“Tasty” 4 of 5 bubbles

My Thai Cafe
Ranked #21 of 342 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2011

This was our first visit to this Thai restaurant. The location is good and parking is easy. The decor was nicer than I expected. The food was very good. I had a curry (hot) and my husband had a dish made with bean threads (Thai hot). Both were tasty. I thought that the portions sizes were a little small for the prices.

• Visited September 2011

• Korean first
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Consistently Great Thai Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2011

We have dinner here about once a month. The food is always well prepared and we generally have good service. I travel to Bangkok 4 times a year for work and the food is very close in flavor and preparation to the food I get when I am in Thailand. The key difference is some ingredients used in Thailand are not available locally here in Bloomington. It is a bit pricy, but given the consistent quaility, it feels worth it.

• Visited October 2010
Poland, Indiana
“Great food but not spicy enough each time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

We have been to My Thai in Bloomington 3 times in the past 5 months. We love Thai food but we like it hot. Each time we've ordered the hottest (Thai hot) it was merely mild to our tastes. They just don't offer the spicyness we would like in our Thai food. But this is probably because they've really Americanized that part of their cooking for people in Indiana.

With that said, the food is great. We just love it. It is a little over-priced for the amount of food but it's still very tasty and we've tried many of the items on the menu. The staff is great, the ambiance is perfect, the food is fresh and well-prepared. If they could give a little more of the traditional Thai heat-bump to the food when ordered to be VERY HOT that would be a big plus. Probably number 1 or 2 for Bloomington's Thai options (there are at least 6 Thai options in Bloomington).

• Visited April 2011
Indiana
“Good food---but....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2010

I would have given this place 4 stars as the food was good and the place was clean, service quick and the surroundings were relatively pleasant. But I feel I must deduct one star each for:
...
--VALUE--- @8.95 the lunch special is VERY expensive for this part of the country+ plus you only get a smal entree and a demitasse sized cup of soup. At my favorite Thai place 45 miles down the road in Terre Haute-- you get about 25% larger portions of entree and soup PLUS a small side salad for $6.95.

--Personal Hygiene of my server-- My server walked around the dining room with her finger either at or in her nose. I didn't just observe this once---it was repeatedly and near continuously for the 40 minutes or so that I was there. I was pretty sure she didn't actually handle my food --or I would have definitely bolted.

I might go back if I'm feeling rich, as the food was very good.. I think I'll try to set in a different section though.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Bloomington, IN
“Best Thai in Bloomington - but, not "The" best Thai...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

OK, so here is the scoop... My wife and I went here on a recommendation by a good friend of ours who recommended this place as the best Thai in Bloomington. On this point he did not fail, compared to other Thai restaurants that have seen the quality of their food decline, this restaurant was refreshing in both the decor and tastes. While in comparison to other Thais restaurants on the north side of Indianapolis and in Terra Haute, I would have to say that things were not quite up to par.

Let me explain, I love spicy, hence I love Korean, Indonesian, Jamaican and Thai food with a passion. Thai food is exceptionally unique because of the curries are served with coconut milk, Thai basil is refreshingly unique, use of mint is prolific in many of their dishes, Thai peppers, while not as hot as the scotch bonnet (aka habanero), provides enough heat to wake you from your slumber. **Warning** if you find black pepper spicy make sure to go with the mild. Other flavors unique to this food are the use of Kaffir lime leaves, lime juice, fish sauce, and not to be outdone, lemon grass.

Our meal included many of these flavors mentioned but in disparate amounts that were, in my experience, Americanized to suite the palate of the locals. First off, Tom Yum is supposed to be sour and while the heat can be controlled with the amount of Thai Peppers, typically I have seen this served mild heat though fresh thai peppers were almost always served on the side to add a bit of a punch. Our dish came out with a minimal amount of roughage (i.e. galangal & lemon grass). The mushrooms seemed fresh and not canned, and while there were not tomatoes in the soup, the shrimp were tender and deveined allowing them to compliment what could have been a good experience. What ruined it for us was something that was overlooked – there was zero sour and the soup was way too sweet. It was like drinking sweet chicken soup and was very unsavory. I was almost tempted to send it back to the kitchen when our main dishes arrived.

My wife had the Pad Thai (Hot) and I ordered the Thai Pepper Steak with Thai basil and green and red peppers (Thai hot). Let me start off by saying – the Pad Thai was exceptional. With the exception of what I thought was a bit too much oil, the dish was outstanding and noodles were not over cooked. The pepper steak on the other hand, well overall the dish was cooked well with the basil giving it that extra kick that is needed to make this dish purely Thai – what was missing was the dash of fish sauce to give it that unique flavor and a bit more soy sauce to square out round out the flavors from the beef. Overall, I would have to rate this as a 2 out of 5 in my book seeing as I have had better – but once again – not in Bloomington.

Finally, to round this out, the spice for our dishes were swapped causing my wife a bit of a surprise when she found her dish a bit spicier that expected. I on the other hand found that not enough spice was added as her dish was nowhere near Thai Hot, though a dish of Thai peppers quickly took care of the heat needed to make the dish more authentic. Last little suggestion, with the exception of one friendly waitress that worked here that was from Chicago, do not expect your waitress to speak or understand much in the way of English. Yes Toto, we are no longer in Kansas and true to form, Bloomington is and can be an international community with tons of international flavors and smells. But remember, if you want authentic Thai, you may have to travel outside of Bloomington.

Overall, this restaurant get a 4 out of 5 for décor because a little less might actually make this place seem less formal and hence offer a more comfortable dining experience for the paper napkins they place on your table. For the food, a 3.5 out of 5 since a little more care on who gets what , quantities of certain ingredients, and overall preparation and omission of certain key ingredients leave those looking for authentic Thai food a bit disappointed. If you are simply looking for the best Thai in Bloomington, IN – then this is the place for you – and the décor and friendly waitresses will not disappoint.

• 2 of 5 bubbles