“Very nice and great government rate” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indianapolis Marriott Downtown

Indianapolis Marriott Downtown
Ranked #30 of 178 Hotels in Indianapolis
Peru, Indiana
“Very nice and great government rate”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I was attending a conference downtown and the hotel hosting the conference was sold out. I stayed here just a couple blocks away from my conference. Got a great government rate of $92/day. Room was clean, comfortable and quiet.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor for a better view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I am glad you enjoyed the experience. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
indianapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

I will never stay at a Marriott Again, This was the worst time i ever had. $28 to park really! This was a free night award that my son won and they charged me $212.44 to stay, guess they don't know what free is. Got kicked out of the fitness room for wearing pants. They want to charge for a breakfast that is free in any other hotel in the US. I will never recommend any one to ever stay at the Marriott down town Indy, there is a Super 8 close by.

Room Tip: Super 8 is close will be a better time.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am not clear on where the misunderstanding is on the free stay but I am happy to assist straightening the situation out. The charges for parking and breakfast is competitive with other full service hotels downtown in Indianapolis. I am sorry they came as a surprise to you.

Please feel free to contact me at 317-405-6040 for billing assistance if needed.

Phil Ray
michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Average room, clean, and no bedbugs, so that should make for a great review, right?? However... this place is supposed to run more that $200 a night, and man would I be peeved if I had payed anything close to that! From our very average room at the very average downtown Marriott, we had a gorgeous view of the gorgeous JW Marriott across the street--what a bummer. Here's the negatives: a) no exhaust fan in the bathroom, a clear downfall when you're sharing close quarters with people you hope will still love you when you leave, b) the sink, hairdryer and all mirrors are inside the bathroom with the toilet & shower, so it's really tough to get more than one person ready to leave for the day, c) with "luxury" hotels, you get charged for all the "extras," like no free parking ($23 bucks/night), no free breakfast (don't even ask how much the restaurant/room service charges), no fridge, and no free Wi-Fi ($12/day). In my opinion, that just sucks. Sure, you get free coffee in the room, which is crap that tastes like hot, brown colored water. Positives: nice bedding with no grody comforters, firm beds, quiet heat/AC, friendly & helpful staff at the front desk, great location in a clean & secure neighborhood. You decide.

Room Tip: DON'T pay full price for a room here. Definitely use a discount site like priceline or hotwire.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GM_Ray2010, General Manager at Indianapolis Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for staying with us. I appreciate your feedback. Our hotel has been rated a four diamond hotel for all 11 years we have been open and strive to maintain that quality level in product and with our service. Our pricing is based on staying competitive with other full service hotels in our market. I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Stayed here for a conference at the convention center. It has a skywalk to the convention center, nearby hotels, and the circle centre mall. You never have to step outdoors. This is great if the weather is unfavorable. Short walking distance to many things!!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Kettering, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I was here for a convention the week after the Super Bowl and everyone in town seemed worn out, so I will give the staff here some slack. The front desk staff were extremely pleasant, but the overall service in the hotel seemed disengaged. The hotel seems old and tired, especially compared to others in the area, like the Conrad. The location is good, but there are many hotels in the area that are equally well situated. I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards guest, so I am obviously partial to Marriott hotels, especially when traveling within the US. I don't think I would stay here again if the choice was left to me.

They charge for the internet (one of my pet peeves) but take it off the bill for Rewards guests, which is acceptable. What isn't acceptable is what happened to me at the bar when I bought a couple rounds of drinks for our group before we headed out to dinner. We stood at the bar, talking for about 45 minutes and then had to go to dinner, so I closed out my tab, tipped generously (20%) , folded the receipt in my wallet and went out to dinner.

It wasn't until a week later, when I was filling out my expense report, that I saw that there was an 18% tip ALREADY ADDED to the bill before it was handed to me. The bill still had a blank line for the tip under the total (which, remember, had the tip included already), so I missed it. The "service charge" was entered as a line item amongst the beers and as such was not easy to spot. It was listed as a "service charge" for parties of 8 or more. I don't think there were even 8 of us, but that wouldn't matter at the bar anyway.

When I called the hotel about this and talked to a manager, she naturally took the "service charge" off the bill, which upon reflection still meant that I tipped on an inflated figure. She said that the bartender was supposed to take the "service charge" off if I tipped also. Really? You inflate the bill by $35, allow the customer to tip on the inflated total, then take the "service charge" off? How many times does that actually happen?

This is a situation where even thought the manager was apologetic and pleasant, I will still avoid this hotel the next time I am in town.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the State House
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank criswelldavis
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am sorry the hotel staff seemed tired following the Super Bowl. Our goal was to not have a let down after the big weekend, but it sounds like we missed the mark with you.

I apologize for the service charge situation when the server did not identify the added charge as they presented the bill for your review. Your critique is accurate and I will work with my team to correct the process so other guests do not have the same experience you did.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss further. My phone number is 317-405-6040.
Ravenswood, West Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Hotel is located directly next to the convention center and the stadium. The zoo and several museums are in walking distance. The hotel meet expectations, although our double twin room was small for a family of four. The cleanliness of the bathroom floor could have been better but was overall satisfactory. The restaurant was closed on Sunday afternoon which is not uncommen but was an inconvienience for us. The hotel bar was open and served small meals/ sandwiches. We just wanted to grab a quick lunch and waited +30 minutes after the bartender took our order. Refills were by request only. The lunch was clearly too expensive for what you got.

• Stayed March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us. We are happy your experience was excellent and we do look forward to you returning soon!
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

I got checked in early ( almost two hours) with no problems! The valet parking was a plus and everyone was nice from the moment I pulled up. The bell man went above and beyond to make my family happy. my hotel room was very clean and just the way i hoped for didn't have any problem. Hotel was very quite even with a lot of people around. If you needed or wanted something they where right on it to get it or fix it. Stayed on the Th floor had one of the best hotel stays i could ask for. Defiantly looking forward to going back their again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us. I am happy you had an excellent experience. We ope to see you again very soon!