Brookville Lodge(Brookville)
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed July 8, 2016

The house itself was clean and well appointed historical home. The bed was also quite comfortable and we slept well. However while we were gone to nearby Metamora, we discovered that she had gone into our room and turned off our air conditioning and opened our windows. The only locks on the doors were flimsy hooks and there were only two bathrooms to accommodate 8 to 10 guests. I thought well there at least would be breakfast to look forward to. It is after all, a bed and breakfast. Wrong. Breakfast consisted of watermelon, unappealing biscuits and thin gravy. We left hungry and in fact could not wait to leave. It was not quite what I expected. I had wanted a romantic getaway for me and my husband, but it fell short of that expectation.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2016

If you’re up for an artistic/historic adventure, you might try The Hermitage B&B in Brookville. It’s a bit of an adventure just getting there on the winding roads of SR229 and US52, but The Hermitage and innkeeper Martha Shea provide a unique B&B experience. She welcomed us and provided a quick tour of the historic property, with comments about local history... while baking a pecan pie that she later shared. The library in particular, with its leaded glass windows and Craftsman oak bookcases filled with 19th century books, is a time capsule. Pulling one of those books off the shelf, I discovered a 1905 postcard to Otto Stark, one of the “Hoosier School” artists with a strong association to The Hermitage. Martha has lived in the house for 38 years, and can tell you about those artists; an original and some reproductions hang on the walls. The house isn’t restored with historical accuracy (and you’ll have to leave your room for a stand-up shower), but it (and its innkeeper) is warm and welcoming.

Room Tip: Check about bathroom situation with each room
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mack3065
Reviewed December 23, 2015

I grew up in Brookville the first 18 years of my life. I always loved history, and had never visited The Hermitage before. It took me 39 years to get there. I was very impressed. The home is a historical landmark. Martha, the owner was so nice to show us around. She is a wealth of knowledge on the history in Brookville. The home was built in 1834. There are many antiques and paintings. The home is very well decorated. One of the things that fascinated me was the guest register book. It had a calling card of President Benjamin Harrison's wife (Caroline). I work as a volunteer tour guide at the Benjamin Harrison home in Indianapolis. Also, this was the home of famous Indiana artist T.C. Steele. She has a painting of his hanging in the house. If you like history and visiting beautiful homes, I highly recommend it. Thank you again Martha for a wonderful visit.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed December 31, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights for a family event and it had such a cozy and comfortable atmosphere. Martha was a wonderful host. We stayed in the twin bed room upstairs. We had a great wifi connection and I slept like an angel. The trip was wonderful from start to finish. Thanks Martha! Can't wait to stay again next year.

• Stayed: December 2014
3  Thank Friscomom2
Reviewed November 30, 2014

My fiance and 2 children stayed here in July, it was a wonderful place to stay. Martha was a great host. We stayed for about 7 days and my only recommendation would be to provide a place to unpack our clothes. We literally had to live out of
our suitcases for 7 days. No space provided to unpack...

• Stayed: July 2014