“Planning a trip back next year” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Landers House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Utica
Landers House
Ranked #1 of 1 Utica B&B and Inns
Peoria, Illinois
“Planning a trip back next year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2010

The Landers House was a great experience. The service was outstanding, allowing me to check in late and having the room set up very nicely for me and my fiance. We stayed in La Noche, it was very romantic and she loved it which is what really matters. Everything was clean and my favorite part was the private firepit outfront of our patio. We brought s'more stuff and had two beautiful nights under the stars, just me and her. I could not asked for a better weekend. The room was everything I had hoped for, a really cool atmosphere and a great experience. It's in a great location, Utica is a small town with lots to do, winery's restaurants, 5 minutes from starved rock. It is not fancy or brand new, but it is simple and a beautiful getaway. Thank you to the people of Landers that made our stay so enjoyable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Engaged910

Families
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Minooka
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2010

My husband and I decided on a quick overnight get away...I found Landers House and we made a reservation, arriving that afternoon. Upon arrival...we almost turned around and left...the front yard landscape looked more like they were preparing for Fright Night...but being brave I said, well maybe it's better inside. We were taken to our room, Jungle Room theme and noticed the stained carpet and dusty stairway. Then the room seemed ok, huge tub, electric fire place...romantic enough. Then as we walked through the house I saw the cob webs, the dust, and just superifically cleaned, but looked alittle closer and you'll see very poor housekeeping. I wouldn't eat there if they did serve breakfast...slept well, but there was not a mattress pad, but a new looking mattress...I woke with bed bugs bites on my ankles...so I guess these reviews are pretty close to the truth...next time I'll plan ahead and stay at the Starved Rock Lodge.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cjwilson00
LandersHouse, Manager at Landers House, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Sorry for the delay in response. Landers House is currently under NEW management and employs all new staff members. In response to this review, all areas of concern have been addressed. Our new management team continues to strive to better serve our guests and their needs. Please contact our team @ landershouse@comcast.net or call 1-815-667-5170 to further discuss this matter.

Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2010

I should've know something was wrong when they asked me to pay for the lodging the minute I walked through the door. The main house was ok looking, but when we were walked over to our 'suite' next door, I realized the website had decieved me. The second I walked into the house I was slapped in the face by the smell of mold and mildew. Immediately I was thinking this is not happening! Our 'suite' was clean and orderly, but the bathroom appeared to be in the middle of being renovated and the tub/shower was horrible. One of the knobs was broken and the curtain didn't wrap all the way around, allowing water to spray and splatter all over the place. The lawn furniture was covered in bird crap as well. The location was great, but the only time we saw the employees of the B&B was at the bar or when they were trying to get us to buy tickets to their "Branson style" show down the street, which in my opinion should've been free, after the financial robbery for the room. When I complained to the employee at the end, he looked confused and almost embarrassed to even work there. Quite honestly, I would've rather paid that kind of money to stay in the Tee Pee in the parking lot down the street! Would never go back there and would never recommend it!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank michellelynette34

chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

I still can't believe how bad our experience at the Landers house was. When we first got there, we were greeted by a teenager ready and waiting with our credit card slip to prepay. When we got to the cottage, I was appalled. The place had spiderwebs all over and had obviously not been cleaned in the last 6 months. On top of that we were paying $250 per night! There was even spiders in the shower! There wasn't even someone available on staff during the day for questions or to help with tips on the area. Save your money and go to the parks as a day trip or stay at the park lodge. This place markets itself as luxury accomodations when its really a ripoff and dirtier than a sleazy motel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chitraveler32

Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

My husband and I have stayed at Landers House twice - once in the cottage La Noche and once in the Serengeti cottage. My favorite was La Noche - though both were lovely. La Noche had fiber optic lights in the ceiling that was painted like the night sky - so it looked like twinkling stars. It was beautiful. Each cottage had it's own 2 person jacuzzi and 2 person shower, along with fireplace and upstairs sleeping loft. We were brought breakfast, juice and coffee in the morings. The food and service we received was wonderful. The best thing about Landers House was the attention to detail - every little nook had something in it to draw your eye.

The cost was a bit pricey for the cottages, but it was worth it for amazing the time that we had. There are 2 state parks close by that we went to. We also went horseback riding and rented jet-skis on the Illinois river. The only things I would say could be better would be some new mattresses (ours were very uncomfortable and sqeaky anytime you moved) and to replace the vcr's in the rooms with dvd players. Everything else would have been difficult to improve upon.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silverchairchick
Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

Stay away from Lander's House!!! We visited this place last month during the Memorial Day holiday. I was so excited when I saw the photos on the internet. Let me tell you the place is dirty! We stayed in the Serengeti cottage and there were stains on the carpet, spider webs, and dust everywhere. On the screened porch there were mounds of dust and fallen leaves, and spider webs there also. The landscape leading inside the courtyard has been neglected also. I called around several times looking for a place to stay and the owner of this place was the only one to return my call with availability. Now I know why. She charged me $250 a night and we stayed there for two nights. Beware of this place. If you don't care about cleanliness then Lander's house will be great for you. Upstairs in the bedroom we found dirty socks in one of the decorative crates, several bulbs were blown and never replaced during our stay. I don't want anyone else to stay here and pay the money I did so I feel it is my duty to warn everyone out there BEFORE they book a night at this place. I only wished I listened to the review I saw on Lander's House dated April, 2010. Check that one out too, it's all true!!!

2 Thank Beauty64

Chicago, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

I stayed at Landers House with my husband for one night and it almost ruined our entire weekend at the lovely Starved Rock and Matthiessen state parks. It's difficult to find words to describe how awfully DIRTY the whole place was. In the main house (the one shown on the website) there were stains on the tables, old bread crumbs, cigarette butts, old dried out cookies, glasses for "complimentary" coffee that were so dirty you would not dare touch them, not to mention spiderwebs. The only staff member we saw disappeared after showing us the room (which was located at an old dilapidated house next door, apparently part of the Landers House but not shown on the website--for obvious reasons). Our room was very cold and although we tried calling staff in the evening, no one ever got back to us. Our room was NOT CLEANED for our arrival. The sink was dirty, there were stains on the mirror, the water in the toilet was yellow, the bath towels smelled, there was a hole on the bathroom wall...Dust was everywhere and the glass tabletop located next to the bed was not wiped off and looked like someone ate something on it and did not clean up. We paid almost $150 for this room and we ended up sleeping in long sweatpants AND UNDER OUR OWN BLANKET as we were afraid to cover ourselves with the bedding provided. And since nobody ever got back to us about heating, we were cold throughout the night.
As we checked out, no staff member was there to talk to about our experience. When we finally found the owner's private number, she hung up on us, apparently irritated that we called her on Sunday. Well, if you're having guests pay $150 per night, you should understand that the type of business you're in requires that guests can get a hold of someone if there is a problem. Can you imagine lodging that has no staff on weekends?
It was a truly awful experience. We have traveled all over the U.S., Europe and the Midwest and never in our lives felt so disgusted by the condition of our accomodations.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank aewrobel

Landers House Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utica
7.2 km away
10.4 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Peru
7.9 km away
BEST WESTERN Oglesby Inn

Been to Landers House? Share your experiences!