All reviewsheavenly bedchess tournamentspg platinumbusiness hotelnicest hotelfitness centercooper's hawkshort drivebusiness travelvery nice hoteldunkin donutswould stay here againworkout roomguest roomshot tublobby arealarge room
Reviewed June 10, 2018

If you are visiting the Arlington Heights, Deerfield, Buffalo Grove or Wheeling area you have many choices, but only a few higher end hotels. I have stayed in them all and after staying at the Westin, which I have stayed at previously, I believe there are better choices. For this class of hotel I would give it a 2.5 stars, but the rooms are spacious and clean, so I felt a 3 was a little more forgiving. 3 stars for this class means it fell far below expectations (my expectation is at least a 4), but that does not mean this is a dumpy hotel. The rooms are large with plenty of outlets, clean, with a nice work area. It is conveniently located near the tollway and other roads to get you where you need to go, but here is why I really marked it down (runners, bikers and hikers see commentary below):
Soundproofing in the rooms is poor. I heard the people next to me and for some reason when these heavy doors close they slam. So, if someone is leaving at 5:00 am you are up at 5:00 am if they happen to be next to you. The whole bed shook from the door closing multiple times.
Westin is supposed to be known for providing workout clothing. They advertise it constantly. I was there for 3 nights and not once did they have anything in my size. Only XXL in shirts, no shoes etc. That tells me that they really don’t have the equipment they are advertising and they should either purchase more or simply stop advertising it.
If you are gold with Marriott don’t expect to get gold benefits here. No way and they are a little nasty about it too. You have to be platinum with SPG to get anything. Even though it is now one company they have not merged the programs, nor Marriott’s more congenial attitude.
Unless you have status the WiFi is very expensive. Think of this as a convention hotel that is there to get dollars from the companies paying for employees to be there. If your company is not paying for the freight it is pricey. If you go down the road there is a hotel that is half the price, freshly remodeled and the WiFi is free.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I was with other people who had their own rooms. None of us felt the beds were particularly comfortable. They weren’t awful, but either they weren’t the “Heavenly” beds Westin is known for or these are just old and need to be replaced.
Something that I did not rate the hotel for was the adjacent restaurant since I believe it is independently owned. I am doing a separate review on them, but after waiting 35-40 minutes to just get an omelet the order for some of us came out wrong. The food was otherwise okay, but having been there for over an hour you certainly don’t want to go there for a speedy meal in the morning. If you go down Milwaukee south just past Dundee you will find a wonderful pancake/diner restaurant. It should take you 5 minutes to get there.
As I said above, it is not a bad hotel, I just expected more from them. I should therefore list the positives:
Location, large and bright rooms, clean and plenty of storage. There is also a coffee maker, one robe (you can call down for more), and free water.
The bathroom has one sink with a decent size counter top and a shower/tub combination with a shower curtain. Lighting was very good throughout the room and if you open up the blinds you should get a lot of light.
The lobby of the hotel is spacious. A very short walk away are multiple restaurants. You need a car to get to any real shopping.
If you are a runner, walker or biker you are near trails that go on further than you could ever walk, run or bike. They generally follow the Des Plains River. To access the trails go past the convention center parking lot. You will see in the SE corner the trail which will lead you over a bridge. If it has rained recently you should turn left as if you head south it gets washed-out. There are a few offshoots, but the trails are clearly marked.
The principal purpose of all hotels is give you a nice room in which to rest and/or work and ultimately this hotel delivers, though the beds could be more comfortable and noise was an issue.
I had no wait to check-in and I found the staff helpful and courteous, but there was a wait to check-out.
I am adding additional checklist information for those that are interested:
Check in
My reservation record was accurate.
The check-in process was timely and efficient.
The check-in staff was courteous.
Guest Room
My room was clean and comfortable.
My room was furnished appropriately.
My bed and bedding was mostly comfortable, but not luxurious.
The room was mostly quiet and large sized.
Guest Staff
The guest staff was prompt but not overly friendly.
The guest staff was knowledgeable and fully answered my questions about the area.
Housekeeping staff was friendly and reliable.
Food and Dining
The food and dining staff were courteous, but not too attentive.
The food quality was fair.
Amenities
I did not use any though it seems to have a nice workout room with a Pelaton.
Room Tip: The hotel is a good size. An East facing room will get you a view of the forest preserve. Everything else looks over parking lots, but you will still see plenty of green from the higher floors.

Room Tip: Facing East gives you a view of the forest preserve
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Stacey S
Reviewed June 9, 2018

I was here for a couple days at the end of May 2018 for a chess tournament. I stayed on the club member's floor and had no problems with my stay. The room was clean and very comfortable. The WiFi worked well. Check-in was very quick and check-out as well. There are restaurants roughly 30seconds-1minute walking distance - other than that, the hotel is a little secluded from other nearby attractions.

The gym is very small - correction, the weight lifting room is very small, while the cardio room is very big. The pool was a nice addition.

Overall, I was very happy with my short stay, and will be returning if the chess tournament is located in this area again.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

So I’m originally from the general area, we moved to Florida 5 years ago. Stood at the Westin for my sisters wedding which was at a country club within a few miles of the Westin. Upon check in we were welcomed by “James” who was terrific to us for the duration of our stay. Also, “Joseph” who was wonderful. James shuttled me back and forth as I pleased and Joseph went over and beyond upgrading us to a Corner king room and helping us pick out really great restaurants every night. I can’t say enough for the entire staff everyone I encountered during my stay was awesome !! Great job <3

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2018

We stayed here during a Chicago chess tournament. We had two adjoining rooms which were spacious and enabled us to spread out and feel quite at home. The pool entertained my kids between games and I made good use of the work out facility. We did not eat at the restaurant as there were many others within walking distance and a short drive. My only complaint was when housekeeping knocked on our door at 7:30 on a Saturday morning - make sure to hang your Do Not Disturb sign! We will definitely stay here again as my son plans to play in more tournaments.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2018 via mobile

Large room and up-to-date bathroom. Good water pressure and nice rain shower. Upgraded to a workout room and loved it! Treadmill, exercise ball, yoga mat, towels and water. Good, inexpensive Italian restaurant connected to hotel and shop downstairs with Starbucks/snacks/sundries. Other restaurants walkable.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business