“First time, great experience”
Review of Woo Lae Oak

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Woo Lae Oak
Price range: US$31 - US$40
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This restaurant was my first experience in Korean food. Pretty different from all the other Asian food styles that I know and most of them like very much. However, I liked it a lot and would rank it straight under my top-5 favorite asian cuisines. As a newbie I felt a bit lost with the menu, so my friend ordered mixed BBQ which was really great. Tasty meet, grilled at our table, and lots of fresh and crispy vegetables, spicy sauces. For me, this is definitely a place to return!

2  Thank Katerle

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We make it here a few times a year to eat. We love the Korean BBQ and grilling right at the table. The service has always been great, some servers are much more attentive than others but I've never had a reason to complain. I can't speak for much of the menu as the only thing we go for is the bulgogi and kalbi, those are our favorites. The decor is very warm and it is a great place to have a relaxing dinner. It is a bit of a drive for us to get there, about 50mins with no traffic issues, but it is always worth the drive!

3  Thank wnstn3
Reviewed 29 November 2012

I was taken to this restaurant by my business colleagues from Seoul. If a Korean is recommending a Korean restaurant in the USA, then it must be good. They didn't disappoint! Bulgogi was very tasty. Kimchi was great. We also got to try the “cold soup”. I was told this was a traditional N. Korean dish. Staff was very attentive (especially with the Soju!). Although it is about 30 miles from Chicago, it is well worth the drive.

1  Thank Mark L
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Upon entering I took in the very nice inviting atmosphere, and then quickly looked around to notice that every patron was either Korean, or Korean American. I knew then, that I would at the very least be eating authentic Korean food.
Though neither of my waitresses had a strong command of the English language, they were extremely helpful, and helped me every step of the way from ordering, to preparing my dish on the in table barbecue. All in all the service was excellent.
I ordered boneless beef short ribs with too many to count Korean "side dishes" and rice. It was all very flavorful, it was all delicious and well worth the $22.99 before tax that I paid for my meal. I drank water and tea, and was not charged for the tea.
If you like Korean food, or feeling adventurous and want to try something new, Woo Lae Oak is for you. Recommend!

1  Thank gkfio
Reviewed 15 January 2012

My boyfriend and I love Asian cuisine and we've been on a hunt for a good Korean BBQ for a while. While some Korean restaurants lack in service (some servers in restaurants speak no English so you are on your own, which can be a fun discovery process if you are adventurous enough) some places offer only a couple side dishes with your meal and none (that we found) had fried anchovies. The main requirement for us was to find a restaurant that serves little dried anchovies as a side dish. Finally we found a perfect Korean BBQ restaurant! The restaurant itself is very big and spacious with good ventilation and great décor. The service is awesome! Everyone is very attentive and will explain which sauce goes with which dish and will give you suggestions if you are not familiar with Korean food. We had their Bulgogi (marinated ribeye) & Chadolbaegi (thin slices of brisket) and for an appetizer we had Mul-Naengmyon (sliced beef, Korean pear, cucumber, radish and cabbage with buckwheat noodles in cold broth). The noodles were outstanding – the broth is very light and refreshing, it could be a great dish for summer. Bulogi is always good – can’t go wrong with that and the brisket was wonderful. The side dishes and sauces were delicious, and replenished if needed more. The servers were very nice and had answers to all of our questions (the difference between 3 kinds of kim chi, how to prepare the anchovies, what is the “green been jelly”…etc.) We left perfectly sated and without the usual feeling of “being over stuffed” after eating a lot of food. Prices are reasonable-$30 per person for technically 2 dinners – noodle dish is a dinner entree. At the door the (super friendly and cute) hostess bid us a traditional Korean farewell with a bow! We definitely will be back!

1  Thank Anastasia08