“Terrible Internet Speed and Smell of Smoke”

DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Skokie
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I travel a lot and have stayed at many hotels. I am usually very happy with the Hilton line of hotels, but I found myself irritated during this stay. The hotel as a whole looks okay. Its an old building which comes with its territory. When I got to the room it was clean, but old. It has a depressing feel to it upon walking in. Maybe i'm just used to staying at newer hotels. Then I tried the internet and I was not even able to load a CNN video without it stopping every 4-5 seconds to load. Absolutely annoying. I left the room in the morning and returned in the late afternoon, upon getting out of the elevators, the hallway smelled of smoke. When I walked into the room, it also smelled of smoke and there was a cigarette butt in the toilet. I am allergic to smoke, as it nauseates me and i'm not able to breathe properly. I expected this hotel to be a lot more professional and attentive to its tenants. However it failed to meet even my basic standards of care.

Pros: The location, and the view from the 8th floor were decent for what I needed. However the windows are a bit scary as they dont feel so safe and stable. If I had kids I would have asked to stay on the 1st floor.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

I am so sorry to hear about your displeasure with our hotel on your recent trip to Skokie. I can assure you that we take all concerns from our guests seriously and work to improve these items. We are scheduled for a very large bandwidth upgrade in the next month, which will greatly improve the speed of our Wi-Fi, I do hope that you will return as I'm confident you will see a difference. Per Hilton standards, we do have some smoking rooms in the hotel. Should you stay with us again (and we genuinely hope you will) we would be more than happy to accommodate you with a room in our east wing, a whole building away from the smoking floor.

Again, I want to say how sorry and embarrassed I am that we did not perform what you accurately describe as basic standards of care. I can assure you that the items you listed will be addressed and this is not our usual standard of service. I would love to have you return so we can show you what hospitality at the Doubletree Chicago North Shore really means.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,178)

Reviewed 17 February 2012

As stated in my title, some good, some areas for improvement. I have stayed here before, a few times, but never reviewed. The location for my needs was ideal for this trip.
Check-in was easy. Hilton elite, so I was offered a drink coupon for the bar, a coupon for 2 drinks (water or coffee), and a breakfast buffet coupon. I was given a room on the 9th floor.
The room itself was ok. Mattress was a little springy. Flat panel TV's with HD programmed in, was nice. The bathroom was smallish, in fact pretty tiny. Not a lot of counter space.
The bar/restaurant was nice, but I noticed a few tiny gnats flying around both for dinner and breakfast time. That aside, food and service was very good.
The 2 issues I had were
1) Wifi signal was all over the place. It would work, then I'd get booted off the modem/router. I don't think it was signal strength, but bad overall signal or not enough bandwidth. I confirmed with multiple devices I had, too, same result.
2) No AC plugs near the work desk and very few outlets in general. As someone who brings my devices, I need places to charge them.
The Wifi issue was really bad, so unless that improves, I'm probably look for other options - despite the many positive reasons to stay here.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to honestly review our hotel. I am so glad you enjoyed the perks we offer our HHonor's VIPs as well as the upgraded amenities in our rooms. I'm happy to report we are about to undergo a huge upgrade to our internet bandwidth, and the weak Wi-Fi signal you experienced will soon no longer affect any of our guests. We would also be glad to add a comment to your guest profile and have a power strip placed in your room prior to arrival whenever you stay with us. Since I am unable to contact you through this management response, I ask you to contact the hotel directly so that we can make this happen. We are more than happy to offer anything we can for our guests to make their stay more comfortable and appreciate you letting us know what we can do to earn your continued business.

Reviewed 30 January 2012

Great Hotel, great front desk staff. room was modern and clean. fitness center was in good condition and clean. hotel is across the street from huge mall with great shopping and restaurants.
would stay there every time we go to chicagoland. access to north outlet parks is excellent as well.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Thank you for your kind comments! We always appreciate hearing what we've done well and definitely take pride in our excellent service, amenities and care for our hotel. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the area and thank you again for taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 31 December 2011

This was a very nice hotel. It is beautiful, comfortable and affordable. Loved it being away from the city, with free parking and cookies. The room was very nice, the bathroom a little small, but I can live with it. Had a problem with toilet overflow, but was quickly relocated to the room next door with no problem. Good location, lots of stuff nearby and avoiding the city crowd (traffic was hairy at rush hour but easy to navigate at other times.)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank clkgrace

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, we know that your time is valuable and appreciate your kind words. Free parking and Doubletree cookies are some of our most popular "perks." I'm glad we were able recover from the small issue with your first room so quickly and you were able enjoy your stay. We agree, it's nice to be in the North Shore and away from the hustle and bustle but still have so many things at your fingertips. We look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to the area.

Reviewed 26 December 2011

Ths stay was great except the elevators took forever.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Doubletree Chicago North Shore. New elevators are in our future and we appreciate your understanding until this project can be completed. We share our guests’ anticipation for this upgrade to our property. We look forward to serving you in the future next time you visit the area.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

The hotel for us was a better than expected experience. It has a vantage location, right next to the famed Old Orchard Shopping Centre and scores of other stores. The hotel is right next to the Northshore Convention Centre. The restaurant is good. For its price, the gym though small is functionally very good. The half in and half out swimming pool is also very inviting. The hotel is a pleasant and friendly expereince.

Room Tip: All rooms are good and have a good view.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SKCSC

Exceeding expectations is our goal, and I’m so glad we met that goal on your recent stay! Our indoor/outdoor pool is a unique amenity that many of our guests enjoy as well as our recently upgraded fitness center. We are fortunate to have Old Orchard Mall across the street to allow our guests all the shopping and dining options they could ever want. We are so glad you enjoyed everything and genuinely look forward to seeing you on your next visit to the North Shore.

Reviewed 9 December 2011

I've stayed in this hotel for business several times, the most recent the week of December 5th. The rooms are large and comfortable, bed is great, but the bathroom is very small -- cannot get two people in at once. The food at the breakfast buffet is very good but a limited selection; this same restaurant serves really good dinners though. The exercise room has pretty much everything you need -- 3 treadmills, 2 elipticals, and a recumbant bike, along with free weights, a weight machine, medicine balls, BOSU, and exercise mats. Location is great too -- close the the freeway and right across the street from a mall.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
DoubletreeHalley, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

We are so glad to have you as a frequent guest. Your candid feedback is important to our continued success. We recently added some new items to our breakfast buffet, which also includes eggs made to order, that I am confident you will enjoy on your next visit. Thank you again for taking the time to review us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Skokie
1.2 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Chicago North Shore/Skokie
4.8 km away
Holiday Inn Chicago North Shore (Skokie)
1.5 km away
Residence Inn Chicago Wilmette
1.2 km away
Extended Stay America - Chicago - Skokie
5.4 km away
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
5 km away
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore? Share your experiences!