“An unique combination of an Historic Home and Martha Shea”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brookville
The Hermitage Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Brookville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 August 2016

We are 4 couples (church friends) who have enjoyed an annual August two day trip celebrating our August Wedding Anniversaries together now for 15 years.

Cindy Cornelius, daughter of the 2016 planning couple, suggested we plan our trip for 2016 in the Brookville, Indiana area and stay overnight at the Hermitage Bed and Breakfast.

Upon the planning couple visiting the Hermitage Bed & Breakfast and meeting with the Owner/Innkeeper, reservations were made for our group's overnight stay in Brookville, IN.

Our trip included enjoying a day of activities in Metamora, Indiana, evening meal at Ainsley's Café, interesting tours of the many Underground RR Stations in Ohio. However, it was the consensus of our group that the highlight of our trip was time spent at the Hermitage just enjoying the "home-away-from-home" comfort of the sleeping rooms, the large dining area for eating and sharing time, lounging on the large veranda while sipping fresh iced tea and listening to Martha enlighten us with the history of Brookville and the Hermitage.

In great appreciation of Martha Shea,
The August Anniversary Group from Indianapolis, Indiana

Room Tip: Depending on availability, you get to choose your room.
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 July 2016

The house itself was clean and well appointed historical home. The bed was also quite comfortable and we slept well. However while we were gone to nearby Metamora, we discovered that she had gone into our room and turned off our air conditioning and opened our windows. The only locks on the doors were flimsy hooks and there were only two bathrooms to accommodate 8 to 10 guests. I thought well there at least would be breakfast to look forward to. It is after all, a bed and breakfast. Wrong. Breakfast consisted of watermelon, unappealing biscuits and thin gravy. We left hungry and in fact could not wait to leave. It was not quite what I expected. I had wanted a romantic getaway for me and my husband, but it fell short of that expectation.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2016

If you’re up for an artistic/historic adventure, you might try The Hermitage B&B in Brookville. It’s a bit of an adventure just getting there on the winding roads of SR229 and US52, but The Hermitage and innkeeper Martha Shea provide a unique B&B experience. She welcomed us and provided a quick tour of the historic property, with comments about local history... while baking a pecan pie that she later shared. The library in particular, with its leaded glass windows and Craftsman oak bookcases filled with 19th century books, is a time capsule. Pulling one of those books off the shelf, I discovered a 1905 postcard to Otto Stark, one of the “Hoosier School” artists with a strong association to The Hermitage. Martha has lived in the house for 38 years, and can tell you about those artists; an original and some reproductions hang on the walls. The house isn’t restored with historical accuracy (and you’ll have to leave your room for a stand-up shower), but it (and its innkeeper) is warm and welcoming.

Room Tip: Check about bathroom situation with each room
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mack3065
Reviewed 23 December 2015

I grew up in Brookville the first 18 years of my life. I always loved history, and had never visited The Hermitage before. It took me 39 years to get there. I was very impressed. The home is a historical landmark. Martha, the owner was so nice to show us around. She is a wealth of knowledge on the history in Brookville. The home was built in 1834. There are many antiques and paintings. The home is very well decorated. One of the things that fascinated me was the guest register book. It had a calling card of President Benjamin Harrison's wife (Caroline). I work as a volunteer tour guide at the Benjamin Harrison home in Indianapolis. Also, this was the home of famous Indiana artist T.C. Steele. She has a painting of his hanging in the house. If you like history and visiting beautiful homes, I highly recommend it. Thank you again Martha for a wonderful visit.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2014

We stayed for 2 nights for a family event and it had such a cozy and comfortable atmosphere. Martha was a wonderful host. We stayed in the twin bed room upstairs. We had a great wifi connection and I slept like an angel. The trip was wonderful from start to finish. Thanks Martha! Can't wait to stay again next year.

• Stayed: December 2014
3  Thank Friscomom2
Reviewed 30 November 2014

My fiance and 2 children stayed here in July, it was a wonderful place to stay. Martha was a great host. We stayed for about 7 days and my only recommendation would be to provide a place to unpack our clothes. We literally had to live out of
our suitcases for 7 days. No space provided to unpack...

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Chynablk
Reviewed 2 October 2014

Was a pleasant stay Until 10 minutes after we left and the Owner called me and accused my 9 year old daughter of stealing a gaudy glass (a glass that gave her the creeps and she refused to drink from) Which is funny because our luggage was in the car before we went in for breakfast and her glasses were on the table when we finished and she walked my family and i to the door. These Glasses were Huge if one was taken there would be No hiding it IT WOULD BE NOTICED especially in the hand of a 45 pound girl!!! We also spent 10 minutes on her porch taking photos in the hammock yet we didnt hear a word about this glass until we were on the road she didnt even consider that the other guests who were unattended in the dining room as we left might have taken it. It disgusts me! Her FALSE and merit-less accusation upset my daughter so much she was crying and basically ruined the rest of our trip. And for the record we are a very wealthy family with no need to steal anything PERIOD! I should have cancelled the check i wrote her for such an insult but im an honest person.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank DAKP2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brookville
25.6 km away
0.6 km away
Brookville Lodge
Brookville Lodge
#1 of 1 in Brookville

Been to The Hermitage Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!