“Good Soup but too much”

Lalo's Mexican Reataurant
Ranked #112 of 359 Restaurants in Schaumburg
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I visited this restaurant for dinner on a weekday. And it is a standalone building on Roselle with a large parking lot. I walked inside and found its interior pleasing. The restaurant has lot of space but on a weekday in this neighborhood there was only a few tables. We ordered two entrees, one is the Cancun skillet and the other soup marina. The waiter gave us some free chicken soups but it was a little too salty for my taste.

The skillet came with shrimps, grilled octopus, vegetables and some rice; the seafood was prepared perfect for our liking. About the soup marina, the menu showed a picture with a shallow bowl full with seafood inside. But the actual dish came with a deeper bowl with much more soap than expected. It was not the taste that gave me an issue. The bowl was bigger so I needed to fish out lot of stuffs inside the bowl for my meal. Although the soap was tasty, it did become too much of a good thing at the end. Few people could accustom to drinking so much soap for dinner, so I would not recommend it unless you can share the soap with someone. Since I had chicken soap before that, the liquid really filled me up. My expectation of this Soap Marina should resemble more like a Fishman's stew from Mexico; that did not turn out to be the case. So I did not enjoy my dinner as much as I could. On hindsight, I should have ordered another seafood dish like the Cancun Skillet with no soap.

The other issue has to do with their table settings, the napkins was too thin for dinner especially if you happen to order seafood. You can grasp more napkins but I wonder why some thicker cloth-like paper napkins were not used.

This restaurant offers 7-day lunch buffet in case you want to eat more during lunch time.

1  Thank WheelingTraveler

Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

Friendly staff, food was good tasting and price was adequate for the amount of food you ordered. I.would highly recommend if in area.

Reviewed February 1, 2018

Myself and three friends went to a late dinner at Lalo's in Schaumburg last weekend. I am still upset about the experience. To begin, the server was clearly racist, as we were treated completely different than the group of Hispanics that was seated next to us. We had to repeatedly ask him for refills on drinks and our food took over 45 minutes to come out. When our order arrived, one of the meals was incorrect. The waiter rudely snatched the dinner off of the table, said something under his breath and went into the kitchen. At this point, my friend was scared to even eat the next plate that came out 15 minutes later. We continued on with our dinner, having to ask for napkins, more drinks, salsas ect...ect.... Horrible service.
We split our bill into 2 separate checks, thinking our friend that received the wrong dinner then had to wait an additional 15 minutes for her correct order would not be charged for her dinner. WRONG!!! When I asked for a manager, the waiter was extremely rude stating " Oh my God, you people always have something to complain about". EXCUSE ME? You people? Now I'm livid.
The joke of a manager comes to our table and we explained to him that the dinner we ordered was wrong, we had to wait an additional 15 minutes for the correct food to come out and we were already done eating by the time our friends food came. His response was "I have no way to prove you had to wait 15 minutes for your food". Again, EXCUSE ME? The first order was wrong, he should have taken the dinner off of the bill. Our bill was well over $150.00! I explained to him that the server also made a very unprofessional, racist remark when we asked to speak to a manager. The manager told me again that this is not something that I could prove.
WHAT A JOKE!!! I literally thought we were being punked. I encourage everyone to go to the Lalos on Harlem instead of this joke of a restaurant. They are RACIST, unprofessional, extremely rude/slow service and the manager must have received his customer service training off of the side of a cereal box. The funny part is, my boss sent me here to see if this is where he should host our yearly vendor dinner. NO WAY!!! Absolutely NOT! This restaurant should be closed. I asked the manager for the corporate phone number, which he refused to give me. He then acted like he didn't understand English after I said that I would be contacting the owner of the restaurant to tell him about our experience that night. He told me to do whatever I wanted. I will never go here again. I would never refer anyone to this place. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE...especially if you are not Hispanic. They don't like the rest of us there.

Reviewed October 11, 2017

Fun, lively evening with family. It was very busy but we had good service and our meals were yummy. We had a terrific Margarita!! Maybe that is why the food tasted so good!! Our waiter was very informative and served us well.

Reviewed September 18, 2017

Lalo's has really good Mexican. I really enjoy their fajitas and my husband likes their enchiladas. All of their meals come with complimentary chicken noodle soup.