“Know what you're getting into”

Raging Waves Waterpark
Ranked #1 of 12 things to do in Yorkville
More attraction details
Owner description: Raging Waves is Illinois’ largest outdoor waterpark, located on more than 45 acres in Yorkville, Ill., 45 minutes west of the Chicago loop. Every summer, families visit this Aussie-themed, family-friendly waterpark, which features 20 water slides, a separate kiddie pool area, a wave pool, a lazy river, 24 private cabanas, and more. Open in 2008, Raging Waves was named by USA Today as a top summer destination.
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Raging waves is far away enough to feel like a vacation but close enough for a great day trip. Took about an hour and 15 mins to get to from Chicago. The place is only 4 years old so it is still clean and nice (unlike Deep River in Merrilville IN or Magic Waters in Rockford-ick). If you don't want to eat there, no problem, there is a Wendy's, Culver's, McD's, BK, Jewel-Osco, all within a few mins away. Only dissapointment- the kid's playpark has 4 slides and a child has to be 42" tall to ride the 2 taller ones, 36" for the 2 smaller ones. My son who is 41" was not allowed to slide down the 2 at the top and was very upset. They are allowed to climb all the way up there, wait in line, then be denied a ride down. I understand rules are in place but at Kalahari in Wis Dells he was riding way longer slides as long as he had a life vest on. It would be nice if they had similar rules. So just keep this in mind if you are bringing smaller kids.

1  Thank roadtripbrit

Reviewed 27 July 2011

Don't bother bringing your kids that are under 42 inches tall. Actually don't bring kids that are under 45 inches tall as the way that measure kids for the rides is totally inconsistent. There isn't anything for them to do. Even the slides in the little kid area require the kid to be 42 inches. My son is 42.5 inches tall and we got stopped at the top of EVERY ride and had to be remeasured. They use pvc pipe to measure height that is crazy inconsistent between rides. Several times we went on a ride and then got back in line only to be told that now (due to a change in staff for that ride) my son was not tall enough. How Frustrating! I wish someone would have told me that I would be paying almost $20 for my son and almost $30 for myself to get in and have him not be able to go on everything without being harassed. I would not go back until they came up with a way to measure kids once at the gate and give them a wrist band to identify them as tall enough for the rides.

2  Thank NicoleF1_1
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I am a mother of young children and I am always looking for something fun to do with them. We picked Raging Waves because my kids are in swim lessons and they LOVE the water and this place was only 40 minutes from my home.

There were two things that really surprised me as I entered. First, the size. I am not sure how may acres it is on but it is HUGE! Second, it was IMMACULATE. I have never been to an entertainment destination that is this clean before. No gum on the the grounds, no garbage on the ground, crazy clean. The lifeguards and staff were so friendly we were impressed. They really put me at ease about my kids. My kids are 5 and under and they had a blast! I was concerned at first but we were there for 6 hours and they flew by! When we were leaving my kids exclaimed "but we just got here!" They played in the kiddie pool, sprinklers, kiddie play structure, went around the lazy river a few times and loved , loved, loved, jumping the waves at the edge of the wavepool. The sandy beach area was amazing! 2 hours were spent there alone! The food is good and not pricy and the parking is free! My kids are STILL talking about Raging Waves so we will have to return before the summer is out. Loved it!

2  Thank Kuhdog
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We have been to Raging Waves for the last two years. My 8 year old loves it and my husband and I have a pretty good time too! As with any amusement park, there are lines to deal with, but the beauty is that for every popular ride that has a really long line, there are several of the slides that have virtually no waiting and you can get alot of fun in that way. We usually hit the popular rides up first thing when we get there before they get at their busiest. My son loves the tidal wave pool, though I get a little nervous when it is wall to wall people. There are alot of lifeguards manning it, but it is still best to keep your eye on your kids. The park is clean and the staff is friendly. I would agree with a previous review that a few more shady areas would be good. FYI, you can almost always find an online discount code to save some $ on your tickets.

3  Thank bzimom
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I've been to Raging waves quite a bit with family in the area. We have never had a problem taking in water to drink, until this last time. The new rule of the "security" people/park is that water now has to be manufactory sealed in order to take it in. Rediculous that I can't take in water, but they said you can bring in as much ice as you want. pathetic.

2  Thank lazyshark