more reasonable portions that won't leave you feeling bloated afterwards, and keep the overall good value I felt upon receiving my bill.

Overall
----------
Best restaurant in the area, compares well to a very good restaurant in Chicago or New York, but is close to home for me. Value was far better than I expected, and really gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that Rockford would have such an excellent establishment that is really hip with the times and trends of food and drink.

2  Thank TWindelborn
Reviewed 26 January 2012

The food was excellent...wonderful presentation. Good service. Good wine. Fun atmosphere.

1  Thank familyof5RFD